Sign in to follow this  
Les Medes

Tow Trust Bars

Do other folk have a problem connecting the electrics ( with the swing down socket ) from van to car who use a Tow Trust Detachable bar, those who do have a Tow Trust bar will know what I mean. Thanks in advance 

None especially - however our old DS4 which was also a TT was a cinch where as the Passat can sometimes be awkward. It has once not properly twisted when I removed the socket although I don’t think this is TT specific; YouTube video and a flat screwdriver, job done 👍

Posted (edited)

Ive had 2 towtrust detachable.  the first one had no difficulty connecting the electrics. 

My current one I do. I put this down to the clearance between the the socket and the bumper, my old one had plenty of clearance allowing you to fully grip the plug and twist it into position. The one I have now is very close to the bumper so can't get a proper grip to push and twist

Edited by Danuk
Spelling

I have one on my Ford S Max and it's not easy. I think it's due to how close it is to the bumper as well. I keep meaning to try do something about it as it's a bit difficult for an old bloke. :(

I’m on my 3rd Tow Trust bar and the most recent on my Kuga is more difficult but I am able to connect now without having to kneel. The only thing that concerns me is attaching the breakaway cable to the bracket, so I have put a bracket on to the actual tow bar which works ok and gives me more peace of mind . Voiced my concerns to  Tow Trust and they said  the socket bracket was strong enough.

13 hours ago, Les Medes said:

Do other folk have a problem connecting the electrics ( with the swing down socket ) from van to car who use a Tow Trust Detachable bar, those who do have a Tow Trust bar will know what I mean. Thanks in advance 

Most definitely as mentioned to you in another post.  The fitter had to change the socket.  It was still tight but I was just able to manage.  However quite often I connect up and one set of lights is not working.  I remove the plug and refit it and lights are working again?  Definitely no loose connections.  IMHO the Trust electric socket is probably less than 1mm too small for current caravan electric plug.

4 hours ago, Hoddy said:

I’m on my 3rd Tow Trust bar and the most recent on my Kuga is more difficult but I am able to connect now without having to kneel. The only thing that concerns me is attaching the breakaway cable to the bracket, so I have put a bracket on to the actual tow bar which works ok and gives me more peace of mind . Voiced my concerns to  Tow Trust and they said  the socket bracket was strong enough.

Surely then if the worst happened & your detachable tow bar becomes detached - as has happened to a couple of members on here - with the breakaway attached to it as well you've lost your van? 

17 hours ago, Les Medes said:

Not on my Kuga, although I do make sure I kneel to do it (I have a kneeling pad in the outside locker - an essential piece of kit for me)

17 hours ago, Les Medes said:

Yes I do, Have fixed the socket in the down position, but still need to kneel down on one of those padded garden things..

3 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Most definitely as mentioned to you in another post.  The fitter had to change the socket.  It was still tight but I was just able to manage.  However quite often I connect up and one set of lights is not working.  I remove the plug and refit it and lights are working again?  Definitely no loose connections.  IMHO the Trust electric socket is probably less than 1mm too small for current caravan electric plug.

Thank you sir, have had the socket and plug apart about 3 times now and gone around tightening up, never occurred to me it my be the socket, will get a new one fitted.:Thankyou:

2 hours ago, Woodie106 said:

Surely then if the worst happened & your detachable tow bar becomes detached - as has happened to a couple of members on here - with the breakaway attached to it as well you've lost your van? 

Hi Woodie 106, it is attached to the tow bar bracket before the removable tow ball. Would attach photos but away at the moment in the Algarve at the moment and would take too long to post with the speed of the WiFi here

26 minutes ago, Jacko1 said:

Yes I do, Have fixed the socket in the down position, but still need to kneel down on one of those padded garden things..

Thank you sir, have had the socket and plug apart about 3 times now and gone around tightening up, never occurred to me it my be the socket, will get a new one fitted.:Thankyou:

Before having a new one fitted, check it against the caravan plug.  The fitter had to try several before he found one that allowed the caravan plug to turn more or less freely.  I have written to TowTrust about the issue.

The method of inserting the vans plug IMO is not a good design, when you swing down the bracket with the socket, the socket is not fitted on the arm with the "flap" in the 12 O'clock position, it is in the nine O'clock position due to the drainage hole, so my problem is Keeping the flap open to insert the plug at the six o'clock position and then turning the plug to its lock position at  the  nine o'clock position, what you are doing is turning the plug in the same direction as the swing down bracket which I have a job reaching as it is so far under the rear of the car, does that make sense to my problem.

As a short term measure, I have had a new bracket fitted in the down position as a temporary measure but it is too low and is not the same height as a fixed swan neck bar that I am familiar with , this enables me to get me off next week to France.

I am really sorry that this post is long winded but it is difficult to describe, one look at it and you would see my dilemma.

Thank you everyone for your input so far 

As we have issues with the lights after connecting, I am now wondering if perhaps we should have had a dedicated electrics fitted to the Jeep?

8 hours ago, Durbanite said:

As we have issues with the lights after connecting, I am now wondering if perhaps we should have had a dedicated electrics fitted to the Jeep?

Absolutely...any car from around 2008/9 (some makes earlier) will be CANBUS and better off with dedicated electrics.

Re the TowTrust bit, I don't think the electrical side is made by Tow Trust, they only make the actual bar according to my look at their website and the installation instructions don't mention the installation of the socket...  My electrical kit was Right Connections.