Sign in to follow this  
James Donald

Wondering about a Unicorn?

Hi we presently have a 2014 Pegasus Rimini which has to my knowlege never had any damp / leak issues. After reading many posts on this site I don't remember seeing anything regarding Pegasus models with damp issues. BUT I have seen many regarding Unicorn models? Would it be fair to say they are the troublesome ones ? Why I am asking this is because we are soon to update and like the Unicorn Vigo model, not new but about 2017or 18.  I'm not sure what is the difference between the construction of the two models is if any that may cause this? Do people think In would be wise to stay with the Pegasus with similar floor plan or am I imagining this ? We do like the Unicorn model for a few reasons but one being it is slightly wider so helping with room around the end of the bed at night. Value you people's knowledge on these Caravans that my wife and I love.

If your happy with your present caravan I would tend to keep hold of it.

I changed from a 2012 Rimini to a new Unicorn Cadiz in 2016. Just returned from a month away in it, and hardly a day has passed without some issue or another requiring attention. The installed (non Bailey) equipment is brilliant. The terrible build quality is an absolute joke, the creaking floors and furniture has just about driven me mad and taken the edge of what would have been a brilliant holiday.

Last service in April showed damp in floor ranging between 45 - 99% currently awaiting response from the black hole that is Bailey, thinking of enlisting Doris Stokes for guidance.

No, definitely keep what you've got.

• Like 1

I would have thought that the body shells and most if the fittings inside are identical. The main differences being the extras that a unicorn has such as alde heating, solar panel etc. Probably more damp issues reported as Unicorns sell in greater quantities. 

We had a 2014 Vigo for four years, no major issues or damp. We now have a 2018 Cadiz which is great. It has the squeeky brakes,an Al Ko issue which are being replaced under warranty:blush:.

The build quality of the current one seems better than the last one.

We must have spent nearly three months total in it last year, very comfortable. Its about to go over the Channel for another month!

Most of the damp issues were common to both Pegasus and Unicorns, if you search the forum you will find them. The main differences between the two ranges are Alde heating and Unicorns generally include things which are chargeable options on Pegasus. We have a Unicorn 4 which we’ve towed to the south of Spain, about 1300 miles each way and have no build quality issues. 

You really only hear about those who've had problems, very seldom do you hear of the vast majority that don't, so you shouldn't be put off by a few rogue vans or whinging owners but be aware and make sure that you keep an eye out for any problems that get highlighted.

I'm not suggesting that there haven't been problems but some people bash on about them which makes the problem seem a lot worse than it actually is or was and then lots of others get on the bandwagon because they just then regurgitate hearsay.

We've had a Unicorn 1 (2013) Madrid and now a Unicorn 3 (2015) Cadiz and I'm impressed with the quality of both of them - in fact the Cadiz is our keep forever van as we prefer it to the U4. We've had it from new and we've spent around 250+ nights away in it so far.

have you looked at the dealer specials in the Bailey caravans, not a  bad buy IMO.

Hi, many thanks. The leaky roof joint on the Unicorn that seems to be the main problem is fairly easily fixed by the sound of it anyway so I think I would get it done when I buy one anyway as a precaution. We would get a new one but my wife dislikes the very dark wood / veneer on the very late models. Also would get a Pegasus Grande but dislike the G shape front seating area , if you could get an alternative layout as the Unicorn and our Pegasus has we would love one , just for the more width at the end of the bed.

Posted (edited)

My Unicorn Cordoba (2014 model) has just had its 5th service. No damp  detected and only had one problem with it since I bought it at a year old. The central heating stopped working which was the pump.

The mobile service guy rates Bailey very highly.

Unfortunately if you get a bad one, it's just that, a bad one. I don't think there is a systemic problem with Bailey they are just like every other manufacturer, every now and again a van gets through production that should not have done.

I worked in management in manufacturing for 30 years and we had the same problem. The quality of our products were generally very good, but every know and again a bad batch would get through quality control, and every other check that was in place, because production management had the machines going at full capacity, and as the product got further down the assembly line some machines and workers just could not cope with the volume, so you would get a bottleneck, and every one was so busy firefighting that a batch would get through. This was not because the workers did not give a damn, (well most did anyway) it was because they just got so overwhelmed that they could not cope any longer. Unfortunately, instead of production management learning the lesson and just have the machines going at a steady pace, it was always faster, faster.

Sometimes you cannot blame the management though, because just like the production workers they were under extreme pressure for more production. 

Edited by fut1a

We have a S3 Unicorn Velencia, we have had no issues at all since owning it, admittingly we have only had it since Sept last year but have had half a dozen trips since then and are extremely happy. 

You will tend to find people with issues on this site which of course is the nature of the site to enable the forum users to help each other out with advice and guidance. 

Don't let other peoples issues put you off of a Unicorn, purchase from a reputable dealer and you should be ok. 

We too have an S3 Unicorn Valencia which overall we have been very pleased with.  It did develop a leaky roof strap last year, but the leak was very minor and I think we were fortunate to have spotted it quickly.  It was dealt with under warranty.

2015 Unicorn 3 Cadiz.  Had the leaky roof strap, but everything else has been pretty good.  We bought the 10 year anti-damp warranty extension, but wouldn't bother another time.

Its great having a caravan without all the problems of awning rails needing to be resealed on a regular basis.  We loved our Sanator but it had to have new front and rear panels at two years old, and then awning rail reseal at six years.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Tigger said:

2015 Unicorn 3 Cadiz.  Had the leaky roof strap, but everything else has been pretty good.  We bought the 10 year anti-damp warranty extension, but wouldn't bother another time.

Its great having a caravan without all the problems of awning rails needing to be resealed on a regular basis.  We loved our Sanator but it had to have new front and rear panels at two years old, and then awning rail reseal at six years.

We also have a 2015 U3 Cadiz and apart from the roof strap leak and Al-Ko ATC light failing have had no problems.

Just had its yearly service and all dry ( 11% all round ).

We wouldn't swap it for a U4.

Ian

Edited by Tandem Man

Other than size difference there is absolutely no difference in the construction of Pegasus v Unicorn bodies.  They are built by the same people on the same construction lines. You will find the extras like soft close hinges and drawers very nice and the Alde heating is just superb.  Many in the owners club think the mk3 unicorn is a future classic.  Could we afford a mk 4 yes. Are we having one ?   No   I can see our mark 3.  Hanging about for as long as I last. 

Our 2016 Pegasus Rimini had to have roof strap done this year so not just Unicorns having roof strap problem.

Posted (edited)

Had two Unicorns, a U1 and now a U3, no problems with mine.

Like Alan Stanley, our U3 is a keeper. Looked at the U4 but it's not sufficiently better than the U3

Edited by matelodave

As others have said basic body shell materials and construction most likely the same, all come off the same production line by the same people.  Differences are in layout and equipment spec.

They are mass production products most will be OK but some bad ones will get through no manufactured product is 100% good 100% of the time. You will hear most from those with issues, the happy majority will be silent and as somebody else suggested the Unicorn may well be the top seller, so more examples around...

We started out liking the Valencia but budget dictated a Senator Indiana (basically same layout) planned on getting a newer Valencia when we changed. Then we changed our view of bed layout and wanted an island so looked at Vigo liked a lot but then we went to the show last year really liked Vigo but also sat in Cartagena which isn't that much more £££ and the twin axle does tow better. If you can tow 1700kg (1800kg with plate upgrade) and budget will stretch...

We had an 'interesting' misunderstanding as to the budget result is we have a Cartagena which is fab.

On 25/05/2019 at 06:32, CPDavis said:

Just returned from a month away in it, and hardly a day has passed without some issue or another requiring attention. The installed (non Bailey) equipment is brilliant. The terrible build quality is an absolute joke, the creaking floors and furniture has just about driven me mad and taken the edge of what would have been a brilliant holiday.

As above.... My first Caravan, sadly numerous significant issues including  major leak repaired by Baileys, they damaged more than they put right, all issues are due to unbelievable appalling  careless build quality.  Nearly every day away some issue needs sorting, constantly worrying when will the next leak happen, when will the axle collapse etc etc, not enjoying this caravan, now find using it stressful to be honest also leaves me feeling  ripped off. If it had only been built with care it would have been a pleasure to own, hard earn’t money well spent.....never again!

We have a U3 Valencia, had all the usual issues. Roof strap, axle failed, Alde pump replaced, dodgy grill now on it's 7th thermocouple. 

However, that said, it gets used by us and 3 children plus dog a lot! We use it all year in all weathers. There are issues with build quality here and there but as others have said, I believe all manufacturers are the same with none worse or better than others. 

I will not buy another Bailey, but that’s just my annoyance at their poorly worded letter regarding the axle, saying it was my fault but as a gesture of goodwill they would help. Would have been far better to sincerely apologise for my inconvenience and replace it in accordance with their warranty but I digress....

Just had it's 4th service and it’s dry, comfortable, tows well and is paid for. I wouldn’t upgrade it for quite some time now those initial niggles have been sorted. 

If you find one three years old, with the axle and roof strap replaced, you won’t go far wrong IMHO. 

John

• Like 2