Sign in to follow this  
Mardler

Catches

We have HAFELE 245.40 catches, sprung, on the fridge and cabinets. 

The fridge and one other is broken. 

I now find that these are unavailable neither are there alternatives thus rendering the van unusable. 

Short of dumping the van what do we do? Replace the fridge false door and remove the fridge, glue the overhead locker shut?! 

Surely another type of door fastener could be utilized.   Some pictures might help.

http://dowel.co.uk/-p-980237.html

Are these any good - they do have an extra 3 digits on the part reference.

BG: that’s the one but out of stock.

Jaydug: I suspect your Rialto has the same catches. If so, beware that the lugs break leaving only one screw holding it on. The fridge false door probably has the same catch, if that breaks you are stuck just like us.

So far I have been unable to find a suitable replacement so will try using a high level cupboard door catch on the fridge door and jury rig the high level locker doors.

Anyone else got a solution?

28 minutes ago, Mardler said:

Jaydug: I suspect your Rialto has the same catches.

Fortunately, my Avondale doesn't use the same catches.   The overhead lockers use a spring device which either holds the door shut or open.   The only catch which has broken is on the wardrobe.   I replaced that with a magnetic catch.   Possibly you could use the same.   See:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/White-Mag-Catches-Cupboard-Door-Magnetic-Catches-Strong-Mag-Catch-Mini-Heavy/173772769220?hash=item2875aa07c4:m:m5fsP3vhly3T83vX8wfYK5w

Thanks, JD.

A magnetic catch on the overheads might work but definitely not on the fridge door.

JD: I should have mentioned that my Mayfly high level side locker lids have a  similar device to what you describe but the front ones, kitchen ones and fridge one are all Hafele Cara-Catch.

JD: there are loads of catches but none I have seen will fit. The space available on the rear of the false, trim, door is tiny.

I will try one of the other catches later having spent the entire morning looking for and contacting breakers!

Thanks for your interest.

After much fiddling (I found the spring that fell out of the fridge door catch) I fitted both broken catches back.

Fitting a different catch (from another door) to the fridge panel wasn’t viable as the plastic insert into the hole through which the bolt goes is broken and stands proud. In fact, looking at the parts, it is clear that the insert isn’t: it’s an integral part of the catch but has snapped off on at least two.

The search for spares continues.

Not really but thanks for the link.

The problem is that any other fitting means serious work. For example:-

Easiest is the overhead lockers. A magnetic or roller catch might work though the pull knob would have to be glued to the door or an old fitting butchered to cut a piece off of the bolt and use a nut & washer (more elegant) on the inside into the threaded knob.

The fridge door outer panel will only take the Hafele fitting which, like the others, is a cheap plastic  a pull catch. 

I just had an idea. A piece of thin stainless steel glued to the back of the old catches might enable both screws to be used again. There is a s/s fabricator very close to our next CL visit.

Thanks for the input, guys. Keep it coming!