ChevyR

Cost to Repair Unicorn S3 Leaking Roof

Recently bought a 2015 Unicorn Valencia S3 that we've just discovered has a leak near the entrance to the bathroom. This is directly under the roof join so we assume that's the culprit. Due to ill health the previous owners didn't use the van much for a period of time missing a couple of service/inspections. As such, there doesn't seem to be any warranty cover for this despite it being a known fault on the S3 around that time, and being well within its 6 year body shell integrity warranty. Reading other threads Bailey seem to have modified the design  but does anyone have any idea what this is likely to cost us to repair? This is by far the newest caravan we've ever owned. We love the van and it still smells like new but this has us a little concerned/depressed about what we do now.  Any advice appreciated.

The re-seal is allegedly a straight forward repair ...

I have a 2015 cadiz that had the repair done along with many other owners under warranty.  The repair is quickly done as they have done so many, but mine had to stay overnight for the mastic to cure. I dont know ; but 3 hours would be my guess. 

Get it done and enjoy your new van, it shouldnt be that much.

Book it in at the dealers workshop and get it done. its got to be done no matter who is paying. Tell the dealer you expect they will do it under the terms of the sale.

I dropped mine off at 9am and they rang at lunchtime to say it was ready.

I did have to wait a few weeks for the parts though.

In the meantime, I found that if I stored and pitched it very slightly nose down the leaking pretty much stopped.

Posted (edited)

If it's not been serviced then you'll have to pay. Can't imagine it being expensive. Why not ring your local dealer and ask?

Edited by perksm

If you have it done at a dealers & the original rail comes off ok (which it probably will if its leaking), you can have that rail refitted along with refitting the original water management caps. The modified rail is wider than was originally fitted on early Alutec van's but you should have the newer version already on a Uni 3. If your rail is refitted it should cost you about 2hrs labour + a couple of tubes of RV61 sealant, be prepared to leave the van at the dealers overnight to allow the adhesive to cure before the van is moved too much.

Posted (edited)

The rail has been modified again in the last couple of years so would just replace (the originals can be modified but do bend whilst being removed) it also the sealants used have also changed  and the likelihood of the water management caps not being a bit brittle at 4 years old i think i would just get the job done with all new parts they wont be that expensive as they are still current production type.  Any Bailey dealer should be more than competent to take on the repair.

Edited by Cvan1

Sometimes it’s not the joining strip that has gone but just the end caps.  I had the joining strip replaced and then about a 18 months later the end caps needed re-sealing.  It’s not a great design.

Mark.

I did a temporary repair with Sikoflex after cleaning up the end caps etc.  The temporary repair lasted a few months until the dealer got the repair kit from Bailey.