David132

Help appreciated on Swift Command panel.

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone! I’m new to caravanning and even to forums like this, although I’ve used them to research virtually every aspect of caravanning and the technical/operating side of my van in particular. 

I have a 2018 Swift Sprite Major 6TD which is fitted with a Truma Combi Heater and Truma control panel. I’ve looked at online videos of how to operate the control panel and it seems quite straightforward. What I am confused about is whether there is duplication between it and the Sprite Command control panel. I am confident about most of the Swift Command controls but it SEEMS that water heating and possibly space heating timer settings can be made on the Swift panel too. If that is so how does this work? Do both have to be set identically? Or does one take priority  over the other? I understand the Swift Command can be controlled by app but I am referring to use of the control panels themselves.  In a couple of weeks my family and I are using the caravan for the first time and I am hoping to understand this prior to going away. The van is in storage and I have limited time to play around with it. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. David. 

Edited by David132

If you are very tech savvy apparently it’s very straightforward. We however are not, so we just use the two control panels in their most basic settings and that works fine for us. Many folk struggle with it, especially transitioning between day and night mode. We just turn the temp down at night then back up in the morning.

• Like 1

The simple(ish) answer is that there is much duplication between the command panel and other controls, and you do not have to use a lot of the command functionality if you don't want to.

You need the command panel to control the awning light, pump and the Sargent radio(if fitted). It also gives you dimmer switches on some internal lights if you can be bothered. And some optional clever stuff such as a way of limiting power consumption to prevent tripping the bollard if you are on  a low amp hookup.

You can just ignore it for the heater, hot water and fridge if you want to.

The command panel also gives you lots of other information (again if you can be bothered) such as battery condition, internal and external temperature (but don't expect it to agree with the Truma heating system idea of internal temperature or any temperature reading such as on a smoke alarm).

You also get the option of an app on some phones to control things from there, useful to turn heating and awning light on before you get back to the site.

To my mind it would be better if it either did away completely with the other controls or kept its nose out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got Swift Command on our 2017 Swift Conqueror.

On ours it’s just a waste of time 

1 it’s very fiddly connecting up every time-signing in etc.

2 Bluetooth connection unreliable on connecting

3 Bluetooth connection drops out

We just use manual control

• Like 2

Thank you all for replying. So just to clarify, if I want to control the Combi boiler using the Truma control only do I delete any timer settings on the Swift panel? Or do I have to mirror them or is there an on/off selector on the Swift panel?  Sorry if I’m being a bit slow!

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. 

11 minutes ago, David132 said:

Thank you all for replying. So just to clarify, if I want to control the Combi boiler using the Truma control only do I delete any timer settings on the Swift panel? Or do I have to mirror them or is there an on/off selector on the Swift panel?  Sorry if I’m being a bit slow!

IIRC (caravan in storage!) on the command panel under "heating" there are three buttons "off", "timer" and "manual", just set it to "manual" and this effectively hands control back to the truma panel, although you can still (if you want to) use the command panel to set the temperature.

13 hours ago, David132 said:

With the alde heating  you select manual on the command panel, look under  heating settings.

Again with the Alde heating on the Alde panel you have a option of a tick box to give 3rd party control, so if you only want to control on the TRUMA panel I would look for the same options.

I don't use command to operate my heating only the ALDE panel, but by doing that I lose the ability to limit the current, the current limit only works when command is used for control, and its only capable of reducing the heating elements so not idiot prove.

I'm assuming the TRUMA system works in a similar way.

Hi. Thank you for replying. That clears it up for me. 

On ‎22‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 17:52, Stevan said:

IIRC (caravan in storage!) on the command panel under "heating" there are three buttons "off", "timer" and "manual", just set it to "manual" and this effectively hands control back to the truma panel, although you can still (if you want to) use the command panel to set the temperature.

Now that I am back in the van, the three buttons are "Manual", "Timer" and "App"!

The "Manual" option lets the Truma panel take control.

Posted (edited)

My 2018 Swift Corniche has the two control panels, Swift Command and Truma. Last year it all worked fine. Not being tech savvy, I kept to basic settings and used the Truma app to remotely check/control heating and air-con. I used the Swift command app to control lighting from the bed. 

This year, on our first outing, it all went wrong. Space heating, and more-so the water heater, played up relentlessly, turning themselves off apparently randomly. Waking up to cold water and having the space heater stop was bad enough but re-starting them only to see them switch off again within seconds was seriously annoying, not to say worrying. This happened when using either the app or the manual controls on the Truma panel. 

I contacted Truma Service who told me it was a Sargent issue as the Swift command panel was over-riding the Truma panel. This despite the Swift heating control being set to ‘manual’. 

On to Sargent who said (predictably?) it was not their control panel and I needed Truma to sort it. How often does that happen, eh?

I refused to play piggy in the middle and pressed Sargent’s tech ‘advisor’ for more info. After telling me all the other things wrong with my van (see below) from his remote analysis he said he’d speak to ‘someone’. A few minutes later he came back and said he’d done something that might work but no guarantees. It’s worked perfectly since then. My fingers are tightly crossed as I write this. 

The things, apart from heating, the Sargent advisor warned me about were;

The Tracker battery was almost flat

My Swift command system required a software update 

The Swift command comms unit needed changing  

All of these require another trip to a dealer workshop. I’ve been there three times already for repairs in the last year and another for its first annual service, where curiously they didn’t detect or correct the Swift command issues. I feel almost like one of the staff I see them so often.

This is my first and last Swift, I’m afraid, not just because of that. Only a few weeks into a long trip, I already have a sticking bedroom door, a faulty exterior door seal, something’s dropped off the front locker hinge and cooker control knobs fly off while travelling and the ‘securing’ clip has gone missing on one. 

It’s a comfortable and well laid out van but after several fault free Bailey’s this is not the build quality  we expected of a big-name brand. On to something else shortly. 

Edited by BillySmart
  • Like 1

Hello guys sorry to jump in only having a read of your comments made me smile I'm 51 years young now and have always been rather good with tech as I'm in the motor trade and like to think I keep up. However our 2018 swift command system honesty in my opinion is over the top I mean really do we need all this fancy tech in a caravan?  I wish when you order your new van there was an option to have have standard controls or fancy command the last thing I want when on holiday is stress I just want to switch something on and it works without having to read manuals over and over pulling what's left of my hair out there you go rant over swift please give your customers a choice or at least a training course lol 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Paul&Helena said:

Hello guys sorry to jump in only having a read of your comments made me smile I'm 51 years young now and have always been rather good with tech as I'm in the motor trade and like to think I keep up. However our 2018 swift command system honesty in my opinion is over the top I mean really do we need all this fancy tech in a caravan?  I wish when you order your new van there was an option to have have standard controls or fancy command the last thing I want when on holiday is stress I just want to switch something on and it works without having to read manuals over and over pulling what's left of my hair out there you go rant over swift please give your customers a choice or at least a training course lol 

Exactly. 

As a contrast.  We have a manual panel just as you go through the door.

1.  Master switch that switches everything off.

2.  A pump switch.

3.  A lights Switch.

4.  An awning light switch.

5.  Battery test button that gives you volts not useless coloured lights etc.

All are simple rocker switches.  Safe, reliable and easy to replace.  At a Glance you can see what is on or off.

In addition the van has battery back up to the Alde heating panel and a Load limiter fitted.  

We pull on site and hit one master switch and the Alde on switch (heating and water settings are all preset on the alde system).  All is up and running.

Tech should be simple to work and reliable without conflict of control.  The command system is none of these.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul&Helena said:

👍

6 hours ago, Alan Stanley said:

Exactly. 

As a contrast.  We have a manual panel just as you go through the door.

1.  Master switch that switches everything off.

2.  A pump switch.

3.  A lights Switch.

4.  An awning light switch.

5.  Battery test button that gives you volts not useless coloured lights etc.

All are simple rocker switches.  Safe, reliable and easy to replace.  At a Glance you can see what is on or off.

In addition the van has battery back up to the Alde heating panel and a Load limiter fitted.  

We pull on site and hit one master switch and the Alde on switch (heating and water settings are all preset on the alde system).  All is up and running.

Tech should be simple to work and reliable without conflict of control.  The command system is none of these.

But you don't have all that tech so its not your problem is it?

I knew how to operate my Swift before I took delivery, same with my Tiguan, just by research before hand.

I have a master switch

I have a pump switch

I have an awning light switch

I have a Alde switch

I have a charger switch (does your Bailey?)

And as a bonus I can see what AC current I'm using.

What current my solar panel is using.

What my battery level is.

What status my ATC is in and history on a trip.

Current load limiter is available using both the command panel or app.

Etc etc....

• Like 1

20 hours ago, xtrailman said:

But you don't have all that tech so its not your problem is it?

I knew how to operate my Swift before I took delivery, same with my Tiguan, just by research before hand.

I have a master switch

I have a pump switch

I have an awning light switch

I have a Alde switch

I have a charger switch (does your Bailey?)

And as a bonus I can see what AC current I'm using.

What current my solar panel is using.

What my battery level is.

What status my ATC is in and history on a trip.

Current load limiter is available using both the command panel or app.

Etc etc....

On our Swift Conqueror 560 2017 as I stated above connecting my phone via the app requires signing in to the Swift app-then no auto Bluetooth connect-then the Bluetooth connection drops out.

Pretty much a waste of time.

The app should be unobtrusive like my Seat Alhambra car phone app-it picks up my phone automatically and stays connected till the phone leaves the car.

The panel above the door lights up-unfortunately the glare renders the light switches invisible in the dark.

A feature I miss is the light for the water pump when it’s running ours is very quiet when it’s running dry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ancell said:

A feature I miss is the light for the water pump when it’s running ours is very quiet when it’s running dry.

Easy enough to do. I have fitted one in the plastic vertical corner panel near the pump. Ours is so quiet after mounting pump on rubber and replacing pipework each side with flexible,.

1 hour ago, ancell said:

On our Swift Conqueror 560 2017 as I stated above connecting my phone via the app requires signing in to the Swift app-then no auto Bluetooth connect-then the Bluetooth connection drops out.

Pretty much a waste of time.

The app should be unobtrusive like my Seat Alhambra car phone app-it picks up my phone automatically and stays connected till the phone leaves the car.

The panel above the door lights up-unfortunately the glare renders the light switches invisible in the dark.

When I had the Bailey I fitted a buzzer across the pump so I knew when it was running, it did have a tiny led same as my Swift but you couldn't really see it.

I don't have to sign in to my app on phone or laptop, but I need to connect Bluetooth on the phone unless I'm using data,   Swift don't auto connect to BT as you might have more than on Swift product with command.  My phone can also be set up to stay active when in the car or caravan using smart lock.

I don't like the position of the panels either so tend to use the App.