Sign in to follow this  
Jimbo9997

New member - help needed please regarding electrics!!

27 minutes ago, matelodave said:

TBH the fridge supply from the car will just about keep it cool if it's already cold but dont expect it to cool the fridge down. You need to run it on gas or mains leccy to get it cold.

Likewise the cars doesn't really charge the van battery so make sure that it's fully charged by plugging in the mains overnight when the van is at home. It will take at least ten hours to charge a flat battery so don't just put it on for an hour and hope that it will be enough.

MAKE SURE THE WATER SYSTEM IS FULL OR SWITCHED OFF BEFORE CONNECTING THE MAINS CABLE. I forgot once and it cost me £70 for a new water heater element

Dont quite get why its important to have the water system full (do you mean switch the pump off?). What would happen otherwise, when you connect to mains?

21 minutes ago, Jimbo9997 said:

Dont quite get why its important to have the water system full (do you mean switch the pump off?). What would happen otherwise, when you connect to mains?

If you turn the water heater on when there is no water in the tank it will be heating air and probably overheat.  It is equivalent to switching the immersion heater or boiler on at home when you have drained down the water system.

I strongly recommend that you download as many instruction books as you can for the various appliances that you have in the caravan.  Most of them are fairly easy to find online.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If the hot water tank is not full of water and you've not checked that the heater is switched off then you'll burn out the element - a bit like turning on an electric kettle with no water in it.

Likewise with a gas kettle, empty it, then put it on the hob and light the gas and it will burn the bottom out of the kettle.

It's really easy to just connect up the mains before filling the water system or not check the isolating switch  before you do it and it can be an expensive mistake

Edited by matelodave
  • Like 1

As said the 12v from car only gives very little cooling so we run the fridge on home mains for 24 hours before at coldest setting and on arrival at site its the first thing we do is get the fridge going on mains hook up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo9997 said:

You don't connect your caravan water supply to the mains.   You fill a barrel or other container, then put your pump into the water.   The pump works on 12volts and when the boiler is full and all the taps are closed, the pump will switch off automatically.   When a tap is opened, the pump switches on.   The taps work either on a pressure switch or micro-switches on each tap.   Probably on a van the age of yours, more likely to be pressure switches.  

15 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

You don't connect your caravan water supply to the mains.   You fill a barrel or other container, then put your pump into the water.   The pump works on 12volts and when the boiler is full and all the taps are closed, the pump will switch off automatically.   When a tap is opened, the pump switches on.   The taps work either on a pressure switch or micro-switches on each tap.   Probably on a van the age of yours, more likely to be pressure switches.  

Ah this explains a lot. I hooked up the water for the first time last night, turned on the taps and gave it a few mins and nothing. I assumed it didnt work. Then all of a sudden after a few more mins there was a whirring noise and hey presto, water! So I'm guessing it took that long for the boiler or pump or whatever to do its stuff?

29 minutes ago, Jimbo9997 said:

Ah this explains a lot. I hooked up the water for the first time last night, turned on the taps and gave it a few mins and nothing. I assumed it didnt work. Then all of a sudden after a few more mins there was a whirring noise and hey presto, water! So I'm guessing it took that long for the boiler or pump or whatever to do its stuff?

If water runs freely from the HOT taps, you may assume that the boiler is full, so ok to switch on.   If it's spluttering at the tap, then the boiler still has air in it.

I think this is probably your fridge 

I'd take issue with the presenter's last words. 'Turn on the red switch' and finally, 'adjust temperature'. I don't think the mains temperature adjustment knob does anything to the 12v system; I think the 12v heater runs flat out whenever it's got a 12v supply and does not have a control switch.

Also, I think it's optimistic to imply that you connect up a gas bottle and expect there to be gas at the fridge ready to light. I suggest lighting e.g. a gas ring to pull gas through the system before expecting gas to arrive at the fridge.

• Like 1