Sign in to follow this  
Venus620

Thetford not working. No pink fluid rinse!!!

Hi there we are away in St Ives and I went to use the toilet in our Venus 620.

I pressed the button on the top and it made the correct noise but no pink fluid has come out. I’ve had a little look on YouTube and it could be the pump clogged as I did put blue fluid in the wrong compartment when we first got the van (school boy error I know)

Now I’m trying to locate the pump on our thetford but can’t see how to get into it. Just wondering if anyone could help. I have attached a picture of the thetford as I know there are a few different models out there. 

7CC401C6-8443-4E6E-8E6B-4F7B60548842.jpeg

Can you clarify what you did please in first place.

Was it a small amount of blue you put in flushing tank and that all?

Some vids on You Tube but basically prise off the grey surround with a sharp knife.. IIRC, this should reveal two screws which when undone, allow the push button control plate to be removed. Then you have access down inside the flush tank and also the pump at the bottom on a hose. Be prepared that you might need to reseal the control plate as the seal can get damaged.

Schoolboy question, but the tank is full?

• Like 1

If you can get on youtube then you could look for the manual, if you dont have one to hand, but, as said seems to be more to this-wrong fluid etc-unless rinse tank is not full?

To get to the pump you need to peel the sticker off the top with the push button, remove control panel and the pump comes out of the top. If the sticker will not re stick you may need a new one obtainable from a dealer or the Internet. 

22 minutes ago, Guzzilazz said:

Schoolboy question, but the tank is full?

Yes that's the basis of my asking just what as he done in my post above.

If only blue in the flush water tank he needs to fill with water and drain it out of the rubber drain pipe rather than flush it out toprevent toilet bowl getting stained.  Then start over again.

If it is a C250 model the pump is located at the Bottom of the tank. You need to remove cassette and drain tank. Then remove U tube clipped on the bottom and press clips each side of pump to pull it down and out.  If it is a C260 peel label of top of tank then remove circuit board and pull pump out from the top.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Can you clarify what you did please in first place.

Was it a small amount of blue you put in flushing tank and that all?

Yes we i first got the van I put blue into the  flushing tank and that was it. I may of done it again on the 2nd trip also. It was working but when pressed the button blue was coming out but now nothing comes out just makes a noise. But as I’ve read the blue is very thick so I’m guessing it needs a good rinse. 

3 minutes ago, Venus620 said:

Yes we i first got the van I put blue into the  flushing tank and that was it. I may of done it again on the 2nd trip also. It was working but when pressed the button blue was coming out but now nothing comes out just makes a noise. But as I’ve read the blue is very thick so I’m guessing it needs a good rinse. 

Yes then fill flushing tank with water that's all we use but if you wish add a little pink to make it look pretty.

Drain tank prior to travelling is recommended and if not no more than two thirds full.

Might be being a bit thick but how would I drain tank?? And also will I know when the  flushing tank is full of water so I don’t over fill it. 

It may help to read the owners instruction manual which would be supplied with the caravan. Alternatively, as Alan said above the manual is on the internet. Its all simple stuff if you read the book.

On mine you open the cassette door and a short rubber tube with a tap is hidden just inside at the top, feel around for it, dealer showed me it ar handover, would never have found it myself.

1 minute ago, Ern said:

It may help to read the owners instruction manual which would be supplied with the caravan. Alternatively, as Alan said above the manual is on the internet. Its all simple stuff if you read the book.

The owners instruction manual doesn’t tell you how to fix anything. 

It has a rather poor exploded diagram of the toilet and not much else.

Open the cassette door.  On ours there is a flexible pipe clipped horizontally just inside at the top.  I release that and remove the bung in the end.

• Like 1

That’s great. I’ll get stuck in once this rain has stopped. You guys make it sound very easy haha. Thanks for your help. Will keep you all posted how it goes. 

So I have found the little rubber pipe and now I’m just flushing fresh water down the flush compartment. As you can see by the pic it’s still running out blue do I need to wait until this starts coming out clear?? 

2CC75368-BA6F-48E0-B23C-56CADF1789C4.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Yes, let it run clear.  Won’t take long anyway.  

If the pump or a pipe is blocked, or the impeller seized, the noise you should hear is a buzz.  But if you hear it spin, it could be that a pipe has come adrift or one of the connectors snapped off the pump.

John

PS just tried a YouTube search with “thetford toilet flush repair”.  Good half a doz videos worth watching.

Edited by JCloughie

That’s great I’ve sorted it now. The flush is running a nice pink colour now. But lesson learnt don’t put blue in the flusher :) thanks room :goodpost:

to see how much the tank holds simply fill it up till water get to the edge of the filling hole..  then drain it and count how many litres..  I normally set off with the chemicals (in correct sections) a couple of pints of water in the bottom and 1/3rd  full the top.. that way its one less thing to do immediately when you arrive on site, plus great if you have to stop en-route in a lay-by for a quick call of nature..

15 minutes ago, Les666 said:

to see how much the tank holds simply fill it up till water get to the edge of the filling hole..  then drain it and count how many litres..  I normally set off with the chemicals (in correct sections) a couple of pints of water in the bottom and 1/3rd  full the top.. that way its one less thing to do immediately when you arrive on site, plus great if you have to stop en-route in a lay-by for a quick call of nature..

Great advice Les 

will definitely give that a go. Like you said saves a job when you arrive on site. 

Cheers  :D

Just to clarify re blue in the flush tank.

SuperKem advanced toilet fluid & rinse, is blue, and is designed for the flush and holding tanks.

For the last 4 years, that is about 400 nights, I have been adding diluted Thetford and Elsan blue to the flushing tank. No blockages, no staining of white bowl. I do however empty holding tank everyday.

Just my experience.

Do you  use a flushing agent/additive (pink blue green orange?) in your home toilet flush tank? 

If not (like me) fresh clean water does the job perfectly adequately and (apart from the water) at zero cost. No additional “stuff” to carry/store/run out of. 

Personal choice again innit? 

Andy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I should have mentioned that I don’t put any additives in the holding tank, just what gets there by way of flushing of the toilet. 

I started doing this as I found by accident that this method,  for me, prevented the build up of limescale in the flap/trap mechanism. I spend a lot time in an area were limescale is a big big problem.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

Do you  use a flushing agent/additive (pink blue green orange?) in your home toilet flush tank? 

If not (like me) fresh clean water does the job perfectly adequately and (apart from the water) at zero cost. No additional “stuff” to carry/store/run out of. 

Personal choice again innit? 

Andy

On the face of it I agree, but then at home the flush is about 50 times better, and there is a ‘U’ or ‘S’ bend.

John