Sign in to follow this  
David 38

Replacement compact camera advice.

Been reading the current subject on phone cameras which as lead into compact cameras.

Last  week my Canon SX710HS died on holiday shortly after I fell into the sea it did take a few shots so I thought it had been saved by being in a case but next morning it was dead no life at all.

The above article amongst others recommends the Canon Powershot G5X but the £600 price tag puts me off !

Paid nothing like that for this dead one think I paid £100+ but under £200 in Currys sale when it was a clearance item.

Any help please for replacement in the under £200 price again?  

Thanks.

Hi David, the last couple of compact cameras I have bought have been from the Official Panasonic EBay store ( just google it) they currently have the LUMIX TZ-70 for £130, versus  £220 elsewhere. Very please with ours, Mark

Your old camera has a 20mp 1/2.3” sensor, if you are happy with the image quality then look for cameras that has the same specification.

If you are happy with Canon as a make stick with that as the controls will be very similar.

Pretty much every established name in the camera market produces suitable, decent quality cameras in this price range.

You could even go for waterproof!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ricoh-WG-50-Waterproof-Digital-Compact/dp/B071ZGGMGP/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=waterproof+digital+compact+camera&qid=1558173676&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

What I liked about the Canon G5x recommendation was the view finder that was mentioned and it probably being better in poor lighting than what I have now, of course the lower priced range may well have improved over the few years.

1 hour ago, David 38 said:

What I liked about the Canon G5x recommendation was the view finder that was mentioned and it probably being better in poor lighting than what I have now, of course the lower priced range may well have improved over the few years.

I have just bought the Canon G5x and can say that I am very impressed.

It is a lot of money, most  of which goes on the 1” sensor,  so unless you want A2 prints is a lot to pay.

Also your camera had a super zoom of a 35mm eq of 25 - 750mm, the Canon. G5x is an optical 35mm eq of 24 -100mm with a digital zoom of the same again so about 200 - 250mm, that’s a long way short of the 750mm you are used to.

The PowerShot SX740 HS and the Panasonic Lumix DC-TZ95 are more in line with your old camera but with a viewfinder, price wise they are over £300

Thanks all of you for the good advice I'm getting.

The Canon SX720 looks like the current one to my SX710 and can be had from Currys at £199 as a kit with camera and travel kit (bag and Tripod)

The Panasonic TZ-70 mentiond from the refurbished Ebay site is now £149.

Also on that site is the TZ-80 at £149 as well.

So it might well be one of these 3 I end up with.

Seems the brand new TZ  from Currys etc could be 70 at £219 and 80 at £249.

The Outlet Negative and Neutral comments do give a bit of concern and suggest the goods not examined and tested before dispatch although the Seller does appear to refund with no bother. 

As I said before the view finder seems to be an improvement on the TZ s.

Will the performance in artificial light be about the same on all three?  My Canon SX710 does let me down in stage lighting conditions with movement and lower lighting level, best way to describe location is like a music venue.

image.thumb.png.e62757e00226d5ae281383948345ed86.png

Not taken by me but by the official photographer with first class camera.

3 minutes ago, ericfield said:

Once you’ve decided on the model you want, check out the best retail price on this website...

https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/

Thanks, that confirms the prices of the 3 brand new ones I quoted so on the right track.

21 minutes ago, David 38 said:

As I said before the view finder seems to be an improvement on the TZ s.

I have always had cameras with viewfinders but, I have just had a week in Venice and other than in very bright sun light I have been able to use the tilt and turn LCD screen, which not many compacts have, many have one that flips up or down.

Good luck in your search!

I have a Sony Cybershot HX90V (£299), which we bought a couple of years ago and it's a superb little camera. Apart from a decent zoom, it has a view finder, flip up screen, GPS tagging, manual function, and can connect to your phone/PC via wi-fi. The images are good quality and it also has a HD function.  I've been a Canon man all my life, but this little Sony is good, certainly worth looking at.

I find to enter DPI competitions I need to reduce size of image to between 1 and 2 Mb so my 10 Mb and 16 Mb cameras are ample, in fact today Sony do a range of cameras with up to 64 Mb but most the professorial people use the lowest Mb version as this model will work with lower light levels.

So above 4 Mb is OK for most use, only if your producing wall paper for local doctors surgery walls would you need one of the high Mpixal models.

So there are two things to look for, the optical zoom and if you have access to the RAW image.

And unless you have software to use RAW images then that does not help. Personally I want RAW images.

A Jpeg is made by the camera software and it decides how to change the RAW into Jpeg, in the main it works well, but when it goes wrong, one can often recover an image from RAW but not from Jpeg, plus when you require a high dynamic range with RAW you can get away with 2 EV between each image, with Jpeg more like 0.5 EV.

I also like a viewfinder as then holding camera to head so more stable than holding at arms length.

Having said all that, I use a Lidi traffic cam for pictures as it has such a wide angle lens, also small so wandering through sensitive places no one seems to mind.

Seems daft but take a picture with a helmet traffic cam no one says a word, get out a DSLR and one has objections, both are easy to see so not a case of not seen the phone camera taking picture.

Well thanks for the advice been and looked at the ones mentioned over the weekend and without your help it is just so complex.

I choose Panasonic Lumix and then between the TZ80 and TZ90 and was a hard choice between these two and finally choose the TZ90 at £299+ but then this morning spotted the TZ93 at John Lewis feel sure its same camera c/w with case and second battery.  JL give double the warranty to other people of 2 years. so just ordered and will be delivered tomorrow.  (£6.95)   

https://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-lumix-dc-tz93-super-zoom-digital-camera-4k-ultra-hd-20-3mp-30x-optical-zoom-wi-fi-evf-3-inch-lcd-tiltable-touch-screen-silver-with-case-additional-battery-kit/p3254411?searchTerm=TZ93

As the batteries can only be charged when in the camera I will look out for a mains charger so one can be charged whilst a fully charged one in use in camera.  So now to look on Ebay/Amazon for a charger for DMW-BLG10E battery should be a lot cheaper than one with Panasonic name on it.

31 minutes ago, David 38 said:

charger for DMW-BLG10E battery

David, I got an 'Expro' charger from Amazon. It's compatible with the battery in my TZ-100, cost about a tenner and has worked with no problems nearly 3 years now. There'll be an equivalent to suit your battery (and pocket!). 

21 minutes ago, Mickyjb said:

David, I got an 'Expro' charger from Amazon. It's compatible with the battery in my TZ-100, cost about a tenner and has worked with no problems nearly 3 years now. There'll be an equivalent to suit your battery (and pocket!). 

+1 for Expro batteries, they have the chip that integrates with the camera software to show battery life etc

I have used them in my Canon eos 750D, my Panasonic DMC 7G, and I have just bought one for my new Canon Powershot G5x

If anyone is interested I have an Expro DMW-BLC12 out of the Panasonic going cheep to a good home.

According to the spec sheet it fits Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5, DMC-G6, DMC-G7, DMC-G70, DMC-GH2, DMC-GX8, DMC-FZ200, DMC-FZ330, DMC-FZ1000

2 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

+1 for Expro batteries,....

It is a mains charger I'm posting about I'm getting two genuine Lumix ones but I'm sure your battery advice is very good.

28 minutes ago, David 38 said:

It is a mains charger I'm posting about I'm getting two genuine Lumix ones but I'm sure your battery advice is very good.

The genuine Lumix batteries are very expensive compared to the Expro ones.

Amazon has loads of chargers -  https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=charger+for+DMW-BLG10E+battery&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Sign in to follow this