Easy T

Advice wanted on Private Caravan Sale

Posted (edited)

Hi All, I am looking for advice on where to advertise a caravan for sale and any tips, warnings about cash and caravan sales. 

My neighbour (and friend) phoned this morning and asked if I am busy but did not say why and so I went right round. Long story short. He has a major health concern and his caravan must go as he will be unable to use it. 

He has a three year old fixed bed Bailey that has only been out a handful of times to a single site and towed less than 1,000 miles. It has EP (?) levelling system 12 month old auto motormover and is cosseted. At present he is gutted and will want my help to sell as probably an internet add as well as any feelers that he might put out. I am tied this morning but will go round this afternoon, take covers off carpet and furnishings and take some images. With a view to advertising it.

If you post and I seem not to respond it is because I am tied up much of the day and also much of tomorrow but appreciate any advice. I know that this has been discussed elsewhere but presently personally gutted at the news.

There are local dealers who will sell on commision but Pete does not want the chance of a sale dragging on ... such is his prognosis

Alan

Edited by Easy T

Sad news .

Only major advice is until fund have cleared in a bank account don't let the caravan go .

Caravan finder and eBay is what I use . I take it the warranty is still valid and it has had a full service record .

Dave

Indeed, serviced to schedule, levelling system warranted and under 2 years old, motormover 12 months old and warrranted and has been used off and onto drive half a dozen times.

I would ask the supplying dealer/service dealer if different how much they would buy it from him, probably less money than other ways but a quick problem free way to sell it.

Accessories being left in won't effect price much if anything, so they could be sold on Gumtree etc. if more wanted.

Try the local Bailey dealer and the dealer your friend bought from, if different - they may make a sensible offer and get the deal done quickly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Black Grouse said:

Try the local Bailey dealer and the dealer your friend bought from, if different - they may make a sensible offer and get the deal done quickly.

I wanted a 3 year s/h caravan from my Bailey dealer this year and he had none I went to other dealers and on internet and could not find any,  so I had to buy new.

So I feel this one will sell.

Yes, his dealer may give a bit less, circa £1,000 can be expected, than a private sale but it would be  quick and easy.

You need to Talk to your friend and convince him that under these circumstances a van is never  worth as much as the reluctant seller believes. 

As he does not want it "dragging on" he would probably be best biting the bullet and accepting whatever offer he can get out of a dealer, even though it may be disappointing.

1 hour ago, Easy T said:

Indeed, serviced to schedule, levelling system warranted and under 2 years old, motormover 12 months old and warrranted and has been used off and onto drive half a dozen times.

Look at the cost of the caravan on its own with no extras.  Is it the basic E&P pack or the complete E&P pack?  When advertising the caravan make sure to mention that it has £xx amount of extras fitted.  A dealer will only offer a price for the caravan without the extras, but they will want the extras. 

We used classified advert on eBay, the Caravan Club website and Practical Caravan magazine in that order.  With eBay we got numerous inquiries and had silly offers made and a lot of no shows plus someone tried to remove a knob off the hob.  We then advertised on the cc website and within a week had a genuine buyer willing to hand over £10500 in cash.

I would be very very reluctant to get involved at all in assisting with the sale transaction privately of his Caravan.  

As mentioned let him get Trade offers and then let him decide what to do.

However for what its worth .....

We have previously used Caravan Finder & Autotrader (Caravans) for successful private selling of our own Caravan(s) over a good many years - buyer & seller beware but mutually financially beneficial to both parties.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, montesa said:

I would be very very reluctant to get involved at all in assisting with the sale transaction privately of his Caravan. 

For a friend with a poor prognosis?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, montesa said:

Have you actually read the original post and what is actually happening?

Edited by GaryB1969

Thanks for replies. Just popped back in for 10 mins and coffee and off out again.

The dealer that sold him the caravan new is only 3 miles away but, surprisingly did not want to make an offer. Maybe he has all the stock of newer used Baileys? 

The levelling system is the full Monty Durbanite. 

19 minutes ago, montesa said:

As mentioned let him get Trade offers and then let him decide what to do.

However for what its worth .....

We have previously used Caravan Finder & Autotrader (Caravans) for successful private selling of our own Caravan(s) over a good many years - buyer & seller beware but mutually financially beneficial to both parties.

I stand by my friends Montessa and always have particularly in bad times.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Easy T said:

Thanks for replies. Just popped back in for 10 mins and coffee and off out again.

The dealer that sold him the caravan new is only 3 miles away but, surprisingly did not want to make an offer. Maybe he has all the stock of newer used Baileys? 

The levelling system is the full Monty Durbanite. 

I stand by my friends Montessa and always have particularly in bad times.

Motor mover and full E&P would be over £4k in extras. So take £2k of that and add it onto the market value of the caravan.  BTW does the caravan come with a Tracker and has he paid a subscription as may be able to transfer the subs.  The warranty on motor mover, E&P and caravan can all be transferred for a small price so an added bonus.

I sold my caravan in Feb this year. Put it on eBay and it sold in 4 days for what I wanted. Tried FB but only got chancers offering very low amounts.

Finally sold to a person who was looking for exactly that model and year. Paid cash in £20 notes! Ebay provided me with a very large audience very quickly. A good description and lots of photos meant noyone came to see it except the final buyer.

It's a long time ago now but I too found ebay gave far better results (and was much quicker) than alternatives. As long as you observe the usual sensible precautions it's fine.

Thanks for the input which I am grateful for.

Update. I have persuaded my neighbour to sleep on it for a week or so and to have some more discussion time with his wife before acting in haste. Maybe even pay for and get a second medical opinion. I'll still be able to help with a sale if the worst happens. 

Would an alternative be to offer to tow their caravan to a seasonal site of their choice so they can enjoy caravanning without the work ?

Posted (edited)

The site that they mainly use has storage so they could do that and my neighbour knows that I have made the offer to tow before but I am away rather a lot.  They tend to take a week or two on the same site every time but his wife still works and enjoys it and so a seasonal pitch would get little usage. Driving is not a problem for him and nor is setting up the van. As an Ex HGV driver he can position his caravan where I would struggle.They use a serviced pitch and the levelling system does the rest. The motor mover is just to get in and out of his parking space as it would be impossible to hitch where it is parked. His problem is staying alive.

Edited by Easy T

On 21/05/2019 at 08:52, Easy T said:

Hi All, I am looking for advice on where to advertise a caravan for sale and any tips, warnings about cash and caravan sales. 

My neighbour (and friend) phoned this morning and asked if I am busy but did not say why and so I went right round. Long story short. He has a major health concern and his caravan must go as he will be unable to use it. 

He has a three year old fixed bed Bailey that has only been out a handful of times to a single site and towed less than 1,000 miles. It has EP (?) levelling system 12 month old auto motormover and is cosseted. At present he is gutted and will want my help to sell as probably an internet add as well as any feelers that he might put out. I am tied this morning but will go round this afternoon, take covers off carpet and furnishings and take some images. With a view to advertising it.

If you post and I seem not to respond it is because I am tied up much of the day and also much of tomorrow but appreciate any advice. I know that this has been discussed elsewhere but presently personally gutted at the news.

There are local dealers who will sell on commision but Pete does not want the chance of a sale dragging on ... such is his prognosis

Alan

Be very careful if you take a bankers draft.  The problem is that you pay it into your bank and they show funds in your account.  Then when the 'issuing' bank receive it and find it is a fake, the funds are frozen in your account and eventually taken back.   If you do take a bankers draft, don't release the funds until your bank confirms the draft has been through the clearing process.  Better still insist that the buyer sends the funds to your account by direct telephonic transfer.  It's instant and foolproof.   Don't accept more than £5,000 in cash.  Your bank may want proof that you are not a money-laundering when you pay it in

On 21/05/2019 at 15:21, Easy T said:

Thanks for the input which I am grateful for.

Update. I have persuaded my neighbour to sleep on it for a week or so and to have some more discussion time with his wife before acting in haste. Maybe even pay for and get a second medical opinion. I'll still be able to help with a sale if the worst happens. 

Thanks all for your input. Spoke to my neighbour this morning and, after discussing with his wife, he has decided to sell. I think that given his usage over the last 3 years it makes total sense. I doubt that it has had more than 5 weeks usage. He is far better renting a cottage or similar. If I had as much usage in a year I would not be a caravan owner. I shall advertise on here as well as elsewhere, He is also selling a Kampa pro sunshine air 4 metre long 2.5m deep. I had not seen one before and this is still boxed apparently. 

The pictures on the advert are rather small and do not do the caravan any justice.  Maybe if they could be larger it may help an interested party decide as it looks to be a good bargain? 

Indeed Durbanite. Compressed too much and will redo. I did not know it was up and running and was about to check that it had been approved. Busy updating on other sites too.

Just now, Easy T said:

Indeed Durbanite. Compressed too much and will redo. I did not know it was up and running and was about to check that it had been approved. Busy updating on other sites too.

Has it been added to the Preloved site?  Free to advertise.