Sign in to follow this  
jampot

Driving Licence Renewal at 70

Having passed the driving test in the dark ages my licence includes C1, C1E, D1 and D1E categories. Renewal at age 70 which includes these requires submission of a doctors certificate and can only be done by post.

In the context of caravanning would anyone recommend maintaining the right to drive these categories of 'medium' commercial and passenger vehicles?

I can't recall having used the facility in many a year and presently tow a Buccaneer with a Mercedes ML total gross around 4500Kgs. so not required currently.

Any constructive (or humorous!) input wlecome.

Jim

Unless you drive an articulated LGV or a PCV with trailer - you don't need the. Only a B+E for a 'van!

I thought about it when I needed to renew earlier this year and like you have not needed the facility for many years and can't think why I would in the future - unless we go to the dark side and buy an American RV!

But this does raise a question - what about hiring such a vehicle in the USA, which we've done several times in the past? Would you need Group C1 in that case? Although driving licences in that country do seem a bit "relaxed".

I have always thought strange how at 70 and only having a B+E retained and I am limited to a 3500 kg vehicle but allowed to still drive a possible upto 7000 kg combined outfit ?

Dave

Posted (edited)

I am now 81 and have not bothered with the doctors certificate for some years and have found that my B+E is more than enough for me and I tow an Airstream with a Disco 4 !!

Mind you at 73 I wanted to renew the ''lot'' but failed my medical on urine test and was advised to see my GP - he sent me to Guys & St Thomas Urology department for tests and it turned out to be prostate cancer BUT still in its early stages so was able to treat it and was passed fit with no cancer  3 years later, and am still clear in that department so had its benefits :beardy:

Edited by TedNewman
  • Like 3

Thanks Chaps. I would like to re-visit the USA at some point but am unlikely to rent a humungous RV:-)

I won't trouble the quack for a ticket but will apply on line.

Jim

It's the only sort they have.....

41 minutes ago, jampot said:

Thanks Chaps. I would like to re-visit the USA at some point but am unlikely to rent a humungous RV:-)

Jim

If you don't renew your C1E, etc at age 70 you don't lose the right to have them put back later by taking the medical.

On 17/05/2019 at 09:32, jampot said:

Having passed the driving test in the dark ages my licence includes C1, C1E, D1 and D1E categories. Renewal at age 70 which includes these requires submission of a doctors certificate and can only be done by post.

In the context of caravanning would anyone recommend maintaining the right to drive these categories of 'medium' commercial and passenger vehicles?

I can't recall having used the facility in many a year and presently tow a Buccaneer with a Mercedes ML total gross around 4500Kgs. so not required currently.

Any constructive (or humorous!) input wlecome.

Jim

You can renew them up to 10 years after they expire if you pass the medical requirement.

Don’t pay your GP a fortune - just google “ HGV Medical in xxx area” the average charge is about £50,  usually carried out at a time to suit you - and sometimes a place too.

On 17/05/2019 at 10:11, TedNewman said:

I am now 81 and have not bothered with the doctors certificate for some years and have found that my B+E is more than enough for me and I tow an Airstream with a Disco 4 !!

Mind you at 73 I wanted to renew the ''lot'' but failed my medical on urine test and was advised to see my GP - he sent me to Guys & St Thomas Urology department for tests and it turned out to be prostate cancer BUT still in its early stages so was able to treat it and was passed fit with no cancer  3 years later, and am still clear in that department so had its benefits :beardy:

Ted,

Out of curiosity, were you on the A303 late this afternoon?  If so, I overtook you at some stage (I was minus the caravan).  Awesome outfit.  If not wasn't you - sorry to butt in.

Bob

The main loss is the right to drive a minibus, for me that is a Community Minibus run by the County Council. We (Men In Sheds) have trips out so can only use a driver under 70 as non of us kept that right to drive via a medical.

We can draw on volunteer drivers but I can't see much reason to keep the C1 entitlement after 70.

On 21/05/2019 at 00:13, Punto338 said:

Ted,

Out of curiosity, were you on the A303 late this afternoon?  If so, I overtook you at some stage (I was minus the caravan).  Awesome outfit.  If not wasn't you - sorry to butt in.

Bob

Not me Bob but the Airstream is now becoming quite popular since Swift took over the marketing in the UK --  but still very expensive :beardy:

no sure if already been mentioned... if you have a defibrillator fitted in your chest you cant drive any motor vehicle weather it be a Motorhome or Caravan/ car/ SU, Fifth Wheeler  with a gross weight Oh! sorry:( Mass weight of more than 3.5 kg/tons

49 minutes ago, mentaliss said:

no sure if already been mentioned... if you have a defibrillator fitted in your chest you cant drive any motor vehicle weather it be a Motorhome or Caravan/ car/ SU, Fifth Wheeler  with a gross weight Oh! sorry:( Mass weight of more than 3.5 kg/tons

You can't drive at all for a month after the Defibrillator is fitted - and if it activates you lose your licence for at least 6 months and have to reapply to DVLA to get it back.

Had mine fitted 3rd May so looking forward to 3rd June to restart driving.

With my French driving license for anything over B1 I have to have a medical every 2 years because I'm between 60 and 70, before 60 it's every 5 years and after 70 every year, thankfully it only costs 32€

When mine was renewed last year, it came back missing the B+E category, when I questioned it I was told that the C1E category covered towing a caravan. I'm not sure if le Flick would be convinced if I ever got pulled towing the caravan.

14 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

You can't drive at all for a month after the Defibrillator is fitted - and if it activates you lose your licence for at leaist 6 months and have to reapply to DVLA to get it back.

Had mine fitted 3rd May so looking forward to 3rd June to restart driving.

Good luck! I was told by the Consultant to stop driving for 1 month after coronary problems last July; longest month of my life ... Straight after discharge by the Consultant, I drove from East Scotland to Norfolk and back in 48 hours, to buy our Gobur Folding Caravan, over 800 glorious miles! On the Monday morning, the hospital phoned, asking me to visit another Consultant; when I said that I had been discharged, I was told that I had been 'signed off' by the Cardio Consultant, but I still needed clearance by the Vascular Consultant! The Cardio Consultant never mentioned this and told me I was OK to resume driving! Good job there was no problem ...

Steve

10 minutes ago, marchie1053 said:

Good luck! I was told by the Consultant to stop driving for 1 month after coronary problems last July; longest month of my life ... Straight after discharge by the Consultant, I drove from East Scotland to Norfolk and back in 48 hours, to buy our Gobur Folding Caravan, over 800 glorious miles! On the Monday morning, the hospital phoned, asking me to visit another Consultant; when I said that I had been discharged, I was told that I had been 'signed off' by the Cardio Consultant, but I still needed clearance by the Vascular Consultant! The Cardio Consultant never mentioned this and told me I was OK to resume driving! Good job there was no problem ...

Steve

This month is passing quite quickly as I know the end date - partly as I had to endure an indeterminate suspension last year with no idea of the end until DVLA returned my licence after 10 months.

On 18/05/2019 at 08:56, jampot said:

Jim

You will be lucky to find any RV under 3.5tonnes. Even the Fiat panel van conversion we hired a couple of years ago in the US had a generator slung under the back.

On 21/05/2019 at 10:05, TedNewman said:

Not me Bob but the Airstream is now becoming quite popular since Swift took over the marketing in the UK --  but still very expensive :beardy:

19 hours ago, thebriars said:

You will be lucky to find any RV under 3.5tonnes. Even the Fiat panel van conversion we hired a couple of years ago in the US had a generator slung under the back.

Sorry to intrude but still an awesome outfit!

9 hours ago, Punto338 said:

Sorry to intrude but still an awesome outfit!

OK but we only have the 2 berth 532 (no longer made) but same size as the 534 or Missouri as Swift call it!

Agdz1.JPG.4cb39f98a223edcfda223ab37fa810d3.JPG

This was taken in Morocco in 2010 when we had a KIA Sorento as tug now have the Discovery 4

Posted (edited)

Completed the on line form Sunday evening and the postie brought the new licence this morning!

It has a Union Flag on it as well as the blue EU flag. Don't think the old one did:-)

Jim

Edited by jampot
Missed a word out

5 hours ago, jampot said:

Completed the on line form Sunday evening and the postie brought the new licence this morning!

It has a Union Flag on it as well as the blue EU flag. Don't think the old one did:-)

Jim

You are correct - the old one only had the EU symbol on it.

9 hours ago, AlanS said:

You are correct - the old one only had the EU symbol on it.

My new passport, applied for online and delivered within 10 days, is maroon and does not carry the EU symbol.

Sign in to follow this