Has anyone installed their own fan coolers into top vent area and found whilst doing so hardly any room inside the the cooler housing......... plus did you wire it back to the battery incorporating a separate fuse box or in line fuse.........,  the Battery cover assembly incorporating cable connections found confusing

Posted (edited)

My installation in a Swift Elegance.

P1050698.JPG.e2b04f9f26d16037df3be23332909fd6.JPG

The picture shows two of these. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/San-Ace120-120-25mm-9S1212F404-fan-DC12V-0-19A-strong-wind-super-quiet-2pin/254031667400?epid=1973666621&hash=item3b2577a0c8:g:tvwAAOSwlsFa3sy7

(Also available from other sources)They are not the cheapest option, but are about as quiet as you'll get and these have been in constant use for three years.

You could of course control them with a simple, manual switch, but I've connected mine to one of these. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Inkbird-Digital-Temperature-Controller-2-Relay-Output-Room-Thermostat-220V-Heat/222009063678?epid=15011371221&hash=item33b0c578fe:g:VM0AAOSwJb9WqtNu 

P1050696.JPG.6a4e81f7dd8cbae57f07eec52348a684.JPGWhich comes with a temperature sensor that sits in the cavity.P1050700.JPG.54c2c5deac2f66d442a1c1c3f947e36a.JPGI can set the temperature parameters and forget it.

I connected mine to the wiring for the 12v socket shown in the photo, just below the controller. The most difficult think about the installation was having the nerve to cut a darned great hole for the controller and smaller holes for the wiring feed, in my very new caravan:excl:

Edited by Flying Grandad

I used two computer fans set into a piece of ali sheet.   Switching is governed by the use of a Wickes  room thermostat - seen far left.   To avoid the fans operating during the night, a simple on/off switch is installed on the front panel.

1066763390_Fridgefans.thumb.jpg.33d6e8612b9cf8b436579f9e0a13ddde.jpg

There is no need to force cool the area, just get the air moving a bit rather than relying on convection.

Get two 12V computer fans (usually 4inch) and wire then in series which will make them run slower and make significantly less noise. Put one inside the bottom vent pulling air in and one in the top vent pushing air out. The direction of rotation and  airflow is usually embossed on the outside of the fan frame.

For Bailey users, the same technique can be used on the power box which is usually installed somewhere that has no ventilation. This time use 2inch or 1.5inch fans. Put one blowing in over the grille on the upper left side and the other pulling air out on the grille on the top edge right end. The fans again should be in series. As above there is no need for forced cooling, just get the air moving. There is a fan in the left end of the switched mode power supply (SMPS) casing inside the power box but they are notorious for either getting stuffed up with dust that stops them rotating, or the temperature sensing device on the SMPS motherboard fails so the fan does not run.

Thanks guys,  have I got the wrong fans, 3 pin Artic computer fans but can't get them to work perhaps I need to join the centre wire to one of the other two remaining wires

F

You only need to wire two of the three - red and black on some fans.

1 hour ago, mentaliss said:

have I got the wrong fans,

No!   If the pins are not marked, try them across a 12 volt battery until you get them running correctly.   The third pin is used in a computer to control the speed from the mother-board.

On 22/05/2019 at 15:06, Flying Grandad said:

My installation in a Swift Elegance.

P1050698.JPG.e2b04f9f26d16037df3be23332909fd6.JPG

The picture shows two of these. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/San-Ace120-120-25mm-9S1212F404-fan-DC12V-0-19A-strong-wind-super-quiet-2pin/254031667400?epid=1973666621&hash=item3b2577a0c8:g:tvwAAOSwlsFa3sy7

(Also available from other sources)They are not the cheapest option, but are about as quiet as you'll get and these have been in constant use for three years.

You could of course control them with a simple, manual switch, but I've connected mine to one of these. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Inkbird-Digital-Temperature-Controller-2-Relay-Output-Room-Thermostat-220V-Heat/222009063678?epid=15011371221&hash=item33b0c578fe:g:VM0AAOSwJb9WqtNu 

P1050696.JPG.6a4e81f7dd8cbae57f07eec52348a684.JPGWhich comes with a temperature sensor that sits in the cavity.P1050700.JPG.54c2c5deac2f66d442a1c1c3f947e36a.JPGI can set the temperature parameters and forget it.

I connected mine to the wiring for the 12v socket shown in the photo, just below the controller. The most difficult think about the installation was having the nerve to cut a darned great hole for the controller and smaller holes for the wiring feed, in my very new caravan:excl:

Not trying to be clever  but the spec for this controller is mains voltage they do manufacture a 12 volt dc version...

Confused:unsure:

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mentaliss said:

Not trying to be clever  but the spec for this controller is mains voltage they do manufacture a 12 volt dc version...

Confused:unsure:

Well spotted. I think you can specify the operating voltage. Mine is 12v. The model number I quoted in my post is what I read direct from the unit itself. Perhaps I quoted the wrong link. I think it should have been https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Inkbird-12V-Digital-Temperature-Controller-ITC-1000-Heater-Cooler-2-Relays-Brew/223191675444?hash=item33f742b234:g:t8MAAOSwarlbxauh

As you can see, they look identical.

Edited by Flying Grandad

On 22/05/2019 at 15:20, Jaydug said:

...   Switching is governed by the use of a Wickes  room thermostat ...  

I take it you mean a domestic (240V) bi-metal strip type thermostat? My setup has a mains thermostat (although I've had fans for years, I've only recently installed a thermostat) and it seems to have ended up like yours. I take it that, as long as no electronics are involved, it's OK to use a 'mains' thermostat to switch 12V.  My setup seems to work OK on in the UK but we are yet to test it abroad.

5 minutes ago, hawkaye said:

I take it you mean a domestic (240V) bi-metal strip type thermostat? My setup has a mains thermostat (although I've had fans for years, I've only recently installed a thermostat) and it seems to have ended up like yours. I take it that, as long as no electronics are involved, it's OK to use a 'mains' thermostat to switch 12V.  My setup seems to work OK on in the UK but we are yet to test it abroad.

Yes it's OK.   After all it's only a thermal switch.

• Thanks 1

Depending on your fridge make and model the location of the fan varies.

Look on line for the manufacturer's fridge install instructions.

This helped with my domestic.

I used a 120mm PC fan connected via a spur from a 12volt supply with a in line fuse and it's own switch....works great.

I've fitted 2 computer fans on mine and control them with an digital electronic PCB unit complete with sensor, the whole lot cost me less than £15 and it all works well in France.

Dave.

On ‎03‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 14:30, charlieboy2608 said:

I used a 120mm PC fan connected via a spur from a 12volt supply with a in line fuse and it's own switch....works great.

You say an inline fuse what size fuse have you got fitted? A 120mm spec fan is rated at voltage: 12V, Current: 0.23A, Input power: 1.44W.

Posted (edited)

This my set up:

The fans are the large computer super quiet type, mounted on 2 strips of aluminium from Wickes. This still allows plenty of air circulation when the fans aren't needed. Both are wired to a single waterproof plug  - eBay again - which has since replaced the choc bloc in this image, so the whole assembly can be removed easily if required.

Top mounting is two small brackets pop rivetted to the fume shield, with the frame secured with stainless screws, and simple tie wraps at the bottom, as access is difficult there.

825721743_Fridgefancontrol.jpg.897b85a774ae875cd0ac8fe2a61c1722.jpg898719405_Fridgefans.jpg.199998788c63c739733e5b911bf1ad84.jpg

The controller from eBay, but ensure its 12v as there is a 230v version as well. Power direct from battery via a fuse and isolation switch, mounted in my own surround to match. The fridge temperature sensor is attached to the fridge, exactly where Thetford own diagram requires. This only has a 1 metre cable length, hence the panel just above the fridge.

If you are wondering, the pink foam is an anti rattle measure for the insect screens which flap about in a breeze

Edited by chrisn7

On 13/06/2019 at 13:04, David P said:

You say an inline fuse what size fuse have you got fitted? A 120mm spec fan is rated at voltage: 12V, Current: 0.23A, Input power: 1.44W.

0.5amp which is alot lower than the circuit I took the power from

Hi

This is our set up.

What I will say is we have a new RMD 10 series and it cools far better than any other fridge we have had! No fans needed.