Sign in to follow this  
James Donald

Motor movers?

Hi , I have a Pegasus Rimini single axle now with motor movers which is extremely manoeuvrable. If I get a newer model with Twin axles do you have to have 4 motor movers or will two do a reasonable job  and with four are they just as good as a single axle one ( within reason ) . Not only the expense but also weight.

48 minutes ago, James Donald said:

Hi , I have a Pegasus Rimini single axle now with motor movers which is extremely manoeuvrable. If I get a newer model with Twin axles do you have to have 4 motor movers or will two do a reasonable job  and with four are they just as good as a single axle one ( within reason ) . Not only the expense but also weight.

There was a recent topic on the forum where your question was discussed.

Yes see DeeTee's link, a few of us chipped in to that topic.

I would add to the question of 2WD v 4WD out of interest, that when one of the movers on my old Reich 4WD packed up, I removed it and tried to manage with just the one, so a 2WD on a twin axle weighing 2000kg.

Although the unit had enough power to do the job short term in the dry, as soon as the tyres were wet there was not enough grip to move it up the slightest slope or turn it as the rollers would just slip against the rubber.

Maybe would have worked had my TA been lighter.

Back to a new Reich 4WD now.

Posted (edited)

I have just changed from a single to twin axle caravan and had my mover swapped over.  It’s a Powrtouch Evolution Manual.  As I owned a “single axle mover” I had to purchase a new control unit designed for a twin axle - but the motors etc are the same.  The twin axle Powrtouch evolution uses the same motors as the single axle model.

There is no doubt that there is a big difference in manoeuvrability but it really depends on your situation as to whether it will cause you a problem or not.  I keep my caravan in a storage compound and most of the time don’t need to use the mover there.  Even if I did there would be no need to do any tight turns.  If however you keep your caravan at home and have to navigate a curved drive or spin it around then it might be a challenge.

If using the mover on site then it can just take a little longer to manoeuvre onto the pitch.  It turns like the shape of a 50 pence piece.  You can apply a little force against the side of the caravan to help it move.  Depending on whether the mover is fitted to the front or rear wheels you can either raise or lower the jockey wheel to take the weight off the wheels where the mover is not engaged.

My main concern with a quad mover was not so much the additional cost but the additional payload.  It would take another 30kg off our payload allowance.  We have only had the twin axle since Easter and used it a few times.  I am going to see how it works out the rest of this year but based on my experience so far I think I would stay with the twin rather than upgrade to a quad.

I contacted Powrtouch about the swap and they commented that many of their customers do the same as me or if buying a twin axle mover also opt for the twin model initially.  I am not sure about other makes but with Powrtouch you can just add the additional set of motors later on if you decide to upgrade from twin—>quad.   If you plan to buy a Powrtouch mover it would be worth you calling or emailing them, they were really helpful.

Hope that helps.

Mark.

Edited by Markt1891
  • Like 1

Yes 4WD's eat into your payload bigtime. 

Mine weighs in at about 63kg and with a lot of recent twin axles offering an off the shelf payload of circa 160kg, its a fair chunk gone to begin with.

I had my caravan uprated by 100kg when I ordered it as I knew about the weight downside to 4WD's.

34 minutes ago, Markt1891 said:

I have just changed from a single to twin axle caravan and had my mover swapped over.  It’s a Powrtouch Evolution Manual.  As I owned a “single axle mover” I had to purchase a new control unit designed for a twin axle - but the motors etc are the same.  The twin axle Powrtouch evolution uses the same motors as the single axle model.

There is no doubt that there is a big difference in manoeuvrability but it really depends on your situation as to whether it will cause you a problem or not.  I keep my caravan in a storage compound and most of the time don’t need to use the mover there.  Even if I did there would be no need to do any tight turns.  If however you keep your caravan at home and have to navigate a curved drive or spin it around then it might be a challenge.

If using the mover on site then it can just take a little longer to manoeuvre onto the pitch.  It turns like the shape of a 50 pence piece.  You can apply a little force against the side of the caravan to help it move.  Depending on whether the mover is fitted to the front or rear wheels you can either raise or lower the jockey wheel to take the weight off the wheels where the mover is not engaged.

My main concern with a quad mover was not so much the additional cost but the additional payload.  It would take another 30kg off our payload allowance.  We have only had the twin axle since Easter and used it a few times.  I am going to see how it works out the rest of this year but based on my experience so far I think I would stay with the twin rather than upgrade to a quad.

I contacted Powrtouch about the swap and they commented that many of their customers do the same as me or if buying a twin axle mover also opt for the twin model initially.  I am not sure about other makes but with Powrtouch you can just add the additional set of motors later on if you decide to upgrade from twin—>quad.   If you plan to buy a Powrtouch mover it would be worth you calling or emailing them, they were really helpful.

Hope that helps.

Mark.

Just out of interest if you weren't adding the extra set of rollers why did you need a new control box? Why couldn't the old one still have worked??

4 minutes ago, Jiffy176 said:

Just out of interest if you weren't adding the extra set of rollers why did you need a new control box? Why couldn't the old one still have worked??

When you turn a caravan with a single axle mover only one wheel is driven with the other one stopped.  This enables the caravan to spin on the spot.  It’s possible as the caravan only has one wheel on the ground either side.

That isn’t possible with a twin as the tyres will scrub.  So a twin axle mover control unit drives the outside wheel of the turning circle whilst pulsing or using half speed for the inner wheel.  Hope that makes sense...

I believe some manufacturers use a single control unit with a switch to change between single axle and twin axle mode.  Powrtouch use different control units.

Mark.

To pivot about its axis or spin on the spot my PowrTouch mover, on a single axle caravan, requires one wheel to be driven forwards whilst the opposite wheel driven in reverse-or backwards.

1 hour ago, DeeTee said:

To pivot about its axis or spin on the spot my PowrTouch mover, on a single axle caravan, requires one wheel to be driven forwards whilst the opposite wheel driven in reverse-or backwards.

Just like a tank (in a former life I was a tank mechanic) :D

14 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Just like a tank (in a former life I was a tank mechanic) :D

Bet that was quite ‘ Challenger’ing ,  😎😎😄

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Markt1891 said:

When you turn a caravan with a single axle mover only one wheel is driven with the other one stopped.  This enables the caravan to spin on the spot.  It’s possible as the caravan only has one wheel on the ground either side.

That isn’t possible with a twin as the tyres will scrub.  So a twin axle mover control unit drives the outside wheel of the turning circle whilst pulsing or using half speed for the inner wheel.  Hope that makes sense...

I believe some manufacturers use a single control unit with a switch to change between single axle and twin axle mode.  Powrtouch use different control units.

Mark.

Agree with all that but would  just add that pressing opposites ( e.g. Fwd L and Rearward R) at the same time on the controller, makes the inner wheels lock up which gives a much tighter circle.

3 hours ago, SamD said:

Agree with all that but would  just add that pressing opposites ( e.g. Fwd L and Rearward R) at the same time on the controller, makes the inner wheels lock up which gives a much tighter circle.

How does it know whether you are trying to turn forwards or backwards.  Pressing the opposite buttons will tell it to go clockwise or anticlockwise but the results will be quite different, depending on which wheels it decides are on the inside.

In any case, if it locks one set of wheels, you might just as well press only one button.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DACS said:

How does it know whether you are trying to turn forwards or backwards.  Pressing the opposite buttons will tell it to go clockwise or anticlockwise but the results will be quite different, depending on which wheels it decides are on the inside.

In any case, if it locks one set of wheels, you might just as well press only one button.

It doesn't decide which wheels are on the inside, you do, and then press the appropriate buttons.  It doesn't lock one wheel, one turns forward and the other backwards. See the image of the controller https://www.powrtouch.com/powrtouch-spares-shop/previous-generation-mover-spares/model-3-classic-spares/single-axle-cdfmc-handset-model-3-classic.html

Edited by Richard080561

17 minutes ago, Richard080561 said:

It doesn't decide which wheels are on the inside, you do, and then press the appropriate buttons.  It doesn't lock one wheel, one turns forward and the other backwards. See the image of the controller https://www.powrtouch.com/powrtouch-spares-shop/previous-generation-mover-spares/model-3-classic-spares/single-axle-cdfmc-handset-model-3-classic.html

That's just like mine ( 'ow much :o, I'd best take care of it) I can confirm that when the left forward and right backwards buttons or vice versa, are pressed at the same time my 'van does a very dainty pirouette. It's only got one axle though.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Markt1891 said:

Hope that helps.

Mark.

So you havent had to climb up a dropped kerb yet or on uneven ground where you have little / no traction on the driven wheels?

4 hours ago, DACS said:

Of course, you press first the direction arrow needed then press the opposite one and the pressing of the opposite button locks those wheels i.e. the inside set.  I can assure you that locked inside wheels produce a much tighter circle than those inside wheels pulsing when pressing a single button only.  Don't knock it until you have tried it!

20 minutes ago, SamD said:

Of course, you press first the direction arrow needed then press the opposite one and the pressing of the opposite button locks those wheels i.e. the inside set.  I can assure you that locked inside wheels produce a much tighter circle than those inside wheels pulsing when pressing a single button only.  Don't knock it until you have tried it!

I'm pretty sure the opposite wheel isn't locked. One turns forward and the other backwards, depending which buttons you press. As DACS said, how would it know which wheel to lock?

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Richard080561 said:

I'm pretty sure the opposite wheel isn't locked. One turns forward and the other backwards, depending which buttons you press. As DACS said, how would it know which wheel to lock?

It does know which wheel to lock.

If, for example, you want to reverse sharp to the right, you press reverse left wheel, that then starts moving, if you then press (at the same time) forward right, it locks the right wheel to give a very sharp turn.

If you were to let go forward right, the right wheel would start to move backwards at a much slower rate than the left, so giving a gradual turn. 

Which wheel it locks depends on the order of pressing the buttons.

This is my experience with a Powr Touch 4wd mover, I believe single movers may turn the opposite wheel rather than locking it, it would explain why the controllers are different

11 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

So you havent had to climb up a dropped kerb yet or on uneven ground where you have little / no traction on the driven wheels?

The sales people never tell you about that little problem.

My neighbour had a twin axle van with single movers, first time home ended up blocking the street for ages while he ran around knocking on doors looking for people to help push it up the kerb.

Edited by 1164 County

28 minutes ago, 1164 County said:

The sales people never tell you about that little problem.

My neighbour had a twin axle van with single movers, first time home ended up blocking the street for ages while he ran around knocking on doors looking for people to help push it up the kerb.

I cant believe people fall for it to be honest and then there are some that even recommend this route which clearly just cannot work unless you're permanently on a flat surface. I saw one a while back, big twin axle, wound the jockey wheel to full extent in order to lift the forward axle set up and then off he went, it was fine until he got on the pebbled surface, the jockey wheel sunk in and the caravan stopped. The wouldbe mover pilot then tried to move forwards and the jockey wheel tube folded. We gave him a hand to push into place and a mobile engineer came out 2 days later, it took him 4 hours to change the jockey wheel assembly because the tube had collapsed he had to grind it out etc, nightmare.
If you've got a twin axle you need AWD mover for sure, if you manage with 2 wheel drive you're lucky but that out of level surface is waiting for you!

On 18/05/2019 at 05:56, James Donald said:

2WD v 4WD, forget the manufacturer in this video, not about that, look at manouvreability and specifically about 2 minutes into the vid.

10 hours ago, Richard080561 said:

You are referring to single axle movers.  My response was clearly about twin - read 1164 County reply where he has gone into more (correct) detail.  What I and County have posted are just precis of the manual which tells you how to lock the inner wheel set for a much tighter circle.

Posted (edited)

I use a single mover on a twin and have done for the last 10 years. 

To get it up the curb into my driveway which  is not dropped  i use a pair off small caravan ramps. 

As for when on site, i reverse then use the movers to tweak the caravan into position 

Mike 

Edited by outnumbered

24 minutes ago, outnumbered said:

I use a single mover on a twin and have done for the last 10 years. 

To get it up the curb into my driveway which  is not dropped  i use a pair off small caravan ramps. 

As for when on site, i reverse then use the movers to tweak the caravan into position 

Mike 

Which axle is driven front or rear?

50 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Which axle is driven front or rear?

Rear

4 minutes ago, outnumbered said:

So as soon as the front wheel goes up an obstruction (as per the video above) youre stuck.