Sign in to follow this  
macafee2

Hoover for caravan

our caravan carpets seem to get dirty really quickly.

Wife has just got a Dyson V8 cordless. Whilst not the best in the range she is really pleased with how well it cleaned the caravan carpets.

I've just hoovered the car with it and whilst not the suction of our mains powered Miele, it did a good job.

Battery will do as little as 7 minutes in high suction mode which is disappointing but enough to do the caravan

You can do a lot worse the get one of these

macafee2

CMC has an offer on the Gtech (sent ours back), purchased a Goodman's 2 in 1 stick vacuum cleaner, mains operated!

We have never gone off grid, so why compromise with a cordless?

We take up our carpets, always have done in all our previous caravans! 

1 minute ago, David P said:

CMC has an offer on the Gtech (sent ours back), purchased a Goodman's 2 in 1 stick vacuum cleaner, mains operated!

We have never gone off grid, so why compromise with a cordless?

We take up our carpets, always have done in all our previous caravans! 

because I find a cordless drill/screw driver very handy, convenient and manoeuvrable, I am not tied to cable length so distance from mains power is not an issue. If the battery goes flat I recharge it, always have a second battery close to hand.

The cordless drill/screw driver also acts as a better tool for winding down the steadies compared to a mains drill

May I ask, why you are telling us you take up your carpets?

macafee2

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

our caravan carpets seem to get dirty really quickly.

Wife has just got a Dyson V8 cordless. Whilst not the best in the range she is really pleased with how well it cleaned the caravan carpets.

I've just hoovered the car with it and whilst not the suction of our mains powered Miele, it did a good job.

Battery will do as little as 7 minutes in high suction mode which is disappointing but enough to do the caravan

You can do a lot worse the get one of these

macafee2

Being the qualified vacuumist in this house, a definite +1.

Edited by Woodentop

We couldn’t afford the V8 Dymond so settled on the V7 - brilliant piece of kit in our home, caravan and car.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, macafee2 said:

I've just hoovered the car with it

It's amusing how we Talk about hoovering with a Dyson!  Wonder how long it will be until people Talk about doing the dysoning instead of the hoovering?

I would add my vote for the V8 however, excellent piece of kit for the house, car or caravan, although as said above, the battery doesn't last too long on max.

Edited by PeteG
addition

I took everything out of our caravan this afternoon, gave it a good Dysoning, then put it back again. Such fun.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I took everything out of our caravan this afternoon, gave it a good Dysoning, then put it back again. Such fun.

:D it would take us months to take everything out of our caravan, it's not moved for years, it's a cupboard on wheels:rolleyes:

• Haha 2

We have had a couple of dysons, all developed faults.

My wife now uses a Gtech K9 upright and the matching hand held. Had them for three years now, both still good. The handheld has been on many caravan holidays and even spent three two week holidays on the canals in hired narrowboats.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, macafee2 said:

May I ask, why you are telling us you take up your carpets?

macafee2

We have always taken the carpets out, the reasons are.

Easy to keep floor clean, no problem when winter towing, any mud just wipes off the floor and dried with a piece of kitchen towel. You could say why don’t you take your shoe’s off, we do, but it does happen! Nothing gets impregnated in the pile, as we have none. Who wants carpeted floor, when in France in the summer? For us carpets aren’t needed. How many posts on here asking where can replacement carpets be found, or similar requests?

Battery vacuum cleaner charge/run time against mains operation, no contest! You still have to use 240v to charge up the battery. We don’t use carpets, so don’t see the need for a battery-operated vac with limitations.

Edited by David P

Ours came from Lidl! Wet or dry, and battery powered. Keeps the caravan and Discovery tidy! About £16.00

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PeteG said:

It's amusing how we Talk about hoovering with a Dyson!  Wonder how long it will be until people Talk about doing the dysoning instead of the hoovering?

I would add my vote for the V8 however, excellent piece of kit for the house, car or caravan, although as said above, the battery doesn't last too long on max.

Not dissimilar to people who get drinks from the bar in a plastic glass.

Agree, Dyson cordless are brilliant in the caravan.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 21:27, David P said:

Easy to keep floor clean, no problem when winter towing, any mud just wipes off the floor and dried with a piece of kitchen towel. You could say why don’t you take your shoe’s off, we do, but it does happen! Nothing gets impregnated in the pile, as we have none. Who wants carpeted floor, when in France in the summer? For us carpets aren’t needed. How many posts on here asking where can replacement carpets be found, or similar requests?

Battery vacuum cleaner charge/run time against mains operation, no contest! You still have to use 240v to charge up the battery. We don’t use carpets, so don’t see the need for a battery-operated vac with limitations.

I could rant at the above post but I wont. Just a question, what has winter towing got to do with carpets?

The reason I have a battery operated Hoover is because it is smaller and lighter then my mains hoover and as all it will have to do, is do the carpets a couple of times when I'm on holiday it is convenient.

The reason for the post, if anyone was thinking of getting a battery powered vacuum cleaner for their caravan I was giving what I thought may have been useful feedback. It may also lead to others commenting of what battery powered vacuum cleaners they use and how they find them.

macafee2

Edited by macafee2

You can buy a seperate  plug in charger on Amazon for £10 which means  you can leave your  wall mounted one at home.

Makita cordless vacuum ....  wonderful thing, easily last for the 3 weeks away and can use the battery for the drill to wind up / down the steadies....happy days :) 

Dustpan works wonders for us.

Everyone's different though

13 hours ago, svimes said:

Dustpan works wonders for us.

Everyone's different though

I find indifference also works; and more  eco friendly too. If i don't stare at the caravan floor, or, heaven forfend, the awning groundsheet, I can see no crumbs or dust, so I can just slip back into holiday mode.

Steve

• Like 1
  • +1 1

We use the Duravac - it fits snugly under the fixed bed. Only 34,000W and it works for us. It'll clean the caravan easily within 2 hours, leaving me the rest of the day to pack it all away.

It's what caravanning is all about.

temp.jpg.ee2d6f59a6115be631798a5e4381c99b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Time for my two-pennyworth!

Not a subject that would normally bother me, but...

On a short break - 4 weeks or less a dust pan and brush is fine for us. However having spent almost 6 months away we would have found a small vacuum cleaner very handy - hence my new interest in the subject.

BH

Posted (edited)
On 25/05/2019 at 21:27, David P said:

Our caravan is a home from home .. our home at home has carpets, so, so does our home from home though unfortunately it has those silly mats instead of a fitted carpet like we used to have on earlier vans.

Edited by Disco Kid
Spelling error

Not sure I agree with silly mats DK - they are so much easier to take up and that can happen for various reasons. For instance, having the Grand kids with us and having them drop sand everywhere from the day on the beach is one very good reason why carpets can be a nightmare particularly deep pile carpets. ( we do hold  them upside down and shake as much off them as we can but it still appears like magic!🤣🤣) If you really can’t or don’t want to be without carpeting,  just use cheap runners on the top of them - or am I complicating things here?🥴😜

We have a couple of Dyson's at home, a Ball Animal  kept downstairs and a Light Ball upstairs to save carting the Animal up and down.

As we bring our two white cats away with us and need to keep the caravan furr free, well as best possible, I usually manage to find room to cram the smaller Ball in somewhere to do the job.

Great machines.

Dyson rechargeable, charging unit for 12v available, small, powerful, reliable, BRILLIANT. The only downside is theyre expensive but well worth it in my humble opinion.

• +1 1

I use a Dyson V6 in car & caravan. It was actually purchased for the car where it does a great job and believe me I'm exceedingly fussy about cleaning my car.

• +1 1

We have a Bosch Athlete for the light duties in the house ( we have a Dyson and a Vax carpet cleaner for the heavy stuff), I have spare charger in the caravan and we just take the Bosch out of the house with us.