Sign in to follow this  
Tashalou

Awning table

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for awning tables? We want something not too heavy but also quite sturdy. Also thinking perhaps height adjustable for the younger members of our family. TIA :) 

Posted (edited)

1677897418_Insidenewawning.thumb.jpg.ae6b7afe7e7608e14d7b6850bd194270.jpgWe always use the free standing table out of the van.

Edited by kiaboy
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tashalou said:

Also thinking perhaps height adjustable for the younger members of our family. TIA :) 

For use in the awning, height adjustable is useful for the uneven ground.   Particularly so if you use the table for cooking.

• Thanks 1

When our children were small we invested in an oval Lafuma table which had adjustable legs.  It folded in half like an arc and had hand grips for carrying. We needed an oval as three children make square tables too squashed!  We must have used it every outing and we are including an annual 6 week summer holiday to France and it is in the same condition 15 years later.  We’ve now given it to one of our sons as we don’t need one this size. Can recommend Lafuma, not cheap but excellent quality. 

https://www.lafuma-furniture.co.uk/camping-table-hawai-laminated-carbon.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, kiaboy said:

1677897418_Insidenewawning.thumb.jpg.ae6b7afe7e7608e14d7b6850bd194270.jpgWe always use the free standing table out of the van.

We have been using the freestanding one but it seems really high! Thought we might use that to put our electric hob on and get another height adjustable one for eating/games :) 

25 minutes ago, Bergamo said:

When our children were small we invested in an oval Lafuma table which had adjustable legs.  It folded in half like an arc and had hand grips for carrying. We needed an oval as three children make square tables too squashed!  We must have used it every outing and we are including an annual 6 week summer holiday to France and it is in the same condition 15 years later.  We’ve now given it to one of our sons as we don’t need one this size. Can recommend Lafuma, not cheap but excellent quality. 

Thank you sounds ideal! :) 

After a succession of cheaper tables from Quest and Kampa we bought an Isabella one last year. We got them to make a protective carrying cover for it when we ordered it at the NEC (about £40) and it’s been brilliant. Sturdy and stable. We were warned that the edges can be damaged so careful to pack and transport it with the foam edging strips in place (pipe lagging foam tubes). 

6 hours ago, Tuningdrew said:

After a succession of cheaper tables from Quest and Kampa we bought an Isabella one last year. We got them to make a protective carrying cover for it when we ordered it at the NEC (about £40) and it’s been brilliant. Sturdy and stable. We were warned that the edges can be damaged so careful to pack and transport it with the foam edging strips in place (pipe lagging foam tubes). 

It only has one adjustable leg so not sure about it on an uneven grass pitch?

14 hours ago, Bergamo said:

Can recommend Lafuma, not cheap but excellent quality. 

Thanks for the link and seen the rectangular one which can be adjusted on all four legs and would probably suit us better.  Reasonable price also.

I’ve just noticed a little cup and 1 on the bottom of my post. What does this represent? 

It means 'thanks'. If you move the cursor over the heart shape at the bottom of any posting you get four options to respond which are explained as you move the cursor over them.

5 minutes ago, Bergamo said:

I’ve just noticed a little cup and 1 on the bottom of my post. What does this represent? 

Somebody likes your thread...

Anyone looking for a folding table should look at this weeks ALDI SPECIALS,,,lots of permutations.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/c/specialbuys/dates/2019-05-23?sort=popular&q=%3Apopular%3AtransactionalStatus%3Atransactional%3AtransactionalStatus%3Anontransactional%3AEvent%3ACamping+%26+Travel&lowerBound=0&upperBound=200&text=&utm_source=Aldi&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=Header&utm_campaign=OSDEmail20052019&sap-outbound-id=8FE4E56FA7537B238413ADA152F3589E0F4A0647

geoff

12 hours ago, shipbroker said:

They look good value but as there are only the two of us, they are a bit on the long side.  Ideally a slatted table that folds up small and has adjustable legs would suit us better.  We have one at the moment that we got as a dealer special and now we know why it was a dealer special.  You can adjust the legs, but if you lean on the table, it goes down on that side as the leg lock does not hold.

Yup...I have one of those £2.99 at Oxfam.....not clever!

Geoff

On 19/05/2019 at 21:35, Bergamo said:

We have one just the same and have used it for at least 15 years. Although it's only for the two of us it's nice to have the space. I think the legs on ours are aluminium rather than steel.

It is heavy and the adjustable legs can get scored leaving sharp edges. And you have to be careful that the over-centre clips are engaged otherwise it can fold itself up - not recommended when about to eat! But otherwise it's an excellent table.

Of course you do need a tablecloth to be properly civilised!

IMG_4412.thumb.jpg.e964102aa06d7362f69eb8c98491b922.jpg

If you can find a Dukdalf table, these are very well designed, folding very flat and much lighter than Isabella (got one of those too). Legs all adjustable with a simple twist n lock action

Our last two foldable tables came from The Range, well made and decent price.

geoff

We like the folding table we bought from Go Outdoors which includes fold out seats. Our children are at the right height to eat at it, sat on the fold out seats.  Folding chairs tend to be designed for relaxing in and slope backwards a bit, so make it difficult for smaller children to be in the ideal position to eat at a freestanding table.

Iansoady, absolutely agree that a tablecloth is essential along with glass wine glasses!!!

Posted (edited)
On 20/05/2019 at 12:29, Durbanite said:

It only has one adjustable leg so not sure about it on an uneven grass pitch?

Not been a problem so far. Three legs will always be stable like a milking stool, just adjust the 4th leg to contact the floor and it’s rock solid. 

Edited by Tuningdrew
Typo

14 hours ago, Tuningdrew said:

Not been a problem so far. Three legs will always be stable like a milking stool, just adjust the 4th leg to contact the floor and it’s rock solid. 

It might have something of a tilt though - cue for spilled wine and frantic mopping up......

We've had various camping tables over the years of various styles but the one we currently have is the best one by a country mile, not cheap but like everything else you get what you pay for:

http://www.westfieldoutdoors.EU/en/products/camping-furniture/be-smart-series/detail/extender-extender/

Just received a Go Outdoors catalogue, and they seem to have a good selection, including some with adjustable legs - here.

John

27 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

Just received a Go Outdoors catalogue,

And I see they sell the same table I bought a few years ago.   I've dumped the heavy free-standing caravan table and instead I carry this one in the rack.   I use it in my awning to hold my electric cooker and microwave oven.   The table top isn't wide enough for both ovens side by side, so I've made an additional top from hollow upvc cladding.    The top travels under one of the seat cushions.   Each table leg is adjustable so that the two ovens can be set up perfectly level.

P1070282.JPG

• Like 1

We have a preference for the slatted table as it can fold up small and take up less room!  We also dumped the heavy stand alone table that came with the caravan.