millerhouse12

Speeding with the caravan

13 hours ago, Legal Eagle said:

Not entirely correct Andy. Large Passenger Vehicles (LPV) up to 12 metres long can travel at 70mph on motorways, 60mph on dual carriageways. Over 12 metres long 60mph on motorways and dual carriageways. You've only got to watch National Express coaches on motorways to see they are governed nearer to 70mph than 62mph!!

I remember the good old days when, I think it was Midland Red coaches used to travel at 90!

When driving on single carriageway A roads it is immediately obvious that the council is cutting back on some services as signs are over grown with vegetation.  In some cases the only way you would know that there is a speed restriction in place is if you travel the road regularly.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, ericmark said:

However my late father-in-law was not fit to drive, his eye sight was simply not good enough, he could see straight ahead OK but to the side he missed seeing things like pedestrians and road signs, we asked the doctor to recommend he stopped driving, but he refused, he said he met the criteria needed to drive, but we all knew he was not safe.

He missed a 30 MPH speed limits and got caught, and that in the end resulted in loss of licence, he was looking at what car to buy when licence returned however he died before that happened, so he did not kill anyone. There is no provision for macular degeneration with the driving licence, however it does mean the person can miss seeing things, yet can read the number plate at required distance. 

The DVLA eyesight test standard is very poor - my wife has last over half her vision due to glaucoma, particularly the left periphery but can still get 6/6 in both eyes looking straight ahead - the Professor of Opthalmology where she's treated agrees with us that the test standard is pathetically low.

14 minutes ago, Hairyspinner said:

I remember the good old days when, I think it was Midland Red coaches used to travel at 90!

Midland Red had a fleet of 10 coaches, specially modified for high speed, which could do 85mph on the then unrestricted motorway London-Birmingham

Edited by Black Grouse

19 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

When driving on single carriageway A roads it is immediately obvious that the council is cutting back on some services as signs are over grown with vegetation.  In some cases the only way you would know that there is a speed restriction in place is if you travel the road regularly.

Indeed - see the link below

https://www.bedfordtoday.co.uk/news/new-leaf-overturns-bedfordshire-village-law-1-7977682

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Gordon said:

With street lighting defining the 30 limit, the sign isn't legally necessary

Which raise an interesting question how sign recognition systems work - same in France where the village boundary sign defines the lowered limit.

Edited by Black Grouse

17 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

With street lighting defining the 30 limit, the sign isn't legally necessary

Which raise an interesting question how sign recognition systems work - same in France where the village boundary sign defines the lowered limit.

In many areas where the national speed limit on A roads applies, there could be an area where the speed limit is restricted to 40mph, but the sign is obscured by vegetation.  I would think that in many cases street lighting does not define that it is a 30mph limit.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

In many areas where the national speed limit on A roads applies, there could be an area where the speed limit is restricted to 40mph, but the sign is obscured by vegetation.  I would think that in many cases street lighting does not define that it is a 30mph limit.

Street lighting at intervals less than 183m in England & Wales or 185m in Scotland always defines a 30mph limit unless a traffic order imposes a different limit, in which case starter and repeater signs on street lights define the limit.

Edited by Black Grouse
  • Like 1

Gone are the days of cutting the hedges etc around signs you have to think of the wildlife. They used to wash them regularly to make them more visible to.

• Like 1

To be enforceable all road signs must be “Well maintained and clearly visible” 

If a speed limit sign is obscured by vegetation (not at all uncommon these days) then anyone having photographic proof would be able to successfully challenge any ticket/summons.

It there is street lighting (with distances as previously posted) then the speed is thirty UNLESS there are signs indicating a higher limit. If no street lighting and a thirty limit then likewise there must be both terminus signs at each end and repeaters at regular intervals ( the distance between repeaters used to be stipulated, but that changed to “reasonable” distance a few years ago) 

Andy

On 26/05/2019 at 18:50, Mr Plodd said:

All HGV’s are BY LAW  governed to 90 km/h (which  is 56 mph) and coaches to 100 km/h (which  is 62 mph)  It might seem to be higher but don’t forget they are all fitted with highly calibrated Tachographs so the speed is dead accurate, unlike the ones fitted to private carS. Once  the vehicle gets to the governed speed the throttle pedal simply flops to the floor! Yes it IS a weird sensation! 

There are of course very slight variations from vehicle to vehicle which is why you sometimes get HGV’s “Elephant racing” along a motorway when one has about 1.5 km/h advantage over another, so they take miles to complete an overtake. 

Andy

There are ways around that, I've seen many trucks doing 100+ Km/h down the Autobahn, usually our East European friends.

I've done 120 Km/h in a Seddon Atkinson tractor unit along the Autobahn but that was in the days where military vehicles were exempt from having Speed Restrictors fitted.

20 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

There are ways around that, I've seen many trucks doing 100+ Km/h down the Autobahn, usually our East European friends.

I've done 120 Km/h in a Seddon Atkinson tractor unit along the Autobahn but that was in the days where military vehicles were exempt from having Speed Restrictors fitted.

Whilst I'm sure the majority are law abiding, it does seem that East European and Irish truckers are the ones disabling their limiters.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, ericmark said:

I accept that 33 in a 30 is speeding but to me that's being pedantic, specially on down hill stretches, and when using cruse control it does not apply brakes, so it is easy for one not to notice the speed has crept up when you expect the cruse control to stop speeding.

Knowing that my cruise control works on the throttle, I would not expect it to brake the car from going over the setting on a steep enough downhill.  On my previous car you could not even set it if you were going below 40 - I suppose because it it is not a good idea to use it in an urban situation or other circumstances that require a slower speed. Cruise control is something for the wide open road.

Edited by Bolingbroke

6 minutes ago, Bolingbroke said:

Knowing that my cruise control works on the throttle, I would not expect it to brake the car from going over the setting on a steep enough downhill.  On my previous car you could not even set it if you were going below 40 - I suppose because it it is not a good idea to use it in an urban situation or other circumstances that require a slower speed. Cruise control is something for the wide open road.

Some models do activate the brakes to prevent overspeeds - and some allow setting of cruise at 30, possibly below - I find it a good way of avoiding speeding on urban roads where traffic congestion is light.

55 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Some models do activate the brakes to prevent overspeeds - and some allow setting of cruise at 30, possibly below - I find it a good way of avoiding speeding on urban roads where traffic congestion is light.

Our Jeep will brake if going down a hill and the cruise control was set i.e. 30mph and this speed was exceeded.

1 hour ago, Black Grouse said:

I drove a Corsa the other day whilst my car was having some work done, you could set a max speed you wanted to go at, say 30, it wouldn't go any faster, a useful addition I feel.

My BMW cruise control uses the brakes to maintain the set speed going downhill and can be set from 20mph.

35 minutes ago, Hairyspinner said:

I drove a Corsa the other day whilst my car was having some work done, you could set a max speed you wanted to go at, say 30, it wouldn't go any faster, a useful addition I feel.

I think you will find that you could override the limiter.

Posted (edited)

My Mazda 6 has cruise and speed limiter.

Cruise applies the brakes if set speed is exceeded (downhill usually) it also applies the brakes if the car ahead brakes (I can set the “following” distance that operates at) That’s REALLY spooky, it releases the brakes at 18mph and triggers a warning buzzer. (I tried it once just to see if it worked! It does) 

Cruise operates from 28 mph (I use it a lot in town, it’s a licence saver!) 

Speed limiter can be over ridden by flooring the throttle, I am pretty sure that’s standard for all speed limiters (on cars etc NOT on trucks or coaches) 

On a modern vehicle the throttle pedal isn’t actually “connected” to anything, (no throttle cable exists)  it’s a potentiometer that “tells” the ECU how far you have depressed it. 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

5 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Our current trucks hit a rev limiter at about 135kph, the older ones would rev off the clock, with a good motorway downhill and a favourable wind they could really get a move on. 

Clever computers normally limit them to 90kph, limiters come off when needed. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Gordon said:

Don't believe all you read. I travel that road daily. The report is inaccurate . He claims he was driving towards the motorway in which case the 30 terminal is here  with not a tree in sight.  The camera coming into the village from the motorway is on a slight left hand curve here and often obscured by overgrown hedgerow . Has been like that over the last 6-8 weeks.

However. he has passed these unobscured 30 signs before the camera.

He was lucky enough to get the charge dropped rather than he was found not guilty because a camera does NOT have to be visible only the signs require that.

Edited by beejay
correct error

12 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

No idea where you get that idea from! 

A built in satnav is exactly that, a sat nav, it gets ALL of its information from the geo-stationary satellite system not from the car AND it displays speed. That’s why, when in a tunnel and the sat nav cannot get a signal it DOESNT display the speed, which it would do if, as you suggest, it’s getting speed information from the car. 

My car has a built in Tomtom satnav, it displays a different speed to the car but it’s the same speed as the stand alone satnav I use when towing (because the built in one won’t run the Tomtom camper mapping system) 

Andy

One slight correction sir, the sat are not geo-stationary, theyre orbiting the earth. The Chinese and Indian systems are ge-stationary though.

16 hours ago, Hairyspinner said:

I believe that Vauxhalls have had that system for a long time now. There were two buttons to the right of the steering column on my in-law's Astra back in the 1980s, both with a car symbol, one was the cruise control switch (green LED) and the other the speed limiter switch (orange LED) and as the names implied one held a set speed, while the other prevented you accidentally exceeding a pre-determined speed.

The controls were not on the steering wheel as in this video, but the principles were the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOVCysPYopw&feature=youtu.be

Gordon

7 hours ago, Gordon said:

I believe that Vauxhalls have had that system for a long time now. There were two buttons to the right of the steering column on my in-law's Astra back in the 1980s, both with a car symbol, one was the cruise control switch (green LED) and the other the speed limiter switch (orange LED) and as the names implied one held a set speed, while the other prevented you accidentally exceeding a pre-determined speed.

The controls were not on the steering wheel as in this video, but the principles were the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOVCysPYopw&feature=youtu.be

Gordon

Our Galaxy has both a cruise control and a speed limiter. I dont use the limiter much but cruise I use a lot of the time.