pepys1660

Aquarolls and Brexit

4 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Twice so far in this thread I've mentioned that 90% of the time I fill my on-board 55 litre tank with a hosepipe from the fresh water tap on my fully serviced pitch. In reality its more like 99% as I've only needed to use my Jerry can twice in 30 years and that was on UK sites.

It would help this discussion to know what design your water inlet has.  Is it just an opening (with flap) that you push the hose into?

53 minutes ago, IanV8 said:

My original one had the narrow opening so I grafted a bigger cap on by cutting a bigger hole and screwing the larger fixed part on,

About 20-odd years ago I did the same.   It came in a kit sold by a boat chandler,  complete with about 6  screws

1 hour ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I'm not starting the 'my axle's better than yours' argument again, I think that dead horse has been well and truly flogged

No danger there, the Delta axle is better. It just doesn't impact on payload or change that in most cases I've looked at payload is no better on a German van (unless you pay for it, which seems very sensible to me)

17 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Twice so far in this thread I've mentioned that 90% of the time I fill my on-board 55 litre tank with a hosepipe from the fresh water tap on my fully serviced pitch. In reality its more like 99% as I've only needed to use my Jerry can twice in 30 years and that was on UK sites.

I do find that European sites sometimes have more taps than Uk ones but I hadn't realised fully serviced pitches had been a things for such a long time.

In reality, we use our aquaroll for the first fill and then either top up with a 10l or refill the whole aquaroll (if for example we've had two showers).

For most people's needs it's a brilliant design.

It amuses me to see people, who seem to spend all day walking backwards and forwards to the tap with quite often a watering can to top up the aquaroll if a U.K. subject or onboard tank if an EU citizen.   Before we had a tank we had 2 aquaroll.  Now we fill the tank with the first aquaroll.  Then refill the aquaroll to give us a reserve.   That way I can have a shower without having to trot off to the tap first thing. 

• Like 2

Whilst having a German van,with a tank and an optional external feed, I still use the Aquaroll to transport the water from a tap if the distance to the tap makes manhandling a "jerry-can" type container, all part of the German kit, too much of a job.

Very rarely using club sites let alone "service" pitches, where the tap might be 100 metres or so away  I think for my task it is a brilliant bit of kit.

So its usefulness or otherwise depends how handy a water supply is, there being no right or wrong, better or worse about it, other than in my case all options are available.

13 minutes ago, svimes said:

For most people's needs it's a brilliant design

I agree, it is but the OP's original question was why the warranty was only valid in the UK, my answer has gone off on a tangent into the virtues and differences of on board and external water storage systems

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I agree, it is but the OP's original question was why the warranty was only valid in the UK, my answer has gone off on a tangent into the virtues and differences of on board and external water storage systems

Why the warranty only valid in the UK or latterly Europe? Probably, as that geographic region is what the company owners chose to limit their responsibilities to?

Many bits of kit you will find, makers, importers etc offering varying warranty conditions.

However, has anybody ever needed to claim on an Aquaroll warranty? IMO the hobby would be a lot less hassle if all manufacturers built to similar quality standards and some had a fraction of Hitchman's design flair.

Edited by JTQ

38 minutes ago, fred said:

walking backwards and forwards to the tap with quite often a watering can

From what I've seen during my winters in Spain, the watering can is a necessary part of a motor caravanners equipment.   As you say, they seem quite happy making countless journeys lugging heavy cans back and forth to fill their tanks.     

52 minutes ago, JTQ said:

Why the warranty only valid in the UK or latterly Europe? Probably, as that geographic region is what the company owners chose to limit their responsibilities to?

Many bits of kit you will find, makers, importers etc offering varying warranty conditions.

However, has anybody ever needed to claim on an Aquaroll warranty? IMO the hobby would be a lot less hassle if all manufacturers built to similar quality standards and some had a fraction of Hitchman's design flair.

I agree but, to be fair, it would be quite hard to design an aquaroll that didn't work!

13 hours ago, SamD said:

I agree but, to be fair, it would be quite hard to design an aquaroll that didn't work!

Hitchman now do an 'Economy' aquaroll - same size but thinner wall thickness, and made of recycled plastic.

It's around 70% of the price of the proper barrel, and has  a 2 year warranty.

It'll be interesting to see how well it sells. 

It's the same size & shape as the standard model, but it's blue -so they should be easy to spot on campsites.