Sign in to follow this  
Lozzyf

Skoda superb SE 1.5 TSI 150PS DSG ACT 5dr

Does anyone have one of these and If so  What do you tow with it?

Posted (edited)

Have you bought it yet?

Lot's of issues with the 1.5TSi ACT across all VAG vehicles at the moment and numerous software updates have not solved the hesitation and killing power issues.

The 1.5TSi gets the 7 speed dry clutch DQ200 DSG which is not really suited to towing. Also the engine torque is limited to 250NM because of the limitation of the gearbox.

You would be a lot better off looking at the 2.0TSi DSG as it has far more power and torque and gets the wet clutch DSG

Lee

Edited by logiclee
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, logiclee said:

Have you bought it yet?

Lot's of issues with the 1.5TSi ACT across all VAG vehicles at the moment and numerous software updates have not solved the hesitation and killing power issues.

The 1.5TSi gets the 7 speed dry clutch DQ200 DSG which is not really suited to towing. Also the engine torque is limited to 250NM because of the limitation of the gearbox.

You would be a lot better off looking at the 2.0TSi DSG as it has far more power and torque and gets the wet clutch DSG

Lee

No ,we have one on test. It will be a company car and that is governed by how much tax my OH is willing to pay! We love the Volvo XC 60 (too much tax) but this ticks all the box’s i however said it wouldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding the OH disagrees. 

It doesn’t matter as we have an Xtrail . But there would be no point putting a tow bar on to look pretty 😁 .the 2.0 Ltr. would cost too much in  tax .so I guess we won’t be pulling our van with it .

2 minutes ago, Lozzyf said:

No ,we have one on test. It will be a company car and that is governed by how much tax my OH is willing to pay! We love the Volvo XC 60 (too much tax) but this ticks all the box’s i however said it wouldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding the OH disagrees. 

It doesn’t matter as we have an Xtrail . But there would be no point putting a tow bar on to look pretty 😁 .the 2.0 Ltr. would cost too much in  tax .so I guess we won’t be pulling our van with it .

The DSG does not suffer from the main issue with the 1.5TSi and that is a drop in power as the clutch on the manual is being released.

Tell your husband to try a high speed cruise and ensure he's happy with the switch between 2 and 4 cylinders which is indicated by the eco light on the dashboard.  Some find this unpleasant but it seems to be a model by model issue at the moment.

Loads of information over at www.briskoda.net 

Lee

• Thanks 1

Lots of Passat owners on the forum I use complaining about the 1.5 150ACT with a manual box being borderline underivable when cold and generally stuttering; DSG doesn’t seem to suffer though.

I’ve driven both the 130 in a Golf and 150 in an A3 with manual gearboxes though and thought they were absolutely brilliant.

• Thanks 1

I was talking to my Skoda dealer service receptionist on Thursday and he said they have three customers with 1.5 Karoq's that are almost undriveable, but all the other 1.5's they've sold are fine. VAG are still working on the software to sort them all out. Sounds like the luck of the draw.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, logiclee said:

The DSG does not suffer from the main issue with the 1.5TSi and that is a drop in power as the clutch on the manual is being released.

Tell your husband to try a high speed cruise and ensure he's happy with the switch between 2 and 4 cylinders which is indicated by the eco light on the dashboard.  Some find this unpleasant but it seems to be a model by model issue at the moment.

Loads of information over at www.briskoda.net 

Lee

I have driven it myself and have watched the eco cut in but not noticed any major issue .i like the drive and I like the car. My main issue was whether it pulls a van or not .it being a company car it would go straight back if he has any issues (and woe betide them if it does) Skoda has certainly come on since the jokes about them being a wheel barrow!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lozzyf said:

Does anyone have one of these and If so  What do you tow with it?

I don't have a skoda but I tow with a 1.5 pertol turbo. I pull a 1250 mptlm swift. It pulls it with no issues even up a 17% hill I had to go up, nice and stable with decent acceleration as all the torque comes in at 1500 rpm and that is what counts.

Would I want to tow anything heavier, probably not but for the weight that I do im more than happy.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lozzyf said:

I have driven it myself and have watched the eco cut in but not noticed any major issue .i like the drive and I like the car. My main issue was whether it pulls a van or not .it being a company car it would go straight back if he has any issues (and woe betide them if it does) Skoda has certainly come on since the jokes about them being a wheel barrow!

The manual 1.5ACT's have the most problems and the common belief is it's due to some anti-stall software and emissions software that is preventing a smooth pull away from rest. 

Some people find themselves fighting with the software to get a smooth get away. Obviously with DSG you do not have this issue as the computer is controlling the engine and the gearbox.

One final point on the DSG.  The 1.5TSi has VAG's only dry clutch box the DQ200. It only has a torque limit of 250NM which is why the engine is capped at 250NM.

The DQ200 also has the reputation as being the least reliable DSG. It's had several recalls but still has too high a failure rate.  I've had run 11 DSG's. Six have been various models of the wetclutch DSG's and all have been faultless. 

Five have been DQ200's and four of those have had issues. The last one had over £5000 of repairs.

For a company/private lease or a car in warranty then not to much of an issue but for anyone running a DQ200 I'd recommend buying a good warranty.

But saying all that the Superb's are superb.

Lee.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, logiclee said:

The manual 1.5ACT's have the most problems and the common belief is it's due to some anti-stall software and emissions software that is preventing a smooth pull away from rest. 

Some people find themselves fighting with the software to get a smooth get away. Obviously with DSG you do not have this issue as the computer is controlling the engine and the gearbox.

One final point on the DSG.  The 1.5TSi has VAG's only dry clutch box the DQ200. It only has a torque limit of 250NM which is why the engine is capped at 250NM.

The DQ200 also has the reputation as being the least reliable DSG. It's had several recalls but still has too high a failure rate.  I've had run 11 DSG's. Six have been various models of the wetclutch DSG's and all have been faultless. 

Five have been DQ200's and four of those have had issues. The last one had over £5000 of repairs.

For a company/private lease or a car in warranty then not to much of an issue but for anyone running a DQ200 I'd recommend buying a good warranty.

But saying all that the Superb's are superb.

Lee.

. . . . Thinking about it ,when it was in sport mode it was a funny feeling from stop to run as the engine does stop and restart. I didn’t find that in ordinary drive mode. It was a lot smoother.

39 minutes ago, Lozzyf said:

. . . . Thinking about it ,when it was in sport mode it was a funny feeling from stop to run as the engine does stop and restart. I didn’t find that in ordinary drive mode. It was a lot smoother.

Being dry clutch the gearbox will always try and avoid clutch slip and wear which can make low speed manouvering a little less than smooth at times and can make towing difficult.

In sport mode the clutch engage time is even quicker. This probably suits a light Fabia better than it does a heavier Superb.

Sport really doesn't suit driving smoothly and with soft start enabled. OK for a bit of fun but I doubt you'd use it often.

• Thanks 1