Sign in to follow this  
svimes

Bluetooth transmitter

Lady Vimes has just purchased a Bluetooth speaker and I'd like to try using it in the caravan for the TV speaker and potentially the caravan radio. The speaker only accepts Bluetooth input.

The TV has a headphone socket and USB but I think the USB is just for playing media, not sure if it would output sound.  Therefore, for the TV, I'm thinking I need a Bluetooth transmitter that connects to the headphone output and converts to Bluetooth. Does that sound right? Would something like this do the job?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232975402179?ul_noapp=true&autorefresh=true

I would have liked to try it when we go away on Saturday but I cant' find anything equivalent at Argos / Currys / Halfords etc. Anyone else know of somewhere I could pick one up from?

When we bought the van, I recall the dealer telling us that lots of people use wireless speakers to provide sound to the rear dinette as the stereo only comes with speakers at the front.  He mentioned just plugging a dongle into the USB socket on the radio. Has anyone tried this or can the recommend a product / solution.  The radio does have an AUX in socket but no headphone socket  so I suspect that we would need two different products for TV and radio.

That one needs power from a USB socket so may not be suitable. It doesn't say if it has an internal battery so you could charge it via USB or if it needs to be plugged in to a USB socket to work.

I use one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BR3FFTB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It may be a bit more than you need, it can be either a receiver or transmitter and has various connections, but it doesn't need to be plugged in to a power source to work once it is charged

Posted (edited)

Amazon Prime do next day delivery https://www.amazon.co.uk/TaoTronics-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Portable-Transmission-Black/dp/B00Q2EGQQU but you might be a bit late to get it by tomorrow

We use a BT transmitter plugged into the back of the TV to drive a small BT speaker to improve the sound and enable us to keep the volume down. It also uses the TV's USB connector to provide it's power supply (it just dangle off the back of the telly). Ours is a cheap and cheerful one from SevenDayShop

Edited by matelodave

Forget it - the delay on Bluetooth is horrendous and you totally loose lip-sync.

The only solution is a 3.5mm-3.5mm stereo jack cable long enough to go from the headphone output of the TV to the line input of the speaker - they all have one. Having said that, unless your TV has bass/treble controls or other sound adjustment you may also find it unusable as most Bluetooth speakers have significant bass boost and treble cut - such is the apparent choice of sound of today's yoof.

I bought a Sony Bluetooth speaker and it is useless. Thankfully it was only about £20 - well less than half price. It defaults to bass boost on so you have to keep switching it off, and if you run it from the mains adapter there are silly lighting effects around the speakers that you cannot turn off (you can only turn them off on battery.)

15 minutes ago, Richard080561 said:

That one needs power from a USB socket so may not be suitable. It doesn't say if it has an internal battery so you could charge it via USB or if it needs to be plugged in to a USB socket to work.

I use one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BR3FFTB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It may be a bit more than you need, it can be either a receiver or transmitter and has various connections, but it doesn't need to be plugged in to a power source to work once it is charged

There is a USB socket on the TV so I would need to check it provides power.

13 minutes ago, matelodave said:

Amazon Prime do next day delivery https://www.amazon.co.uk/TaoTronics-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Portable-Transmission-Black/dp/B00Q2EGQQU but you might be a bit late to get it by tomorrow

We use a BT transmitter plugged into the back of the TV to drive a small BT speaker to improve the sound and enable us to keep the volume down. It also uses the TV's USB connector to provide it's power supply (it just dangle off the back of the telly). Ours is a cheap and cheerful one from SevenDayShop

That's basically what we'd be doing. How do you find any sound lag, as described by Woodentop?

I'm loathe to sign up to Prime!

I've seen this one at Argos which works as a transmitter and receiver (I guess we could use the receiver to listen to ipods through the stereo) but its a decent wack of money if the sound lag is going to be too large

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8587051?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59158|acid:532-198-3455|cid:200217410|agid:12488202290|tid:aud-641224040297:pla-482156655241|crid:66128549450|nw:g|rnd:17560926593698088770|dvc:c|adp:1o5|mt:|loc:9046590&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9OmV56ay4gIVYTPTCh1hsQVYEAkYBSABEgKdUvD_BwE

15 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

Forget it - the delay on Bluetooth is horrendous and you totally loose lip-sync.

The only solution is a 3.5mm-3.5mm stereo jack cable long enough to go from the headphone output of the TV to the line input of the speaker - they all have one. Having said that, unless your TV has bass/treble controls or other sound adjustment you may also find it unusable as most Bluetooth speakers have significant bass boost and treble cut - such is the apparent choice of sound of today's yoof.

I bought a Sony Bluetooth speaker and it is useless. Thankfully it was only about £20 - well less than half price. It defaults to bass boost on so you have to keep switching it off, and if you run it from the mains adapter there are silly lighting effects around the speakers that you cannot turn off (you can only turn them off on battery.)

It seems that others have managed ok? I read a guide that did warn of the problem but it seems to vary by device

I'm pretty sure that the speaker won't have an aux input but I'd gladly be proved wrong! 

Can't say that I really notice much delay. We use the TV's inbuilt DVD player quite a bit and that's OK but some programmes are fine and others aren't but it's not consistent bwtween channels or even programmes on the same channel even without using the BT link

For instance we are watching the Chelsea Flower Show at this very moment using Sky HD at home without any intermediate kit and there's quite a pronounced lag on the audio so I reckon a lot depends on how much digital processing gets done between the original souce and when iy appears on your equipment

• Like 1

The delay is horrendous, I found it unpleasant to watch. However, you can buy Bluetooth transmitters with zero delay, but they are more expensive.  Search Amazon for "Bluetooth transmitter low latency".

• Like 1

We watch TV, downloaded videos etc on a lap top with the sound from a speaker via Bluetooth. We don't have any issues with pictures and sound synchronisation. But I guess it depends on the quality of the Bluetooth devices.

17 hours ago, thebriars said:

The delay is horrendous, I found it unpleasant to watch. However, you can buy Bluetooth transmitters with zero delay, but they are more expensive.  Search Amazon for "Bluetooth transmitter low latency".

Any TV that's worth it's salt can amend the audio delay in the settings somewhere.  You can get the issue on broadcast HD TV, and also on catch up