sky have told me if i go to sky q then it wont work in our caravan...regardless of changing lnb to a q lnb...can anyone sonfirm that it will or wont work away from home and any need to take the mini box as he said they have to stay paired thanks

I don't use Sky Q but members on here that do .

Dave

thanks dave waitin for those exact people to get back to me...Sky givin me big BS**t and the kit i can get is only 34 quid...spoken to seller on ebay and hes sold hundreds... BUT i also have issues in the house if i go Q...mainly cost for multi roo beyond 1st mini box( free...extra ones for aditional TVs £99....Was happy with what ive got BUT discounts finished and subs gone up by £20 per month....why couldnt they just leave things alone :(

‘Cos they are losing customers wholesale due to the ever increasing subscription costs and need to find a way of screwing current customers for even more money to plug the hole! 

I ceased using any form of Sky many years ago, I don’t miss it in the slightest, but that’s me. Freesat does all I want  AND for very little outlay I have cobbled together a travelling Freesat set up that works just fine (with NO subscription cost) 

Andy

Posted (edited)

Thanks Andy....got freeview built in to van TV so i just put up an aerial...BUT wife wants Sky so she can record prior to leaving home (not worried bout recording while away) but if push came to shove could record by USB on TV,granted,cant watch one record another chanell> AND alot of sites we use have Freeview on Turrets..just not all the chanells we "could " if we use Sky

I could download anything, and i mean anything,(on to usb stick or terra bytes of drives) and prob more than sky can offer, but wife bit of technophobe so have to keep it simple. Ive 30yrs PC experience under my belt in many shapes and forms
I could also stream..signal willing off many web sites i use at home but why should i use my 140gb allowance with vodaphone....just Sky being KNOBS

Looked at Freesat but more money out after basic subscription

Edited by cher129
added

Can't vouch for this but picked it up on another forum last year when I was thinking of doing it, I didn't and still just use Sky HD in mine.

The question was asked as to whether Q would work in a caravan without an internet connection and one reply was.....20190517_193545.thumb.jpg.e16a7a92f2fde25a43db08a9712fc0ae.jpg

2 hours ago, cher129 said:

Thanks Andy....got freeview built in to van

Looked at Freesat but more money out after basic subscription

FreeSAT is what it says, free! NO subscription to pay. 

I have an old Humax PVR box (that gets loaded up over the year at home as it’s basically a spare) an ex Sky dish and LNB, a signal meter off eBay for a fiver, a cheap eBay tripod for the dish (about a tenner) and a length of (half a) shotgun cable.

Cheap as chips, works just fine until about halfway down France, then the signal drops off after which we can watch what’s been previously loaded. 

Andy

sorry GRIFF couldnt reply direct (forum changed) But BLOODY HELL just the info i was looking for THANKS...now to beat Sky donw to a sensible price...on 31 days notice to cancal so hoping theyll ring with a retention offer....Still will have to use standard sky dish instead of my Multimo but cant have it all my way (glad to c ur still about nigel129)

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Can't vouch for this but picked it up on another forum last year when I was thinking of doing it, I didn't and still just use Sky HD in mine.

The question was asked as to whether Q would work in a caravan without an internet connection and one reply was.....20190517_193545.thumb.jpg.e16a7a92f2fde25a43db08a9712fc0ae.jpg

9 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

FreeSAT is what it says, free! NO subscription to pay. 

I have an old Humax PVR box (that gets loaded up over the year at home as it’s basically a spare) an ex Sky dish and LNB, a signal meter off eBay for a fiver, a cheap eBay tripod for the dish (about a tenner) and a length of (half a) shotgun cable.

Cheap as chips, works just fine until about halfway down France, then the signal drops off after which we can watch what’s been previously loaded. 

Andy

I though ther were extra packages with freesat if u wanted movies etc ?

I think you might need to check it is not the new dish free internet systems they are going over to as it needs a internet for it to work . 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/5429938/sky-dish-satellite-new-uk-online-service-launch/

Dave

Soooo dependent on what sky retention offeri ....could go for SQ at home and take SQ box into the van....better lnb sat (mines a cheap needle type) finder gizmo....standard sky dish (PIA cause of size) BUT is Sky Q different shotgun cable....not that we record while in van ? Seen this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2019-Q-CARAVAN-SKY-SATELLITE-FULL-KIT-10M-TWIN-CABLE-FIXTURES/132735172996?hash=item1ee7a20184:g:GZwAAOSw8zNa9Z5p

obviously the wall fixings and maybe cable are superfluous

2018 that Dave and still not happened... not to say it wont....but if it does go internet reliant ...thats some data package ull need to connect in van

Is there any reason why a Sky Q box is required?  Admittedly you can  record more than two  programs, but if you did not have the time to watch them in the first place will you have time to watch 4 that were recorded at the same time?  :D

We have decided to stick with Sky+HD as we have a satellite dish on the caravan and the LNB probably cannot be changed.  Plus is that the subscription stays the same.  If you have the correct LNB you can watch Sky Q while away in the caravan as per another thread.

Lastly although we have the basic Sky entertainment package we still take our Firestick away with us to watch movies in the evenings.  No issue downloading if you have an unlimited data contract.

On 17/05/2019 at 22:23, cher129 said:

I though ther were extra packages with freesat if u wanted movies etc ?

There are, they are called Netflix, Now TV, Amazon prime etc and in order to receive them you need internet access!!

Standard definition TV uses about a Gigabyte an hour, so you really need unlimited data either via your mobile phone or a Mifi device (or Three for their “ Go Binge’ service before some smart Alec points that out) 

Just take your Sky box with you to view what’s been recorded onto it, DONT forget to leave the viewing card in or you will be unable to access what’s already on the hard drive.

andy

There is another solution that on first siight is very techy but the reality is very straight forward. PLEX is a media server that will run on many different devices, I run mine on an Intel NUC (a tiny computer) but it will also run on NAS box such as a drobo. Thats the heart of the system  akin to a Sky box. Plugged into the network is a 4 channel tuner receiving Freesat. The user devices can be TV's, ipads, phones, computers just about anything you want. Any device can set up recordings, any device can watch the content that has been recorded or stored on the disks. The plex server will also stream content down the net to you remotely and you can also export to disk drive for use whilst away. The system can see programs recorded on my Humax box which is another bonus. I can successfully get programs from Amazon TV and record them into the system and apart from Amazon Prime it's all free.

On 17/05/2019 at 21:38, CommanderDave said:

I think you might need to check it is not the new dish free internet systems they are going over to as it needs a internet for it to work .  https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/5429938/sky-dish-satellite-new-uk-online-service-launch/

Dave

That article is now well out of date now.

Posted (edited)

Ok guys I can CONFIRM sky Q works perfectly in the Caravan as long as you have a wide angle lnb. These are widely available via the internet and even Maxview do a Sky Q system. Don’t listen to the scare mongers! I can even pair my sky q card to my old sky hd  box and back again when I’m done if need be. 

Also so I can pair my mini box no problem in the caravan as long as I’m on an internet network ( mobile phone is enough) once paired it doesn’t need to connected to the internet to work

Hth 

Edited by Graham_The_Baker
  • Thanks 1

On 17/05/2019 at 16:44, cher129 said:

sky have told me if i go to sky q then it wont work in our caravan...regardless of changing lnb to a q lnb...can anyone sonfirm that it will or wont work away from home and any need to take the mini box as he said they have to stay paired thanks

It 100% works ,I have sky q multiroom in the caravan lol.

i have the connectors on push fit at home and van, so disconnect my router, main q box and the mini take to caravan and connect them via Ethernet.  I have all the leads set up under my bench ready so I pull up on site and plug in my extension lead. It took me less than 5 minutes last night to set up tripod, locate satellite and connect the boxes

yes u can have it in caravan with the 2 feeds and the correct lnb fitted but not the mini boxes as they require to link to internet to do checks and will dropout every few hours