BOAC

Carrying E-Bikes in a 4x4

I have a Hyundai Santa Fe (4x4 with large cargo area) and two Halfords Carrera cross city folding E-cycles that I want to carry in the Santa Fe.

The caravan is a Freedom Jetstream so that carrying the cycles in, or on it is out of the equation. 

Has anyone any bright ideas, or know of any mounting or fixing devices that will keep the bikes secure while travelling please. Any suggestions welcome, including humorous ones.

I would like to keep the cycles upright, thus giving more space rather than laying them down, so that I have space left for the myriad of gubbins (Technical term) necessary for caravanning.

Thanks

If you have a a bolt-on towball, you can buy bike racks to fit between towbar and ball - it would become part of the noseweight but with a lightweight caravan like the Freedom, that shouldn't be an issue.

How about a roof rack?

This is what I do BOAC.

I made it from a piece of 20mm plywood with some stainless steel brackets bolted to it with quick release skewers.

It is profiled to fit around the luggage net eyes which when lifted up prevent it moving and it's held down with a strap.

Keeps the bikes safe, clean and dry in the process.

Screenshot_20190507-085406.thumb.png.2096380a6ca31f37ba4e2c639e771c95.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We used to put our two mountain bikes in the back of our Jeep Cherokee. I bought a piece of threaded bar (M10 I think) and some wing nuts + nyloc nuts (all form B&Q). Front wheels taken out of bikes using quick release spindle nuts. Bikes into car and forks onto spindle. Tighten wing nuts. Two well placed bikes. The awning and other bits were placed between the bikes. The threaded bar occupies virtually no space when not in use.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

If you have a a bolt-on towball, you can buy bike racks to fit between towbar and ball - it would become part of the noseweight but with a lightweight caravan like the Freedom, that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks Grouse. We would like to keep them in the tow car. Out of sight, out of mind etc.

Then there is the cost of buying the necessary carriers etc., 

Also, my insurance company has put the mokkers on that idea.

Cheers

14 minutes ago, kelper said:

How about a roof rack?

How secure are they against some git with bolt cutters? I honestly don't know anything about roof racks but, again, out of sight etc.

Thanks Griff and Ern.

NOW we are cooking on gas. Very ingenious you two are. Full marks to you both.

You have given me food for thought. 

I've already told you how to take them with you....

You just need a frame to attach the bikes too, then fit a tow ball and 13pin socket and then hitch the caravan to it and start  pedalling..

Saves on road tax, car insurance, maintenance and fuel...

No pollution eithef😊😊😊

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, pete the jeep said:

I've already told you how to take them with you....

You just need a frame to attach the bikes too, then fit a tow ball and 13pin socket and then hitch the caravan to it and start  pedalling..

Saves on road tax, car insurance, maintenance and fuel...

No pollution eithef😊😊😊

WOW! The son of Einstein is alive and well. The intelligence and thought that has been devoted to the ultimate solution is beyond belief. Thank you Oh wise one. 

You mean something like the below. 

Thanks Pete. PS Don't give up the day job:D

Caravan - Cycle.jpg

3 hours ago, BOAC said:

Thanks Grouse. We would like to keep them in the tow car. Out of sight, out of mind etc.

Then there is the cost of buying the necessary carriers etc., 

Also, my insurance company has put the mokkers on that idea.

Cheers

How secure are they against some git with bolt cutters? I honestly don't know anything about roof racks but, again, out of sight etc.

Thanks Griff and Ern.

NOW we are cooking on gas. Very ingenious you two are. Full marks to you both.

You have given me food for thought. 

CMC are now installing bike lockers on some sites after bikes are being stolen by locals I have seen .

One case I heard of the thieves tried undoing the bolts fixed to a MH to steal the bikes fixed to the rack as one .

Dave

27 minutes ago, BOAC said:

WOW! The son of Einstein is alive and well. The intelligence and thought that has been devoted to the ultimate solution is beyond belief. Thank you Oh wise one. 

You mean something like the below. 

Thanks Pete. PS Don't give up the day job:D

Caravan - Cycle.jpg

Yes...

But with a bit of adapting you could make it have 2 bikes. ...

Then Sue wouldn't have to do all the work. .... you could help her by pedalling as well then😂😂😂😂

• Haha 1

Hi BOAC

I have a similar situation to yourself.

I put the back seat down (there are only the 2 of us). The Volt Metro LS, has its own bag, which it lives in, when folded. I purchased from Amazon a couple of (see image) so the bike dose not scratch its self in transit. It sits on the passenger side, in a vertical position. If we had more bikes, I could get possibly 3 across the back seats in this con figuration. I use the seatbelts as extra anchorage. Helmet and bike clothing in the footwells.

This leaves the back of the car for chairs or loungers, awning canopy & poles, camera equipment Peli box and anything else she wants shoe horned in. LOL

CommanderDave

For security, all Volt bikes come with a fitted Abus bike lock, I negotiated the extension security chain as part of the deal. The bike is locked to a caravan steadie and when not in use, the battery & saddle are removed.

But as I have always said, if they want it, same with the caravan, they will get it?

61pL4+gL5QL._SL1000_[1].jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BOAC said:

I have a Hyundai Santa Fe (4x4 with large cargo area) and two Halfords Carrera cross city folding E-cycles that I want to carry in the Santa Fe.

The options are many and varied but I think Griff has hit the nail on the head if you want to keep the bikes inside the Santa Fe.

image.png

Unless you're feeling super-fit!

• Haha 1

We both have electric bikes and once pitched, we leave the bikes in the car as shown in my earlier post and chained to each other, store the wheels under the bed and the batteries in the awning.

That way if someone were to break into the car they would have a job on their hands to get anywhere with two half bikes.

Only bring the parts together if we intend to cycle.

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Gordon said:

The options are many and varied but I think Griff has hit the nail on the head if you want to keep the bikes inside the Santa Fe.

But the OP's bikes are folders! image taken from "https://www.sevendaycyclist.com/carrera-crosscity-folding-electric-" So I don't think Griff's example would work in this situation. (very good setup for rigid frame).

OP needs this https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-accessories/bike-bags-baskets/ridge-folding-bike-bag

You just see a big bag!

DSC_4766_JPG[1].jpg

Edited by David P
  • Thanks 1

One of our first electrics was a folder, an AS Bikes folder.

When I transported that one, it when in the Discovery in an unfolded state just as the two current mountain bikes, front wheel out just the same.

Plenty of room in the Discovery.

Our E-Bikes both have rigid frames and have usually been carried either on top of the towcar, or the rear of the caravan. Since moving to a MH the two (non-electric) folders live in the garage in a semi-folded state, ie handlebars and saddles collapsed but with the frames left unfolded thus:-

Bikes in MH garage.jpg

We have two Kalkhoff e-bikes that we carry in the car. Front wheel off and I have made a small stand that takes the forks, and stabilise the bike. I then use a ratchet strap that  fixes the bike in place. The straps fix to a recessed bar in the back of the folded seat back which I assume are to fix a childs seat. the rest of the caravan equipment fits in and around the bikes. Works very well. Even get the tow bar mounted cycle carrier and the air awning in the car. When I load them up to go home will take a photo. If I remember.

15 hours ago, David P said:

But the OP's bikes are folders! image taken from "https://www.sevendaycyclist.com/carrera-crosscity-folding-electric-" So I don't think Griff's example would work in this situation. (very good setup for rigid frame).

OP needs this https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-accessories/bike-bags-baskets/ridge-folding-bike-bag

You just see a big bag!

DSC_4766_JPG[1].jpg

Many thanks to all contributors who have given their thoughts and advice, however, DAVID P has to take the Oscar according to Sue and me.

Having the cycles in a bag with webbing attached will provide a means of anchoring the cycle to the cargo anchoring points in the Santa Fe.

Thanks for taking the trouble in posting David P.

:Thankyou:

18 hours ago, Griff said:

One of our first electrics was a folder, an AS Bikes folder.

AS bikes sell zip around bags. I have one. Good quality.

Bikes fit in cars best with the front wheel and seat removed. On most bikes these are easily removed since the normally have quick release mechanisms. After doing this stand the bikes upright and just use some luggage straps and old sheets/cloths over to stop them being scratched.

Yesterday I had to transport three bikes 200 miles from home and collect my trailer to bring back home. While I do have a dedicated cycle carrier for the car, with the handle bars folded, the three bikes simply went straight in the back of the Volvo, and the trailer hitched on the back for the return journey. The only problem was caused by the extensive sections of motorway with speed restrictions, and lane blockers who drive ten miles under the limit yet stubbornly refuse to pull over after overtaking! Grrr!

On 27/05/2019 at 11:41, wigandiver said:

AS bikes sell zip around bags. I have one. Good quality.

I found AS Bikes stuff to be good quality generally and certainly they sell well engineered folders with an after sales service second to none.

Only sold mine as I also have an electric mountain bike and was using it less and less as it was more a road or smooth track bike.