Sign in to follow this  
Frances

Problem feeding an awning through the rail

Does anyone have trouble feeding a kampa awning on to Bailey unicorn seville caravan please 

Hi Frances

This isn't just a Bailey problem. Quite  often there is a bit of sealer mastic in the rail that needs clearing.

But then it still can be a struggle. I was shown a trick using waterproofing spray on the groove in the rail. It acts as a lubricant and helps a good bit. 

52 minutes ago, Gd485 said:

Hi Frances

This isn't just a Bailey problem. Quite  often there is a bit of sealer mastic in the rail that needs clearing.

But then it still can be a struggle. I was shown a trick using waterproofing spray on the groove in the rail. It acts as a lubricant and helps a good bit. 

Sealant found in our new van at the section joint, quickly resolved by scraping it out with a strong piece of plastic. Our Kampa runs smoothly through track now..

I had the same on my new Coachman. 

Rather than struggle trying to get the awning to slide as a test I used the draft skirt, much easier. 

I only put up my full awning once each year - but then it's there for four months.   I keep an aerosol of Asda brand furniture polish in the locker and each year I put a quick spray every couple of feet along the awning channel.   Because of the silicone, the awning cord slips along easily.   A can lasts for years.   The last one was less than a quid.

Posted (edited)

You may have a blockage of some kind. We bought a 2010 Bailey pegasus 462 at the end of last year. It's also an Alutec so the rail should be similar to yours I would have thought. We haven't used it yet due to a bereavement in our family but decided to fit our new Kampa airpro grande 390 for a practice run before going away. I cleaned the rail out with an awning rail brush first and then sprayed it with a silicone spray. We used a Kampa awning pulley, makes it very easy, to assist feeding the awning in. The whole exercise took about 10 minutes including inflation with an electric pump, but no pegging out. As Gd485 has suggested try threading the draft skirt to check for obstructions.  

John

Edited by johntog

On the two occasions that we have had anew caravan I have taken a short piece of draft skirt to check all the channels were free during the handover process!

My Bailey Pursuit 1918 is plastic and my Kampa sailed through it with no lubricant or cleaning until the joint middle top which was completely blocked with sealant.

The awning Channel needs cleaning, I do it twice a year and I use an old piece of awning skirt that I have cut to about a metre in length and attached a length of guy line, I then spray Pledge and pull the awning skirt through. The awning slides through as if you were on The Cresta Run at St. Moritz !!

Posted (edited)

I've used the "proper" silicon spray like this:

Not cheap but works brilliantly (as long as the rail isn't blocked of course).

It's also very useful for lubricating water inlet O rings, toilet seals etc.

s-l640.jpg

Edited by iansoady