Sign in to follow this  
BillySmart

Caravan and Motorhome Club Wi-fi - restricts what you can see

Posted (edited)

I bought the annual subscription to the CMC wifi recently only to find that it operates a “restricted mode”. This means that when browsing YouTube, comments are not allowed. I want to follow the political developments around the EU elections and communicate with others while in an extended trip but that’s not possible because the club won’t allow it.

It seems, as adults, we are now being censored by big brother. Thanks CMC.... not. 

Edited by BillySmart

Posted (edited)

They restrict any sites that use large amounts of data . That's why I use a 3 mifi as I can use 20gb in a few days and have unlimited contract for £22 .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Thanks for that info CommanderDave. Any advice on how to get the setup you have would be welcome. Never had any experience of mifi. 

It is a complete nonsense that the CMC is trying to censor what you see. They are perfectly clear when you purchase wifi access that it is only designed for emails and general browsing. Things such as streaming are not encouraged as to tackle that  they tend to throttle back  download speeds to about 1 mb which make sit unsuitable for using YouTube and data hungry applications.

David

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BillySmart said:

Thanks for that info CommanderDave. Any advice on how to get the setup you have would be welcome. Never had any experience of mifi. 

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/E5573bs-322_4G_Mobile_Wi-Fi?memory=0&colour=White

9 hours ago, klyne said:

It is a complete nonsense that the CMC is trying to censor what you see. They are perfectly clear when you purchase wifi access that it is only designed for emails and general browsing. Things such as streaming are not encouraged as to tackle that  they tend to throttle back  download speeds to about 1 mb which make sit unsuitable for using YouTube and data hungry applications.

David

I don't know whether you use the cc wifi David. I do, as well as also using our mobile router. I occasionally watch some youtube clips and have no problem with doing so on club wifi and no buffering. I did reduce the quality settings for viewing on my tablet rather than on 21'' screen mainly to reduce data usage. As Billy says the club's wifi provider does disable access to comments on Youtube. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

I use what appears to be the same kit. Mine is in black. I think that mime is Huawei E5577. I paid about £65 to buy it on Amazon about a year ago (unlocked) to replace a 3G version  that I gave to a friend. For me having one on contract would have been needless and more expensive. We typically use it on a 30 day, 35 day and 45 day tour each year mixed in with using included wifi on some sites as well as us having one subscription to cc wifi between the two of us. During the last 12 months I used EE prepaid Sim (from Argos) which is currently £40 for 24gb that has a lifetime of 12 months. I use the internet a lot of an evening whereas my OH tends to read. We don't watch TV. Of the 24gb there was 1.5gb unused at the end of the 12 months. Any youtube that I want to catch up on I tend to do using site wifi rather than our data. 

We are away 15 nights in December but on a cc site. As we spend around 60 nights on cc sites it is still worth us having one of their annual passes. Probably breaks even cost wise with our usage compared to our own data. When we were away over last Christmas the site wifi was rubbish for 2 nights but fine for the other 13. A useful point is that when we go out for the day we put the mifi unit and a tablet in the car. Useful if we decide that we want to find a place of interest if we have a change of plans whilst out. 

We use the same dongle. Don’t have it on a monthly plan though. Pick up SIM cards on the internet, cheaper than the shops. Travels everywhere with us and only gets used when site WiFi is poor!

Many public WiFi networks impose restrictions on the viewable content. Sometimes to conserve bandwidth and sometimes to comply with the ethics/standards of the provider.  I have, in the past stayed in at least hotel where the management have decided to impose child safe settings on all guests.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Easy T said:

I don't know whether you use the cc wifi David. I do, as well as also using our mobile router. I occasionally watch some youtube clips and have no problem with doing so on club wifi and no buffering. I did reduce the quality settings for viewing on my tablet rather than on 21'' screen mainly to reduce data usage. As Billy says the club's wifi provider does disable access to comments on Youtube. 

I use cc sites and at the moment 28 th night away on this tour and covered 8  club sites so far . I use my Mifi as the Smart TV is not so smart without internet and Sky box as you say it depends on use per year but I expect about 150 + nights away this year so it gets good use .

As an example before Easter I stayed on a site in S Wales for 26 nights that was £120 cheaper than cc and a service pitch excellently kept and free wi-fi at 56 gb. 

The cc still have a long way to go .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Posted (edited)

Currently about 3.5 weeks into a foreign trip.

Stayed on a campsite in Holland. 1Gb per day for each day we stayed. Included in the (ACSI) price.

Every site we have so far stayed on in France (5 Acsi & one municipal) provided free Wi-fi in the nightly charge.

It really is about time the CMC/cc and other operators in the U.K. got themselves into the 21st century and provided a similar standard of free Wi-fi access on their sites. I accept it needs to be restricted to stop some greedy individuals streaming TV or films, but it really should be there to enable people to surf or send/receive emails.

The internet is part of modern life now. Hotels etc provide it free, along with Wetherspoons, MacDonalds, Starbucks, my local garden centre and even Mrs Miggings  pie shop! many other businesses, so why do we still have to pay frankly exorbitant rates for access on campsites!   

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Like 1

Some hotels only give a reduced service free, with a premium charge to allow streaming etc.

8 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Some hotels only give a reduced service free, with a premium charge to allow streaming etc.

But at least the basic service is free, UNLIKE the CMC etc! 

Andy

C&CC has free WiFi, if there are restrictions I hav'nt noticed. But then I didn't watch Game of Thrones:rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Artleknock said:

But then I didn't watch Game of Thrones:rolleyes:

Didn't know there was a series about C&CC toilets?

geoff