ChasNick

Elddis rear panel cracks and caps

Hi 

Last year I joined this chat seeking out other members who purchased an Elddis caravan and have had issues with cracks appearing on the rear panel. I got a lot of replies from anguished members who are caught out with these costly issues not being covered by warranties and of course Elddis not offering any solutions. I personally had cracks appear on the lower part of the panel soon after purchase and this was sorted with a new panel. Unfortunately new cracks appeared later on the top left and right and the only solution (the caravan was now over 3 years old) they offered was caps to cover over them. I reluctantly agreed to this with assurances that this was a good fix. However, I now find that with only traveling more than 50 miles and just storing for 4 months a crack has now appeared below one of the caps (see photo). Needless to say Elddis are saying it is not due to the caps. I am sending this just to warn others that caps may not be the solution. If any one wants to look into legal action with Elddis let me know.

Charles

Your issue is with the dealer and not Elddis and you should be going back to the dealer as the repair that they did is not satisfactory.  Taking into consideration the price paid for the unit, one would not expect to have a major cash outlay for a repair so soon.  Can we assume that the caravan was bought after Oct 2015 and is not on HP.  If it is on HP it is a distinct advantage!

At one time about ten years ago rear panel cracks in the tool corners was thought to be the frame work behind the panei creating stress areas .

Dave

I've had the caps fitted and all seems ok for now. When you say new cracks have appeared I take it they are not underneath the caps themselves?

Anton

Posted (edited)

HI See photo

image.png

Edited by Grandpa Steve
pdf converted to jpg

Its not due to the caps, but stress cracks. Not sure what age your van is, but looks like a screw hole under the awing rail when they replaced the panel.

Sometimes they put odd ones in on the rear panels, to hold them in while the adhesive sets.

It could be as Commander Dave says as the corner timbers touched the panel and caused a stress raiser. If yours had a new panel they should have modified the timber corners.

Hi I think that is exactly what has happened thanks for getting back to me. .  The original replaced rear panel was done under the directions of that time but now they have added to modify the timber corners.  I believe it is the screws under the awning rail that could be causing this crack.  Unfortunately getting Elddis to do anything is impossible. The van was purchased in Sept 2013 the rear panel was replaced 18 months later due to cracks at the bottom and then the new cracks came 18 months later on the top hence the caps.  They say the new cracks are new and therefore beyond the 3 year warranty. Oh and I haven't even mentioned the cracks in the front under the storage which they say is due to putting the gas bottle on it - this is wrong as you can see that area stressing when moving the caravan with the mover on rough ground. 

ABS panels will crack like this under flexural tension when the van is towed as they are a snug fit. My old Coachman was not any better, but they did say panels had a 6 year warranty. Unfortunately it was 7 years old when the crack showed up. 

Vote with your cash and dont buy another Elddis product.

I would drill a small hole at the corner of the crack(1-2mm dia) and fill it with flexible sealer.

I am afraid that despite the hype about solid construction, you will find on this and other forums that damp and panel cracking are the norm.  My experience with both dealer and Eldis were that if within the 10 years of warranty, then constant repair under warranty meant that the warranty was doing its job.  No concern or compensation for the amount of time the van was unavailable to me, or for the 160 mile round trip every time I had to take it back to the dealer.  The whole customer experience with Elddis was the worst I have had in over 25 years of caravanning, so you have my sympathy.  It wore me down in the end, to the extent I nearly gave up the passtime.  Instead,  I took a huge hit on part exchanging it when 3 years old (planned to keep it for seven), and now have a Coachman, which so far, is infinitely better.

• Like 1