Sign in to follow this  
Crispin

Caravan For Hire - 2012 6 Berth Lunar Quasar

Hi all, not sure where the most appropriate forum category is for this topic, we don't see much offers to hire touring caravans for some reason.

Just wanted to share that we are hiring our 2012 Lunar Quasar 6 berth touring caravan,

Thanks

Crispin

Admin Comment

This is a commercial venture and as such the advertising content has been removed.

If you wish to apply for Trade status to allow you to promote your venture on CT then please read the Trade Member T&C’s for details.

As you are using your van as a business I hope that you have the necessary legal certificates for the gas and electric installations.

The gas MUST be certified by a Gas Safe Registered engineer and the Electric by a fully qualified 18th edition electrical engineer and the certificates MUST be displayed in the van.

• Like 1

Secondly as a landlord if they take a deposit it has to be protected.  The advert was posted on another forum and someone remarked that it would be cheaper to use a AirBnb in the area plus at 7 years old it is a very basic caravan and it seems you have to bring your own linen and towels making not such good value?

If you intend on towing it I would imagen your tow vehicle has to insured for business too

3 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Secondly as a landlord if they take a deposit it has to be protected.  The advert was posted on another forum and someone remarked that it would be cheaper to use a AirBnb in the area plus at 7 years old it is a very basic caravan and it seems you have to bring your own linen and towels making not such good value?

what does a later van of equal price and size have that the one for hire does not?

7 years does not strike me that a caravan of that age should be basic.

macafee2

• Like 1

£40 per night plus £1 per mile towing fee or £20 per night on it's home site didn't sound attractive to me.   That's at least £420 per week.      In the past, out of high season, we've rented lovely Lakeland cottages for less.

18 hours ago, macafee2 said:

what does a later van of equal price and size have that the one for hire does not?

7 years does not strike me that a caravan of that age should be basic.

macafee2

I think it is already a second hand caravan that is being advertised for rent so will already have some battle scars so for £40 a night it is rather expensive considering that you still have to fetch water, take water away and empty the cassette.  An AirBnB you would have water and no need to get rid of waste water or empty a cassette and the AirBnB could cost less, the same or a bit more.

Posted (edited)
On 18/05/2019 at 10:01, Brecon said:

As you are using your van as a business I hope that you have the necessary legal certificates for the gas and electric installations.

The gas MUST be certified by a Gas Safe Registered engineer and the Electric by a fully qualified 18th edition electrical engineer and the certificates MUST be displayed in the van.

Yes ALL in place thanks

On 18/05/2019 at 11:22, Durbanite said:

I replied to that other poster to say that we provide linen, that if Airbnb was somebody else's preference that they should book that sort of accommodation, &  if £40/night for a 2012 6 berth caravan @ a site of your choosing with a full size awning, TV, stereo, microwave, kettle, toaster, oven, grill, heating, additional satellite tents, all utensils, cutlery, fridge, pots/pans, outdoor tables/chairs, BBQ, with everything set-up, air-conditioning, awning set up, etc. then the very best of luck finding that sort of value elsewhere.

23 hours ago, Durbanite said:

I think it is already a second hand caravan that is being advertised for rent so will already have some battle scars so for £40 a night it is rather expensive considering that you still have to fetch water, take water away and empty the cassette.  An AirBnB you would have water and no need to get rid of waste water or empty a cassette and the AirBnB could cost less, the same or a bit more.

There's some real negativity around on here....? There's no need for the trolling of a genuinely good value offer, calling a 7 year old excellent condition, luxury 6 berth caravan with all mod cons & extras "basic", "old" and "too expensive", nice, much appreciated.

4.jpg

10.jpg

6.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by Crispin
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Crispin said:

There's some real negativity around on here....? There's no need for the trolling of a genuinely good value offer.

No one is trolling you, clearly you think your costs are good value, others beg to differ.

The only way to find out is to come back in 6,9,12 months and let us know how you got on.

II have 4 bookings after listing it about 5 weeks ago, go to the listing link & look at 4 days over next weekend as one example in the booking window, they are greyed out because it's booked, same in July x2, & August, I was not here asking if people thought I had a valid business proposition, or seeking advice as to what it was worth to help price setting, I was sharing the details.

Admin Comment

Post edited to remove promotional comments.

You cannot promote your business on CT without Trade status, as you we’re informed in your first post.

There are legitimate,registered and fully insured Caravan Hire businesses out there that offer hiring as a short term experience for a prospective caravanner wanting to dip his/her toes in the water.

This can often save a massive bump to earth and substantial expense saved by buying and then moving it on a potentially huge loss when the early aspiration are not realised.

Best of luck mate hiring out that lovely van-----you don't know what state you will get it back in.

This can be problematic if you have back to back hires, and little time to rectify defects.

I'm not being negative, just speaking from experience, as I used to hire out three touring vans---nightmare if things go wrong.  eg:- some kid spilt milk on upholstery !!!! Another clown tore a rear exterior panel which was a dealer repair job.

IMHO, this undertaking is only for the stout hearted.

AWanderingLancastrian: Hi, the hiring company (who I won't mention as I keep getting told off by Admin for promotional comments), are a legitimate, registered and fully insured Caravan Hire business. They are one, if not the, biggest in the UK.

blondchaser: thanks, the above (not) mentioned company take a £1000 returnable deposit, and provide pre & post hire check-lists for the hirer & owner to run through right around the caravan, just as you would with hiring any vehicle. The onus is on the hirer to have any evidence of damage itemised so that it is not reported post hire.

Following hire, anything I believe is damaged in any way, smells funny, etc. I raise with the hirer, if we don't agree, the company will reimburse myself unless it was on the itemised pre-inspection check-list.

I might be a bit OCD too, but I've photographed & catalogued every square inch of the "wear & tear" areas of the caravan, along whith detailed photographs of everything else, & have colour copies printed just like a brochure ready for the hirer to sign as representative of the condition at the time of the hire.... 

I take your point things could still go wrong, but I only made the purchase of the caravan as an investment, & see it as a hire car, not as my pride & joy, i.e. I have no emotional attachment whatsoever to the van or it's contents, & I think this is what most people struggle with (detaching themselves).

Cheers

Crispin

3 hours ago, Crispin said:

Hi, the hiring company (who I won't mention as I keep getting told off by Admin for promotional comments), are a legitimate, registered and fully insured Caravan Hire business. They are one, if not the, biggest in the UK.

Crispin,

There is only one reason we have responded the way we have, and that is simply because you have not complied with the terms of forum membership that you agreed to when joining this forum. To make this abundantly clear please read the following paragraph shown in the forum guidelines,"Commercial Content:

There shall be no commercial content within an avatar or personal signature without prior permission from Admin. Caravan Talk reserve the right to include, or permit the inclusion of, limited commercial content anywhere on any forum it owns however commercial companies may not promote their own business without first submitting their contact details and registering as a trade member with Caravan Talk."

We are more than happy to allow, even support, your venture providing you stay within the terms of forum membership. If you wish to apply for trade membership you may do so by following this link.

Admin.

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 09:16, Durbanite said:

sorry but your reply goes no where near advising why its basic or telling me what it does not have that a new van would have. You said "...plus at 7 years old it is a very basic caravan", so what does it not have?

macafee2

Off the top of my head, it wouldn't originally have had LED's all round, though they may have been retro fitted. Certainly Lexon and Clubman Lunar's have different upholstery fabrics to Quasar's and more detailed lighting schemes. And IIRC Clubman have offside exterior lighting and blue lit exterior handles. 2012 Quasars also lacked any interior hooks. I don't know why, but Lunar added them the following year. Quasars don't have Alde 'wet' heating, whereas the higher specs do and they're also fitted with automatic fuel switching fridges, Quasar's aren't. Standard Quasar's didn't have ATC, though dealer specials often did. And I have an inkling that Lexon and Clubman models were built using a wider bodyshell than Quasar.

Without reference to brochures etc I think that's a pretty good effort.