Removing jockey wheel whilst towing?

steve123

32 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

My jockey wheel assembly most definitely does NOT drop a single MM.  

Andy

Nor mine Andy, but some do seem to have the problem.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

On 21/05/2019 at 10:18, Black Grouse said:

Why? If a tyre bursts on my car, the wheel rim will damage the road surface - since none of us does these things deliberately there's no reason to make it a criminal offence.

When my front coil spring broke and the broken end cut through the centre of the tyre the rim did not damage the road. No mark on the wheel and car driven 400 yards or more (slowly) to a pub car park to await recovery.

On ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 10:18, Black Grouse said:

Why? If a tyre bursts on my car, the wheel rim will damage the road surface - since none of us does these things deliberately there's no reason to make it a criminal offence.

Ha but, if you removed the tyre deliberately and damaged the road while driving on the rim would that be an offence. 

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I would point you to that most important of phrases in the English legal system

Prove it! 

A man man is innocent until PROVEN guilty, and you need to prove something “Beyond all reasonable doubt” and that isn’t always easy trust me!

Andy

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Just now, Mr Plodd said:

I would point you to that most important of phrases in the English legal system

Prove it! 

A man man is innocent until PROVEN guilty, and you need to prove something “Beyond all reasonable doubt” and that isn’t always easy trust me!

Andy

Only in criminal law - in civil law the proof only needs to be "on balance"

13 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Or the “preponderance of the evidence”.  Punished by issuing damages.  Good luck with that one.

🙊:)

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

14 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Oh for heavens sake man!! You used the word “offence” an offence is committed If you break a LAW. 

In the totally hypothetical situation you have raised, if it were me, I would merely claim that someone stole my jockey wheel when I stopped at the last service area/rest stop and there was nowhere to purchase a replacement! 

Prove it wasn’t!  

Your move! 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

16 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Oh for heavens sake man!! You used the word “offence” an offence is committed If you break a LAW. 

In the totally hypothetical situation you have raised, if it were me, I would merely claim that someone stole my jockey wheel when I stopped at the last service area/rest stop and there was nowhere to purchase a replacement! 

Prove it wasn’t!  

Your move! 

Andy

The verb 'to be' ALWAYS takes the subjective (nominative) case!  Tut Tut!

Pedants - Please ask yourselves -

"Why are some topics locked off?"

"Why do posters fall out and argue?"

"Is it always the fault of Admin/Mods?"

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

21 minutes ago, WispMan said:

Pedants - Please ask yourselves -

"Why are some topics locked off?"

"Why do posters fall out and argue?"

"Is it always the fault of Admin/Mods?"

If they're true pedants it'll be your fault no matter what!

Jaguar XF-S Sportbrake (2018) towing Coachman VIP575 (2018).

8 hours ago, SamD said:

The verb 'to be' ALWAYS takes the subjective (nominative) case!  Tut Tut!

Nominative and other cases refer to the declension of nouns,rather than the conjugation of verbs. The expression 'If it were me' uses the conditional tense of the verb 'to be' to reflect the fact that it was not Andy; but  if it were ...

Steve

On 21/05/2019 at 21:37, Mr Plodd said:

I would be interested to see where in the Con &Use Regs it states that a jockey wheel is required! I accept there are Regs in respect of over run brakes, security chains and breakaway cables, along with where such cables must be affixed, but none to sure there is anything about jockey wheels being a REQUIREMENT.

As I have in the past I am always happy to be proven wrong OR have my knowledge base increased. 

Andy

p.s. Garden trailers don’t have jockey wheels! 

My garden trailer has a skid and a security chain. It also has  a support leg for more secure loading, prior to hitch up [less likely to roll away down the ski slope that is our service road in France, and that is important because said trailer does not have a brake!  499kg of Type 1 aggregate takes a lot of stopping!]. Nonetheless, a jockey wheel was an option when I bought the Daxara 158 trailer in 2003,albeit more expensive than the support leg. Since I bought the trailer cover, spare wheel, spare wheel mount and security lock at the time of purchase, I had no money left for the jockey wheel!:D.

I recall that episode well. Left Scotland with a 1 year old [loaded to the gunwhales] Daxara 147 trailer fora camping holiday in the Loire; part exchanged the trailer at the Daxara dealer in Angers, to get more space [and saved import duties - new trailer + extras still a few pounds cheaper than the basic trailer at Indespension!]; which worked well until I loaded the new trailer to the gunwhales for the following year's holiday - and Mrs Marchie didn't agree that buying a 168 model would be quicker in 2004 because I could remember [pre-satnav] the location of the Vendor ... As we say in Scotland, 'God loves a trier' :D

Steve

1 hour ago, marchie1053 said:

Nominative and other cases refer to the declension of nouns,rather than the conjugation of verbs. The expression 'If it were me' uses the conditional tense of the verb 'to be' to reflect the fact that it was not Andy; but  if it were ...

Steve

Probably!  If it were...could also be subjunctive mood but that's not what I was pulling his leg over (leg over!!)  It should be 'If it were I'

Pedantic of Chessy!

Can I make a plea here please??

That being to revert back to the original (sensible) question and for some  to stop trying to prove that they are cleverer/better educated/better point scorers than others. 

The OP asked a perfectly sensible question I doubt if he (along with me and I suspect a lot of others) is in the least bit interested in point scoring, or the putting forward hypothetical scenarios, by others.

What he IS interested in is whether to remove his jockey wheel or not! 

Andy

Maybe it IS time for the mods to lock this thread.

Edited by Mr Plodd

I had to look twice then, I thought that I had clicked onto the caravan club forum...ooops!  

No don't lock it. Here I am sat in an airport with everyone walking by thinking what the hell is that bloke laughing at. 

There's precious little other entertainment here.  

2 minutes ago, joanie said:

I had to look twice then, I thought that I had clicked onto the caravan club forum...ooops!  

Is it true that they have a feature that allows other people to correct your posts.

Edited by Towtug

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Can I make a plea here please??

That being to revert back to the original (sensible) question and for some  to stop trying to prove that they are cleverer/better educated/better point scorers than others. 

The OP asked a perfectly sensible question I doubt if he (along with me and I suspect a lot of others) is in the least bit interested in point scoring, or the putting forward hypothetical scenarios, by others.

What he IS interested in is whether to remove his jockey wheel or not! 

Andy

Maybe it IS time for the mods to lock this thread.

Crumbs Andy - only a bit of fun.

On a lighter note also when I first read the thread title I had a vision of Indiana Jones climbing over the rear of the car and along the drawbar at 70mph on the M1 reaching for the jockey wheel.

• 1 month later...

hi there thanks for all the relevant and off the wall responses! was also looking at the new top of the range jockey wheel assembly and changing the whole thing as they look sturdy and the wheel a bit smaller as well - Kartt is the manufacturer anyone got experience of them?

Out of interest I was at my local Bailey dealer a few days ago and I mentioned the issue of the jockey wheel being “vulnerable” to damage from French speed humps/traffic calming humps. Their response was that they always recommend customers remove the jockey wheel when towing for EXACTLY that reason.

I have now purchased a couple of “R” clips (to replace the split-pin that holds the jockey wheel axle to the carrier) That way I can remove the “R” clip and the axle thus remove my jockey wheel easily and quickly  yet leave the carrier etc in place so, in the event of an unforeseen “detachment” the brake mechanism  won’t drop onto the road surface and the breakaway cable will be able to do its job. 

On 06/07/2019 at 13:40, steve123 said:

hi there thanks for all the relevant and off the wall responses! was also looking at the new top of the range jockey wheel assembly and changing the whole thing as they look sturdy and the wheel a bit smaller as well - Kartt is the manufacturer anyone got experience of them?

The only issue I can see with that is that no matter how sturdy the new jockey wheel is IF it comes into contact with a road hump or similar it’s still, more than likely, going to get trashed due to the very substantial shock loading that will be applied to it. 

On my Phoenix I have removed some of the black plastic A frame cover because it actually prevents the jockey wheel assemble from coming fully up! (Cracking bit of design!)  

So far the system seems to work, on the last France trip (a month ago) having removed the actual jockey wheel) the wheel carrier didn’t come into contact with any road hump (and I did go over a fair few!) 

Andy

• 1 month later...

update:

have purchased off ebay a longer alko threaded screw which i have installed which looks like the jockey wheel may be able to go higher as the red handle is no longer right at the side of the jockey wheel - fingers crossed!