Sign in to follow this  
PR1

Sites are very quiet!

14 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

Not so, it seems with the Dutch.   Two couples I frequently chatted to last winter both wish their government would sever ties to the EU.

And I know many German EU sceptics.

1 minute ago, Borussia 1900 said:

And I know many German EU sceptics.

How many out of the 83 million population? :rolleyes:

34 minutes ago, DeeTee said:

How many out of the 83 million population? :rolleyes:

Not counted, at least 2 in our house though ;)

We sold our caravan last Spring and haven’t replaced it.  We had 14 years of wonderful touring in Europe doing 14 countries.   France is the Country we liked least and only visited it twice for short times.   Austria  and Germany my favourite s then Italy and Holland.  Enjoyed Switzerland but very expensive and not as friendly or pretty as Austria.  Eastern Europe was good and interesting.

Last year we did a Danube Cruise for our Diamond wedding loved it so much so doing the Main and Danube on same ship this year.   

Son has bought a caravan we can use so will stick to the UK now.

still keeping my website going but with latter trips with a difference.

snooks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

It will be interesting to see how the people of Europe vote this Sunday, I think the results will show just how mad or not Britain is.

The Election Posters went up in our village in France at the back end of last week. There is a 'Frexit' pair of candidates, but there are 3 or 4 candidates from different parties of the Far Right standing for election. All seem to advocating a 'Keep France for the French' approach. This would seem to echo the situation in Germany, Italy and the Netherlands. Tolerance seems to be in pretty short supply ...

Steve

8 hours ago, marchie1053 said:

The Election Posters went up in our village in France at the back end of last week. There is a 'Frexit' pair of candidates, but there are 3 or 4 candidates from different parties of the Far Right standing for election. All seem to advocating a 'Keep France for the French' approach. This would seem to echo the situation in Germany, Italy and the Netherlands. Tolerance seems to be in pretty short supply ...

Steve

The German press have gone into propaganda overdrive (more than usual), how great the EU is and the evil AfD etc. Whichever side of the political fence you may sit on the bias of the German press is quite remarkable, impartiality is non existent.

I do hope that the title of this thread is correct as we decided yesterday to get away and have booked the Tunnel for next Thursday, 30th. Where are we going, don't know

I am in Spain at the moment  and I can tell you why sites in France are quiet they are all here (the french)  probably the largest contingent  on this site. Regarding suggestions earlier to stay in the UK and spend our money there not likely travel on the mainland europe is the only reason I ever owned a caravan and it would be a shame to stop now that we have just bought a new German van.

23 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

I do hope that the title of this thread is correct as we decided yesterday to get away and have booked the Tunnel for next Thursday, 30th. Where are we going, don't know

We're working on our new caravan parking space on our hovel in the Vendee. If you fancy giving a hand, we have a private beach [well, a 10 ton pile of builders sand ...] and a very quiet village location :P.

Enjoy your trip; we hope to get away some time this week [need to reduce the amount of builders sand in stock first ...] and will be heading for a camping municipal around the Loire, probably Montoire sur Le Loir or Amboise, so that I can get back on a bike again. So the back pain won't be cured, but it will have shifted! The piles won't be sand related ... :rolleyes:

Steve

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, David in Cheshire said:

I am in Spain at the moment  and I can tell you why sites in France are quiet they are all here (the french)  probably the largest contingent  on this site. Regarding suggestions earlier to stay in the UK and spend our money there not likely travel on the mainland europe is the only reason I ever owned a caravan and it would be a shame to stop now that we have just bought a new German van.

Spain is a lot cheaper than France which is probably why every one is migrating to Spain.  Bloody migrants!  LOL!  :D

3 hours ago, marchie1053 said:

We're working on our new caravan parking space on our hovel in the Vendee. If you fancy giving a hand, we have a private beach [well, a 10 ton pile of builders sand ...] and a very quiet village location :P.

Enjoy your trip; we hope to get away some time this week [need to reduce the amount of builders sand in stock first ...] and will be heading for a camping municipal around the Loire, probably Montoire sur Le Loir or Amboise, so that I can get back on a bike again. So the back pain won't be cured, but it will have shifted! The piles won't be sand related ... :rolleyes:

Steve

You too enjoy your trip Marchie, since posting we "think" we may meander and arrive in the Dordogne as we are away for five weeks. Then late August heading to Catalonia via a week in Loupian near Agde, back in first or second week in October

7 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

The German press have gone into propaganda overdrive (more than usual), how great the EU is and the evil AfD etc. Whichever side of the political fence you may sit on the bias of the German press is quite remarkable, impartiality is non existent.

Is that honestly real or your perception? In the UK many people Talk about the press being focused in one direction or the other but as somebody with no political persuasion at all I simply don’t see it.

Just now, FrankBullet said:

Is that honestly real or your perception? In the UK many people Talk about the press being focused in one direction or the other but as somebody with no political persuasion at all I simply don’t see it.

Yes it is, I am staggered at how blatant it is. Just listening to Propaganda FM at the moment, they've been banging on all day about how Monchengladbach has profited from being in the EU, it is ridiculous.

The German people are lied to and they just lap it up and follow blindly like sheep, very rare to find an article that tells is as it actually is but here's one I found earlier............... https://www.focus.de/finanzen/boerse/experten/gastbeitrag-von-marc-friedrich-und-matthias-weik-das-maerchen-vom-reichen-land-nach-der-EU-wahl-kommt-bei-uns-das-grosse-beben_id_10683838.html

Obviously you'll need to be able to read German to understand that.

Are there alternative media sources that have different views or is it all one-way? In the UK you generally need to get a blend of outlets but they are each there.

1 minute ago, FrankBullet said:

Are there alternative media sources that have different views or is it all one-way? In the UK you generally need to get a blend of outlets but they are each there.

The mainstream press are all pro-EU.

The EU did this, isn't it great, we profited from this that and the other, blah blah blah. Lots of people in Germany are despite what most Brits think 'poor', Germany shovels money into the EU like a stoker on a steam train but go and have a look around Gelsenkirchen, Duisburg, parts of MG etc etc, it's grim.

The EU has made a lasting peace in Europe is another one they like to bang the drum with, however, NATO has secured peace in Europe not the EU. I remember when I was in Bosnia (which is only a few hundred Kilometres from Bavaria) the EU did nowt! I was there first with the UN then NATO, those retards in Brussels couldn't sort out what to have for lunch.

Rant over :) 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On no not another 35 page Brexit thread starting.

4 minutes ago, Towtug said:

On no not another 35 page Brexit thread starting.

But the start of an interesting Brexit thread, I am enjoying reading Borussia's first hand experience as he does live in the thick of it, so has first hand experience   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Borussia 1900 said:

those retards in Brussels couldn't sort out what to have for lunch.

You have blown your credibilty now Borussia. I was going along with the main thrust of your post but I am sure that 'the retards in Brussels' are well able to order a slap up lunch on expenses. ;)

2 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I remember when I was in Bosnia (which is only a few hundred Kilometres from Bavaria) the EU did nowt! I was there first with the UN then NATO, those retards in Brussels couldn't sort out what to have for lunch.

I thought one of the main reasons for the UK leaving was because the leavers didn't want an EU Army.

Can't have it both ways ;-)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Yes it is, I am staggered at how blatant it is. Just listening to Propaganda FM at the moment, they've been banging on all day about how Monchengladbach has profited from being in the EU, it is ridiculous.

The German people are lied to and they just lap it up and follow blindly like sheep, very rare to find an article that tells is as it actually is but here's one I found earlier............... https://www.focus.de/finanzen/boerse/experten/gastbeitrag-von-marc-friedrich-und-matthias-weik-das-maerchen-vom-reichen-land-nach-der-EU-wahl-kommt-bei-uns-das-grosse-beben_id_10683838.html

Obviously you'll need to be able to read German to understand that.

Google Chrome translates German pages well 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Les Medes said:

But the start of an interesting Brexit thread, I am enjoying reading Borussia's first hand experience as he does live in the thick of it, so has first hand experience   

I for one would like to see a documentary which was impartial.  (Or as impartial as possible).  On the thoughts of the general public towards the EU in all member states.

At the moment we only get biased rubbish from governments (mainly UK obviously), the media, or from the EU itself.  I don’t believe we have much idea of people’s real feelings are.

John 

Edited by JCloughie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JCloughie said:

I for one would like to see a documentary which was impartial.  (Or as impartial as possible).  On the thoughts of the general public towards the EU in all member states.

At the moment we only get biased rubbish from governments (mainly UK obviously), the media, or from the EU itself.  I don’t believe we have much idea of people’s real feelings are.

John 

Could that documentary be made? You really have to go back to first basics. Do European countries feel that are better being independent entities or do they feel that are better off in partnership with their neighbours? You can pick apart any argument with enough negativeness but what people who are so opposed to the EU never do is look at the positives. Love it or hate it the EU is one of the largest trading blocks in the world and any country, not just the UK, would be diminished by leaving. There is much benefit in strength in numbers. The UK has been trying to leave the EU for over three years. Now you can put that down to incompetence  by our politicians but the fact that it is very difficult circle to square. There are too many competing interests for a clear leaving plan to come together because of the different factions both within politics and the country. We can't rewrite history but no body can tell me that the UK has not suffered as a result of Brexit and our influence and standing in the world is severely  diminished, some would say a laughing stock. The real choice is that you either have a close working relationship with the EU or you completely exit the EU's influence and accept the possible consequences. 

David

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, klyne said:

Could that documentary be made? You really have to go back to first basics. Do European countries feel that are better being independent entities or do they feel that are better off in partnership with their neighbours? You can pick apart any argument with enough negativeness but what people who are so opposed to the EU never do is look at the positives. Love it or hate it the EU is one of the largest trading blocks in the world and any country, not just the UK, would be diminished by leaving. There is much benefit in strength in numbers. The UK has been trying to leave the EU for over three years. Now you can put that down to incompetence  by our politicians but the fact that it is very difficult circle to square. There are too many competing interests for a clear leaving plan to come together because of the different factions both within politics and the country. We can't rewrite history but no body can tell me that the UK has not suffered as a result of Brexit and our influence and standing in the world is severely  diminished, some would say a laughing stock. The real choice is that you either have a close working relationship with the EU or you completely exit the EU's influence and accept the possible consequences. 

David

Do you write the scripts for Mrs May?  Or perhaps you are just being deliberately contentious 🤪🤪🤪

1 hour ago, klyne said:

David

I agree with you, and I don’t think it matters what side of the debate your on fact is fact, and history is just that.

Nevertheless, I believe my documentary is possible by the right people.  

John

9 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

they've been banging on all day about how Monchengladbach has profited from being in the EU,

Has it not benefited then?