Ledzep

Van levelling

Probably sounds a daft question but when levelling your van, where do you tend to put your spirit level etc, on the floor, on a work surface?

On the surface that is most important to you to have level. 

I always used the kitchen work surface as a reference, but set our caravans to be slightly off-level for good drainage from the shower tray. 

• Like 2

When I started with this caravan I set it up to the point where the washroom door stopped swinging open, a washroom door which does not stay put gets right on my pip.

Then looked for a feature where my spirit level showed, well level.

Just happened to be the top edge of the front side window.

Across the width its the front window sill.

I only ever use the floor just inside the door, mainly because I don’t want to go traipsing through the van with dirty wet feet (it’s always raining when you arrive on site!).

John

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ledzep said:

Probably sounds a daft question but when levelling your van, where do you tend to put your spirit level etc, on the floor, on a work surface?

Wherever suits you! I've found they're all slightly different - trial and error will show which allows the shower and sinks to drain well so find that and use it.

...and what is everyone's preferred way of levelling side to side,  straight forward ramps with chocks or something like the milenco triple that has the predetermined levels...?

5 minutes ago, Ledzep said:

...and what is everyone's preferred way of levelling side to side,  straight forward ramps with chocks or something like the milenco triple that has the predetermined levels...?

If on gravel, and not far off level, I just kick a few stones to one side.

Anything more and I use one of those yellow plastic ramps and chock it.

If it needs more than that I don’t pitch there as it means the awning probably won’t fit, there’s too much of a drop from the door, stuff rolls off the awning table, etc, etc 😊

John

17 minutes ago, Ledzep said:

Varnished plywood stackable levelling boards of which I have a few, generally 12mm thick and of varying lengths in order to create a stack with a gradual lead up.

20190120_104435.thumb.png.3533bfd11bae9bbd0a5c7a50e2565d99.png

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ledzep said:

On the door frame! If the frame is vertical the floor must be level. It is also conveniently at head height to save bending.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Stevan said:

On the door frame! If the frame is vertical the floor must be level. It is also conveniently at head height to save bending.

Only front to rear, not left to right.

2 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Why not left to right? It works for me! Although it might not work for an Airstream with curved sides.

3 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

There are two planes to a door frame;)

4 minutes ago, SamD said:

There are two planes to a door frame;)

Yes, but unless I put a level on the floor of the caravan or inside the lower door frame I will only see the caravan moving front to rear, I won't be able to see if its higher or lower side to side. 

2 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Yes, but unless I put a level on the floor of the caravan or inside the lower door frame I will only see the caravan moving front to rear, I won't be able to see if its higher or lower side to side. 

... but the vertical frame of the door itself has two planes i.e. use the outside plane for side to side measurement.  Have you got only one bubble on your level?

1 minute ago, SamD said:

... but the vertical frame of the door itself has two planes i.e. use the outside plane for side to side measurement.  Have you got only one bubble on your level?

I use my iphone

Just now, Borussia 1900 said:

I use my iphone

All makes sense now.  I use a professional laser level with a 20kg tripod - only takes an hour or so to set up.;)

• Haha 3

lol

We have a small (10") level which lives in a cupboard just inside the door.  When pitching the spirit level is placed on the sideboard work top just inside the door for lateral levelling, then on the metal frame at the foot of the door for longitudinal levelling. We can easily do this without going inside the caravan. On a previous caravan we found our preferred lateral level  (slight slope down hill to the shower drain hole), then a used a blob of Araldite to bond a very small spirit level to the A frame cover - adjusted to our preferred level)  so that my Technical Director could watch it as I pitched the outfit. 

44 minutes ago, SamD said:

All makes sense now.  I use a professional laser level with a 20kg tripod - only takes an hour or so to set up.;)

If you want to be really accurate you could use a piece of string and a weight, from the centre of the top of the frame to the centre of the bottom.

28 minutes ago, Ern said:

On a previous caravan we found our preferred lateral level  (slight slope down hill to the shower drain hole), then a used a blob of Araldite to bond a very small spirit level to the A frame cover - adjusted to our preferred level)  so that my Technical Director could watch it as I pitched the outfit. 

Tried that, but it turns out that the "spirit" in many cheap spirit levels is actually water and the first frost froze and cracked it!

Arrive on pitch, before unhitching open door of van check side to side with spirit level on floor, unhitch, then check fore and aft again with spirit level just inside the door of van 

I use a 2-way spirit level like this, placed on the A-frame fairing.  It has been kept in the front locker of the caravan for several years without freezing.

For side to side levelling I use a plastic ramp , either towing or using the motor mover depending on the circumstances.  If towing, my wife can see the level and guide me, standing on the off-side.

For lengthways levelling, the level is close enough to the jockey wheel to see the level while adjusting the height.

1 hour ago, Stevan said:

If you want to be really accurate you could use a piece of string and a weight, from the centre of the top of the frame to the centre of the bottom.

You're getting a bit fruity there, Robert;)

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DACS said:

I use a 2-way spirit level like this, placed on the A-frame fairing.  It has been kept in the front locker of the caravan for several years without freezing.

For side to side levelling I use a plastic ramp , either towing or using the motor mover depending on the circumstances.  If towing, my wife can see the level and guide me, standing on the off-side.

For lengthways levelling, the level is close enough to the jockey wheel to see the level while adjusting the height.

Thats the same as me - the level is fixed to the a frame (just under the brake lever) using double sided syickly tape and has been there for over four years. A similar arrangement was used on my previous vans.

I did try them on the front shelf in the van to check through the window but the A frame idea works perfectly well. I've also go one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Silverline-250471-Inclinometer-100mm-Roofing-Scaffolding-Angle-Finder/2254760949?iid=391407464599  but it's not really any more effective than the bubble level (looks good though). Digital clinometers are also available but so long as the water runs away and neither of us fall out of bed the bubble is good enough

Edited by matelodave

Just remembered, can anyone else remember  LAMBILEVELS   brilliant bit of kit I had two fitted on the A Frame one for side to side and the other Fore to aft.   I wish they were still available now