Sign in to follow this  
Ewanm77

No power

Hi my caravan was parked up for a few months and I brought it home yesterday and plugged it in to the mains and nothing works. It's a Avondale custom Orion if that helps

"Nothing works" is a very wide issue!

First thing is to charge the battery off the caravan and see whether the 12V systems work.

Second check would be to see if there is 230V power to the sockets, and this should narrow your search.

Check the mains circuit breaker. It may have tripped,they can when you disconnect or reconnect.

Reset by pushing the switch  up. 

If you are not sure whee it is check handbook if you have it.

I changed the mains adapter and now I have power to the sockets but no lights. I put a spare battery in it and everything seems to work now. I still can't find the battery charger I've looked in and under everything

I am not familiar with your particular van, but the charger in most vans looks like a simple aluminium box, about the size and shape of a child's shoe box lid, frequently located close to the mains circuit breakers.

Our first caravan was a Avondale Pearle Argos 1991 iirc.   This van didn’t have a charger so the 12v and the mains electric were separate systems.  We just connected a normal battery charger.   

Posted (edited)

By parked up do you mean, kept in storage with no charging going on for the battery?  If this is the case then given your observations as to what happened when the spare battery was put in, there is a danger that the one in the van is now damaged and may not charge and hold its charge anymore. There is lots of advice on this site and the internet about care for leisure batteries in storage and which charging system to use for a leisure battery. (Not the same as a normal car battery). The advice ranges from disconnect and take it home to charge with an appropriate charger, to install a solar panel system which allows a caravan alarm system to have its power maintained. If considering the latter look for the advice on the use of portable solar panel systems and the observations on the size required. Few people recommend the lower wattage ones you see advertised from the posts I've read. We had a 40 watt folding panel that did the job for us. It needs a solar controller when the wattage gets useful but these portable folding panels generally come with a controller and crocodile clips. We found we could leave ours with the panel inside any window that faced southwards even though they are best in open air.

Hope this helps further research!!

Edited by SNJJNS
typo errors

It's been sitting in my friends forestry yard since last September. Is it possible that the battery would only charge when hooked up to the car? I can't find any charger anywhere inside.  I'm going to pick up a proper battery over the weekend were going to start using it a lot more while we do the renovations on out rental house

4 hours ago, fred said:

Our first caravan was a Avondale Pearle Argos 1991 iirc.   This van didn’t have a charger so the 12v and the mains electric were separate systems.  We just connected a normal battery charger.   

Did you get a caravan charger or just a normal battery charger?

If it’s been stood since last September with no form of charging then the battery will have gone totally flat. That usually means it’s beyond redemption and is VERY dead! 

The mains charger could well be integrated into the main power supply “box” in your caravan, check your handbook to see if yours has a charger or not as you need to know that BEFORE going any further. 

Andy

I'm going to move this to the Avondale section where pinned at the top is a selection of Avondale manuals.

On 17/05/2019 at 09:46, Ewanm77 said:

It's a Avondale custom Orion if that helps

If you can let us know the manufacture year I can probably dig out some information for you. If it is pre-1992 the manufacture date will be on a plate inside the caravan, over the entrance door. Look at the first two digits of the ten digit serial number (it will comprise, two number followed by "AV" and then a further six numbers). If 1992 or later, look at the 10th digit of the VIN etched on each window, and refer to the year code on our main website.

I agree with the replies so far that assume the original battery is flat and probably unrecoverable now. Once we know the age, then more specific advice can probably be offered.

Gordon

Update:

I've just looked at your introduction thread and the image you've added there is a 1992 or 1993 model, like the one below. The 1994 models did not have the light orange band along the side below the model name, or above the windows.

image.png   

1993 Avondale Perle Caravan

image.png

According to the brochure there is a mains inlet with RCD (cable supplied) and an onboard battery charger but none of the images I have show the mains control unit or charger model.

This is what's on the windows

IMG_20190524_161836.jpg

N= 92.  10th digit .

Dave

Thanks so it's getting on a bit then

Ewan,

Here's the same information as above for a 1992 model Orion

image.png

If you have not already done so, you can download a free 1992 Avondale Perle Owners' Handbook here

This link explains how to decipher the VIN. 

Thanks for all the help I've ordered a proper battery charger and a new leasure battery for it