Sign in to follow this  
Ricster

Caravan Leveller

Hi All,

I have started looking for a caravan leveller, I have Milenco plastic wedges, but sometimes find it is a pain getting them lined up and slippage etc. Airbag V aluminium lifter, what do you think??

Hi I bought an airbag as I use an Alko wheel lock.

Cost approx £100

Procedure

1 move caravan with mover to line up wheel lock

2 fit wheel lock

3 mark centre of wheel on ground

4 remove wheel lock

5 move caravan

6 lay airbag on ground with centre lined up with centre mark

7 move caravan lining up wheel centre etc

8 fit wheel lock

9 apply brakes-fail to do this?-caravan slides off bag!

10 inflate bag

We try and find a level pitch😂😂

I don't have the wheel lock issue, but ooh errr, not sure about the slipping off issue, would plastic chocks on either side of the opposite wheel help do you think? 

Posted (edited)

If you want the aluminium lifter I have one for free!

Its proper poo.

Bulges the tyre beyond reasonable.

I have a Kojak for Alko lock, works well, but as a leveller no good what so ever

Edited by Wellys and Mac

Hi Wellys and Mac,

thank you for the offer of the poo lol, with respect, i will give it a miss. I have heard about the bulging!!

1 hour ago, Ricster said:

I don't have the wheel lock issue, but ooh errr, not sure about the slipping off issue, would plastic chocks on either side of the opposite wheel help do you think? 

Tends to slip forwards or back depending on slope-but-has slipped sideways to 😂

Plus.

You need to protect it from sharp stony ground like a gravel pitch.

All in all a waste of £100.

Plywood boards appear to be the way to go-free from local skips.

4 hours ago, Ricster said:

Hi All,

I have started looking for a caravan leveller, I have Milenco plastic wedges, but sometimes find it is a pain getting them lined up and slippage etc. Airbag V aluminium lifter, what do you think??

Why not make your own simple ramp (stepped or smooth) to pull or push your caravan up, and chock in place? Make it to fit in the front locker and of sufficient width to support the tyre without causing bulging.  

Levelling ramp - stepped.jpg

Levelling ramp - smooth.jpg

Levelling ramp storage.jpg

Levelling_ramp_twin_axle - 1.jpg

Unless you have a twin axle, a few bits of decking board work very well and cost naff all. Couple of feet is more than long enough to fit the wheellock. Can be stacked if needed. 

2 minutes ago, Fireman Iain said:

Unless you have a twin axle, a few bits of decking board work very well and cost naff all. Couple of feet is more than long enough to fit the wheellock. Can be stacked if needed. 

Very true Iain but a longer ramp makes it a lot easier to push or drag up in small increments, to get that "perfect" level most seek :D

Because we Rally we tend to use fields not level sites.  We use a ramp.  The caravan is currently on a ramp and nice and level.  Simple and quick don’t worry about the Alko lock and stick a lock on the other side.   Everyone I know who has an inflatable leveller speak very highly of them.  Of the Milenco type levellers in 15 years and about 30 Rally’s I have seen one of these in use once. I have seen several for sale when there has been sell your surplus equipment type event.  I would say. Ramp or airbag. 

On 25/05/2019 at 19:58, Gordon said:

Why not make your own simple ramp (stepped or smooth) to pull or push your caravan up, and chock in place? Make it to fit in the front locker and of sufficient width to support the tyre without causing bulging.  

Levelling ramp - stepped.jpg

Levelling ramp - smooth.jpg

Levelling ramp storage.jpg

Levelling_ramp_twin_axle - 1.jpg

👍

12 hours ago, fred said:

Everyone I know who has an inflatable leveller speak very highly of them.

If I spent a hundred squid on something, I would speak highly of it too. Until I have cash to throw away I will make do with offcuts of wood . Simpler to use and a lot quicker, no faffing about with pumps or worries about being damaged by sharp stones.

8 minutes ago, Artleknock said:

If I spent a hundred squid on something, I would speak highly of it too. Until I have cash to throw away I will make do with offcuts of wood . Simpler to use and a lot quicker, no faffing about with pumps or worries about being damaged by sharp stones.

Read the thread😂

I threw away £100- in my opinion the air bag is £100 of unwanted hassle.

I have a set of these, works very well and easy to use.

4 Part Level Ramp Set 4605 Maypole (search on eBay or similar) Mostly use just the bottom part but if needed stack the two parts on top of each other and the locking chock to get just sweet.  The little mesh part stops it getting spat out as you move onto it.

You guys rock, thank you for all your advice and information.