ivan leslie

Etiquette With Regard To a Neighbours TV Dish

Arrived at a site ( in France ) yesterday.  Our Dutch neighbour was out very quickly to suggest where we site our van so as not to affect his tv reception from his dish.  One of the possible van placements we liked would totally block off his tv reception. To avoid his problem would mean leaving a distance of around 4 metres at the back of our pitch that we couldn’t put our van ( or gazebo etc ) on. His basic point was that they were on their pitch for 4 months and needed the tv,  I think he believed we should just accept his view and that was that.  We are also here for a similar period. What would anyone do in these circumstances?? 

Posted (edited)

Suggest he moves his dish! ...... or his pitch. 

Edited by Easy T
  • Like 1

Had that in southern France! We pitched! They move their dish!

If the dish is mounted on his caravan roof then there will not be a problem as the dish looks up into the sky way above your roof. If it is on a tripod then he can move it - most LNBs (the receiving bit on the end of the stalk) will easily drive 25m of cable. If his dish is low down (a dish will work  well at ground level) then suggest he gets a tripod. BricoMan sell a good worklight tripod without the lights for about 12€ that will extend to about 1.5m and a dish at that height will see over your caravan roof if it is more than about 2.5m away.

Just pitch....He will move if necessary !!

Posted (edited)

Surely you would set the dish up in anticipation that someone would pitch a caravan on the pitch ?

It does not take long to move a dish . How big is the dish ?

I have set a dish up on a tripod in the next field before now on a site and run the 75 m cable through and along a hedge to miss a tree .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Posted (edited)

interesting some would all pitch no matter how the other person is a/effected. That seems to be a selfish approach.  None have suggested that the OP suggests that together with the other camper, they see if they can relocate the dish so the other camper still has reception or the op even finds another pitch.

I am of course taking it, that the only reason they are being asked to park in a certain way, is for tv reception and no other reason.

I would try to come to an amicable agreement

macafee2

Edited by macafee2

As the OP here is what I did - I talked to the guy, he explained that, as the site is in a pine forest ( as many are in this area of France ) he only had a limited area “ to aim at “  with his dish. He had tried other parts of his pitch but with no success. Said I would think about it.  We decided where we would locate our van and deliberately put it right in front of his dish. Called the guys wife ( he had gone off on his bike ) out to have a look and for comments etc - was not, as one could imagine, best pleased. Then, as she stood there, I used the mover to take the van just to the edge of the dish and said I was, of course, joking with the first position. She broke out laughing, was appreciative of what we had done, and I think we might have made a friend. We are happy where the van is and, who knows, we might get invited to look at some tv soon, although I assume it will be in Dutch!

When the guy came back he was happy, but then totally persisted me off by telling me that Brexit will be very bad for Britain!! Not followed that one up in detail yet, but, if I hadn’t today put the awning up, the van might have been moving again😀😀

I think that you were very accomodating.

It is of course quite unreasonable that his satellite dish should have any bearing whatsoever on your use of your allocated pitch.

It is typical of a certain type, like those who cover every inch of their pitch with equipment and then try to park on a neighbouring one.

There was one chap on a site in Spain that had his caravan and awning on one pitch another awning on the other side with his car on a second pitch and a third pitch for their washing.  He was Dutch too.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, rovinmad said:

I think that you were very accomodating.

It is of course quite unreasonable that his satellite dish should have any bearing whatsoever on your use of your allocated pitch.

It is typical of a certain type, like those who cover every inch of their pitch with equipment and then try to park on a neighbouring one.

There was one chap on a site in Spain that had his caravan and awning on one pitch another awning on the other side with his car on a second pitch and a third pitch for their washing.  He was Dutch too.

You don't have to go to Spain as I had a neighbour here on a cc site that parked his car on my pitch and was prepared to leave it there . When I approach him asking where I should leave my car his excuse was his wife wants to be able to sit outside the caravan and not see the car . I asked if he want me and others to move their caravans so she got a better view ?

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

11 hours ago, macafee2 said:

interesting some would all pitch no matter how the other person is a/effected. That seems to be a selfish approach.  None have suggested that the OP suggests that together with the other camper, they see if they can relocate the dish so the other camper still has reception or the op even finds another pitch.

I am of course taking it, that the only reason they are being asked to park in a certain way, is for tv reception and no other reason.

I would try to come to an amicable agreement

macafee2

Doesn't that work both ways? isn't the dutch guy being selfish too asking for a neighbour to pitch in a certain way so as not to affect his TV reception?

It's your pitch, you've paid for it, just set your caravan up however you like whilst whistling 'Rule Britannia' as you're doing it.

:D

Why can't people live without a television?

Never had one in our travels and don't intend to - try talking to one another, read a book, paint, enjoy a sociable meals - loads of options.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, The road toad said:

Never had one in our travels and don't intend to - try talking to one another, read a book, paint, enjoy a sociable meals - loads of options.

It's great that you enjoy caravanning the way you like - it's up to other people how they spend their time on site.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, The road toad said:

When we do our annual 3 week trip to Spain we don't take a TV, as you say there are plenty of other things to enjoy but we do take it with us when we go caravanning in Holland or the UK

22 minutes ago, The road toad said:

paint,

who does that?? lol

31 minutes ago, The road toad said:

We are all different. Many people like to watch TV. We don't when away but I would not be surprised if there were some who don't watch at home but do when away. I don't watch TV at home myself but understand that many do. 

We had an issue turning into a road on a site.  To achieve the turn we would have had to drive over the front of the pitch on the left hand side as we were turning right.  The most would have been about half a wheel.  German fellow stood in the way and said "Nein"! 

Due to the length of our outfit that is the only way we could have turned into the "side road" on the site.  Camp staff tried to get him to move but no ways.  Eventually they found us a another pitch which was a better and larger pitch and easier to get onto.

3 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

It's your pitch, you've paid for it, just set your caravan up however you like whilst whistling 'Rule Britannia' as you're doing it.

:D

That might go down well in what is now your home country 😄😄😄

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, The road toad said:

Theres loads of weird people around, some even use the internet yet alone televisions whilst away!!!!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by AJGalaxy2012