JCloughie

Thermostatic Mixing Valve (again)

I got a TMV recently to protect the shower.  But when I came to fit it there simply is not enough room in my intended location.  So I had a rethink and tried to fit it in ducting before the wash hand basin.  Still no chance.  There is room at floor level under the basin cabinet but it looks a very big job to get to.  So that’s out.

The only place there is room is under the front bunk between the boiler and the sink.  Problem is I will control all the hot water outlets.  This may be fine, but not the intension.  It’s nice to have really hot water for the dishes and the TMV may reduce the temperature a bit too much.  (But perhaps not).

So I am seeking opinion.  Perhaps from others who have already fitted one.  Or, from those whose van came factory fitted.  Where is their TMV located, and are the happy with the function.

John

2 hours ago, JCloughie said:

I got a TMV recently to protect the shower.  But when I came to fit it there simply is not enough room in my intended location.  So I had a rethink and tried to fit it in ducting before the wash hand basin.  Still no chance.  There is room at floor level under the basin cabinet but it looks a very big job to get to.  So that’s out.

The only place there is room is under the front bunk between the boiler and the sink.  Problem is I will control all the hot water outlets.  This may be fine, but not the intension.  It’s nice to have really hot water for the dishes and the TMV may reduce the temperature a bit too much.  (But perhaps not).

So I am seeking opinion.  Perhaps from others who have already fitted one.  Or, from those whose van came factory fitted.  Where is their TMV located, and are the happy with the function.

John

Hi John,
I dont know your caravan layout, what I did with mine for similar problems was to pipe the TMV with copper pipe (much tighter bends and 'T's etc, the valve then fitted in quite easily with the caravan flexible piping running straight into it. The other option of course is to replace the shower valve with a thermostatic one, some of them can just have th einner cartridge replaced to make it a thermostatic one. Thermostatic valves not only maintain the temperature but also prevent very high temperatures too, even if you turn them to fully hot. You can often move a peg around to set the max temperature the user can select, maybe this would work for you?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

You can often move a peg around to set the max temperature the user can select, maybe this would work for you?

Mine is adjustable but just wont fit anywhere except under the bunk so would have to operate all 3 outlets.

I should have mentioned, mine came with no return isolating valves.  I was not going to fit these otherwise the system will not drain fully.  But even without the valves it’s still too big.

John

Edited by JCloughie

As you have space before the kitchen, why not use a "tee" connection to break into the supply and put the valve on the other branch?

7 minutes ago, Ern said:

As you have space before the kitchen, why not use a "tee" connection to break into the supply and put the valve on the other branch?

Thanks for the suggestion.

Fitting before the kitchen is easy but I can’t get to the ‘T’ that feeds the sink. I can see it, but I can’t reach it.  

I really need need to know if the temp will be hot enough for the dishes.

John

I recently fitted a TMV see here

If your shower hoses tee off the wash basin, then could you not fit it under the sink like I have?

4 hours ago, JCloughie said:

John

protect the shower, do you think the hot water will damage it?

macafee2

2 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

protect the shower, do you think the hot water will damage it?

macafee2

That really is not the point of them.

John

7 hours ago, JCloughie said:

Mine is adjustable but just wont fit anywhere except under the bunk so would have to operate all 3 outlets.

That part of my post was alluding to changing the shower controls (the tap inside the shower) to a thermostatic one as an alternative option.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

That part of my post was alluding to changing the shower controls (the tap inside the shower) to a thermostatic one as an alternative option.

I will investigate to see if there is a thermostatic cartridge insert and how to change mine.  I did not know that that was a possibility.  However, to change the whole tap would be a very big job to access the rear.

John

PS.  Just had a look.  There are replacement domestic  cartridges for as little as £11.  But look far top big for my tap, also my tap it a tilt and turn and that turns up nothing with a search.

Edited by JCloughie

I think it will be fine for the dishes. 

Mine gets hot, but not so hot you can’t hold your hand in it.

Given your choice I would put up with slightly less hot washing up water and make the installation easy. 

Posted (edited)

I believe it's a simple equation; the hotter the water at the tap, the less of it you need. In the caravan the Carver heater on electric gives water at 70°C and the heat pump at home is set to 50°C. I can (and do) wash the dishes at both locations but I use more water at home. IMO the OP should try the 'easy' option and if it doesn't work, he should think again. If he's got time left over after filling his Aquaroll, that is.

Edited by hawkaye
speling

1 hour ago, hawkaye said:

I believe it's a simple equation; the hotter the water at the tap, the less of it you need. In the caravan the Carver heater on electric gives water at 70°C and the heat pump at home is set to 50°C. I can (and do) wash the dishes at both locations but I use more water at home. IMO the OP should try the 'easy' option and if it doesn't work, he should think again. If he's got time left over after filling his Aquaroll, that is.

It will not affect the quantity of hot water at all.  Just the temp at the outlet,  the two benefits are.  Anti scald and much easier to set the desired temp for a shower.

1 hour ago, John W said:

I think it will be fine for the dishes. 

Mine gets hot, but not so hot you can’t hold your hand in it.

Given your choice I would put up with slightly less hot washing up water and make the installation easy. 

Are you saying that you have a TMV, and is it fitted before the kitchen?

John

John

I fitted one under front bunk in a previous van.

The original hot water pipe had a ‘T’ joint under the kitchen sink.

I removed the ‘T’ and fitted an elbow joining the pipe from the front to the one up to the sink.

A new length of pipe from the front to under the sink was joined by a straight connector to the pipe going to the bathroom. This was connected to the flow on the TRV.

The TRV was then fitted with the hot and cold supplies taken by ‘T’ connectors at the front.

All worked well, but the water presenting itself in the bathroom at the preset temperature perhaps took a bit longer to get there.

My TMV controls bathroom only for exactly the reasons suggested in the op. Works fine like that but perhaps wouldn't be hot enough for dishes if it was controlling the kitchen sink.

1 hour ago, Roblevelo said:

My TMV controls bathroom only for exactly the reasons suggested in the op. Works fine like that but perhaps wouldn't be hot enough for dishes if it was controlling the kitchen sink.

Thanks Roblevelo, that was my thoughts so I will refrain from fitting mine.  At least for the time being as we leave for France on Tuesday so not enough time.

John