Oscarmax

Gold Storage vs Indoor Storage in Barn?

At present we store our caravan in gold storage about 8 miles from our house, unfortunately the site is poorly maintained plus we can only access the site between 9.00am - 17.00pm Monday to Saturday, however Sunday only 12.00 - 16.00. 

We have be offered storage on a CMC CL that we use, the storage is clean, inside a barn, the gates are locked plus  movements sensors, our insurance company are happy enough.

(a) The CL is 28 miles away rather than 8 miles of our existing storage.

(b) The CL storage is £150 cheaper than the gold storage, but our insurance will increase by about £25.00

(c) On the plus side we do not have to tow to the CL, but on the downside we have to collect and store it on the drive if we chose to go to the New Forest?

(d) Being stored indoors the caravan is protected from the elements.

We are tempted to change what would you do?

One of the elements the 'van will be protected from is the sun. Would this make a difference to battery charge/mover use?

I'm speaking from experience and I now have a small secondary solar panel slaved to the 'van in (covered) storage.

8 minutes ago, Mickyjb said:

One of the elements the 'van will be protected from is the sun. Would this make a difference to battery charge/mover use?

I'm speaking from experience and I now have a small secondary solar panel slaved to the 'van in (covered) storage.

Yes, I have considered an extra panel how have you set yours up?

Posted (edited)

As someone who professionally used to run a secure indoor storage operation I would pick that every day even if more insurance.

geoff

Edited by shipbroker

B-i-L has their '94 Elddis stored in a barn - it gets serviced every year and no damp ever been found - he reckons it's due to storing under cover.

I don't have any pictures of the setup and won't be at our storage till this coming Friday but I'll have a go at a verbal description...

...I have a short (30cm - just long enough to get the connector outside the locker door) lead with ring tags on one end (attached to the battery studs) and the standard solar connector (which I think came with the panel) on the other. That part stays attached to the van as there's enough room to tuck it down the side of the battery. The solar panel, lead (approx 3m) and mating connector stay in storage. I can put the panel at the bottom of the barn door (there's about a 30cm gap) and at this time of year I just lay it flat whereas in winter I prop it to catch the lower-angled sun.

Really only you can choose. To me though, 28 miles would be a deal breaker. I would not be too happy with 8 though either!

I once watched  CCTV footage of a gang stealing a caravan from a barn type place.

The aggrieved owner stated that he thought the perpetrators  had more time to go about their nefarious deeds unobserved as it was undercover away from prying eyes rather than outside.

Just a thought.

Ian

My daughter is organising storage at a site at Scarbro, they like going there and it will save them towing every other weekend, she got the idea from her friend who has there's stored in Northumberland, they live near Doncaster but prefer touring up north.  

13 minutes ago, Tandem Man said:

I once watched  CCTV footage of a gang stealing a caravan from a barn type place.

The aggrieved owner stated that he thought the perpetrators  had more time to go about their nefarious deeds unobserved as it was undercover away from prying eyes rather than outside.

Just a thought.

Ian

Yes, that is one side of the deal but the other side is that being undercover awareness of the existence of the caravan is less likely to be known in the first place.  Sure, especially if the location is remote,  those with evil intent have more time to do their deed, but this can be balanced against the fact they are less likely to know to go looking there in the first place. 

I use barn storage for my classic sports car, it is one of a dozen or more classics stored in the barn, the location is remote in as much as it near the end of a mile long cul de sac through farmland, although we're actually only about 2 miles from the nearest built-up part of town. Those of us that use the facility are mindful of not being too specific about the precise location when talking to people we don't know.  

As an aside, I've just had a big shock with regard to the cost of storage. Currently, the car remains in the North West where we used to live and where I paid £225 per year for the barn space, it is dry with light and power and 7-day access. Research in my new home area in mid-Sussex 10 miles north of Brighton suggests that I'm looking at towards (an unaffordable) £100 per month for a similar facility :o. I'm currently trying to devise a plan B. 

I would suggest that one Saturday morning you decide you want something out of your caravan at short notice and assume it’s at the new site. Get in your car and drive there. That will give you a “feel” for just how far Time and distance wise you would be looking at each and every time you wanted to go from home to your caravan AND back! 

Andy 

A new site has opened on the outskirts of our village ... ... £450 a year outdoor, but £1000 a year in the barn! My storage is 3 miles away, and costs £310, same standard!

John

Indoors always. Just the cleaning, or lack of, will more than make up the time difference.  Van is dry and lessstressed by weather. We have a 40w panel on the barn roof it keeps everything charged.  We use a £99 cover as well to keep the dust off. Van looks like new at 4 years old.  

In answer to op question what would I do, I'd move to a property where I could tore my caravan at home out of sight?

macafee2

14 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

B-i-L has their '94 Elddis stored in a barn - it gets serviced every year and no damp ever been found - he reckons it's due to storing under cover.

The seams may still leak, just that stored undercover it does  not show up

macafee2

We pay £240 per annum for round the clock/year secure access in Scotland. The security has recently been tightened, at the expense of some convenience, after attempted thefts.

You register your mobile phone with the storage company, and, as you approach the security gate, you dial the mobile number for the security system. The auto answer recognises your moby and opens the security gate automatically and then relocks. Same procedure on exit.

The original system did not require the entrance phone call to connect - the dial tone was sufficient; and, on exit, a sunken pressure pad operated and opened the gate automatically. However, local thieves scaled the security fence, forced entry to motorhomes, hotwired them, and then drove onto the pressure pad with their new free gift ...

For the cost of 4 moby calls each outing/return, and a very competitive price plus round the clock access, we feel that we have a very good service indeed. And the storage company has met the cost of the revised security measures without hiking the prices!

Steve

32 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

In answer to op question what would I do, I'd move to a property where I could tore my caravan at home out of sight?

macafee2

The seams may still leak, just that stored undercover it does  not show up

macafee2

They do use it intensively - still no damp.

On ‎20‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 17:10, Oscarmax said:

At present we store our caravan in gold storage about 8 miles from our house, unfortunately the site is poorly maintained plus we can only access the site between 9.00am - 17.00pm Monday to Saturday, however Sunday only 12.00 - 16.00. 

We have be offered storage on a CMC CL that we use, the storage is clean, inside a barn, the gates are locked plus  movements sensors, our insurance company are happy enough.

(a) The CL is 28 miles away rather than 8 miles of our existing storage.

(b) The CL storage is £150 cheaper than the gold storage, but our insurance will increase by about £25.00

(c) On the plus side we do not have to tow to the CL, but on the downside we have to collect and store it on the drive if we chose to go to the New Forest?

(d) Being stored indoors the caravan is protected from the elements.

We are tempted to change what would you do?

I have taken thing a stage future, our insurance company Saga has asked a few question, is the storage a business with accommodation for 10 or more units etc., they have asked some questions regards security which was ok.

We did get back to the CL owners regarding if they carry any liability insurance for the storage, they replied no only for the CL, they told my wife if they did damage the caravan they would give her £200 to repair it? and the storage was cash only?

The storage attractive as it sounds, but as a business concern it raises a red flag,

Insurance can also be concerned if it is a farm . I have mine inside a old barn but it has CCTV and electric doors to enter but I still had to convince the insurance the storage is not near the farm or any farming apparatus stored in the building .

Dave