Sign in to follow this  
Grumpy Auld Smeesh

Satellite ??

After giving up and selling the lot and now returned to the caravan brethren have been purchasing most of my kit second hand. Just yesterday bought a immaculate water barrel with handle and cover for 20 squid to go with ma waste master I bought for a tenner again immaculate. The seller also had a Satellite dish including stand and electronic sat finder etc all enclosed in a case again absolutely immaculate for 30 squid ! With the onset of Freeview and digital reception is it worth my while purchasing it I ask myself ? The Sat stand alone is a "belter". Are they worth the hassle ? I can not let a bargain pass me bye but I'm thinking this Satellite  will most probably end up being clutter ... I'm in a squander....  :rolleyes:

GAS ... 

Setting up the stand alone dish is very easy once you have mastered it.  If you have Sky at home you cna take it along to the caravan with you.  If not then with many modern 12/240v TVs you can connect the cabling straight to the TV.  If not use a Freeview box.

• Thanks 1

Go for it - some areas/sites have poor or no terrestrial TV reception but satellite always works when moveable on a tripod.

You will though need to get a receiver, either Freesat, new or used, or an out of contract Sky box, used only.

• Thanks 1

Depends on your needs/wants:

1) Exactly what  is being offered.  If dish has a lnb suitable for a twin tuner PVR if you want one to record, etc.,.  Cost of a different lnb, if needed.

$ky/freesat receivers have special EPG, auto tuning updates and logical channel numbers.  Generic sat receivers do not and can be a pain to tune in then program in a <sensible to you> channel list that then need updating to the regular tuning moves made by the broadcasters.

2) How good your current terrestrial aerial system is and how often you visit locations where terrestrial reception is very poor.

Not forgetting that trees/bushes and buildings can obscure the satellite location.

I have both freesat and freeview PVRs.  In most recent trips I've just gone with the Freeview (directional Status 530 aerial) and not bothered with satellite.  As my main home recorder is freesat and old enough, I can copy recordings off it for viewing via the Freeview recorder.

My sat install consists of a $ky dish, quad lnb and an old camera tripod to hold it up.  Mostly from bits I already had.

The £30 bargain will only be a bargain if you will regularly use it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Grumpy Auld Smeesh said:

After giving up and selling the lot and now returned to the caravan brethren have been purchasing most of my kit second hand. Just yesterday bought a immaculate water barrel with handle and cover for 20 squid to go with ma waste master I bought for a tenner again immaculate. The seller also had a Satellite dish including stand and electronic sat finder etc all enclosed in a case again absolutely immaculate for 30 squid ! With the onset of Freeview and digital reception is it worth my while purchasing it I ask myself ? The Sat stand alone is a "belter". Are they worth the hassle ? I can not let a bargain pass me bye but I'm thinking this Satellite  will most probably end up being clutter ... I'm in a squander....  :rolleyes:

GAS ... 

If you do not mind the third rate tv pumped out by BBC Ireland terrestrial tv will be fine on Kintyre.

The Wife and I like BBC Scotland radio and she likes BBC Scotland TV so the satellite dish is a must on the west coast of Kintyre.

£30 is a bargain-unless it’s a toy plastic dish in a suitcase they are useless on Kintyre you need a metal dish £26 for a Sky dish on eBay.

• Thanks 1

I use a £26 sky dish 60 cm just up the road from Machrihanish(you could get away with 40cm) using a “Sky” quad LNB£15 coupled to a Humax twin tuner box with 500 gb  hard disc £75-£120 using twin coax cable.

The dish is mounted on a Satgear tripod£20.

I use an SF500 satfinder preset to find ONLY the 28.2 “Sky” series of satellites( one behind other).

Using this set up I can find the satellite and get a picture in under a minute-after 10-15 minutes setting up cables tripod and dish.

The Humax box allows recording two channels or watching one recording another.

Forgot the tripod so for 3 weeks dish mounted on 2nd hand shovel handle£1 supported by plant support stake lashed by bootlace.

• Thanks 1

You need to get your head around the difference between FreeVIEW and FreeSAT.

Freeview is terrestrial based so only available in U.K.

Freesat is satellite based so is available over a lot of Europe.

Andy

• Thanks 1

Just now, Mr Plodd said:

You need to get your head around the difference between FreeVIEW and FreeSAT.

Freeview is terrestrial based so only available in U.K.

Freesat is satellite based so is available over a lot of Europe.

Andy

The massive plus on free sat is the very easy to use Electronic Programme Guide.

The Humax is reckoned to make the best use of the EPG.

eg you can put all your regional BBC programmes in favourites then no looking through all the regional variations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1