matrachel

Coachman VIP 570 melted water pipe

Just purchased a 2019 Coachman VIP 570, on getting it home plugged it in to check all services to discover water leaking out of the floor after investigation I discovered the problem. The hot water pipe to the kitchen tap which runs to the rear of the fridge was resting on the fridge motor which was red hot and had melted the hot water pipe causing water to leak all over the back of the fridge and flooring. Anyone else suffered with this. Now having issues with Coachman and my supplier

5 minutes ago, matrachel said:

. Now having issues with Coachman and my supplier

Are they not taking responsibility?

Posted (edited)

I,m really struggling for someone to take ownership, When I bought the caravan on Wednesday and paid for it in full I was told I could take it to a local Coachman dealership who will rectify any warranty issues, I have contacted my local dealer who have refused to do any warranty work, as it was purchased elsewhere. Coachman are stating it’s the dealers problem the dealers are saying it’s a Coachman problem. If not sorted soon I’ll be returning the caravan for a full refund as it’s not fit for purpose!!

Edited by matrachel

Whatever anyone says the dealer who sold it is responsible.....more advice will follow from those who know.

geoff

As has been stated many times on this forum, your contract is with the dealer you purchased from and NOT the manufacturer.  

Given the circumstances of this this incident I would suggest firstly you put your grievance in writing and detail what action you expect them to take in order to comply with the contract of sale you both entered into. Ask for a WRITTEN response, if they telephone you simply say “You have my letter, please respond in writing as requested” and hang up. Telephone calls are not good evidence, letters are! 

If they drag their heels then I would suggest you seek professional legal advice as to how to proceed. 

Andy

As stated above the responsibility is with the Dealer, he must sort this problem out, it should have been identified at the PDI, if he refuses get your money back and look elsewhere. I would love to know who the dealer is but sadly forum rules say don't name them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

As stated above the responsibility is with the Dealer, he must sort this problem out, it should have been identified at the PDI, if he refuses get your money back and look elsewhere. I would love to know who the dealer is but sadly forum rules say don't name them.

TBH I would not expect a dealer to do the in-depth checks you mention in the PDI, but would expect them to take ownership of the fault and correct it. It maybe their thoughts it is a design fault hence putting the ownership with Coachman, either way the dealer should fix and Coachman review the installation and maybe recall. 

Sorry I meant compressor, the issue may have been spotted on PDI had they not refused to connect the water as it wasn’t their policy because “they check it before preparation for collection”. We are kicking ourselves for not insisting now!! 

Sorry but they do not have a compressor they cool by using heat.

From Google

"The benefit of a 3-way caravan fridge is that it has three types of power sources: 12/24V, 240V and LPG gas. It doesn't have a compressor, but instead uses evaporating ammonia as a cooler."

As others have said. It is the supplying dealers responsibility to sort out / give a refund.   Any one else who gets involved either Coachman or another dealer are purely doing this as a good will gesture.   

If a PDI doesn’t include testing the services. I can’t see much point of it a functional water system is pretty fundamental.   We always insist on testing  all services both on gas and electricity before handing over any cash.    I know this sound smug because it is.  However when we bought the latest tow car last year we bought it.  Had it 10 days and went off to France with our adult daughter in the back.  She realised that one of the rear doors didn’t open from the inside and the outside handle came away in my hands.  When we test drove the car we couldn’t open the door and put down to a child lock.   Wrong!  So don’t kick yourself to hard.  

Remember that often insurance and the CMC  have legal helplines worth giving them a call, may also be worth asking about consequential loss if you are expected to drag the thing back to the supplying dealer. 

1 hour ago, fred said:

If a PDI doesn’t include testing the services. I can’t see much point of it a functional water system is pretty fundamental.   

In this instance, even the most thorough PDI would not have detected the issue unless they tested the water system after testing the fridge! The water system would have been fine before the workings of the fridge got hot enough to damage the pipe.

As others have said, it is up to the dealer who sold it to fix it!

One good reason to buy local.

What is the OP asking to be done to make him happy with the purchase?

What is he being offered?      Surely he not being offered no rectification.

Are the two things different and that the problem?

Thanks to all, especially who ever recommended contacting the caravan and camping legal aid web site, they have been a great help today quoting certain acts of law, which we have used against the dealer. To which we have made some ground albeit slow and painful.  Coachman are sending parts directly to us and on receipt of these a mobile authorised engineer will fix at our home address ASAP. I’d like to highlight this problem with our caravan in case anyone else suffers similar poor workman ship by Coachman and the problems it has caused. Fingers crossed the parts arrive as promised!!!