PR1

Sites are very quiet!

1 hour ago, caravandig said:

We have been touring in France since the end of April . We stayed near Angers on the way down and it was very quiet. We then spent 10 days near La Rochelle and it seemed exceptionally quiet other than La Rochelle and the  Ile de Re which I think was more to do with the chilly weather than any economic reasons. Due to tax rises diesel is a lot more expensive than on previous visits (about E 1.45). We're heading home soon  and we're now staying on an amazing 5* site in Brittany  with pool , restaurant, free Wi-Fi, superb San facs,  gym,  mini golf etc.etc. all for the princely ACSI rate of 18 euros per night which reduces to nearer 16 when we've been here for 7 nts = pay for 6. What a bargain. We got a reasonable deal on Brittany ferries through the caravan club. There are British outfits on the sites and as the weather warms up I think more people will be on the move. The Euro / pound rate is bumbling along at 1.15 ish , supermarket prices are similar to the UK. Get your outfits packed and come on over! 

As we are departing in a fortnight for a 4-week tour of Brittany, very interested in this site that sounds almost perfect! Where is it?

4 hours ago, ivan leslie said:

How do you establish that 12/15% saving??  Do the run twice, once slipstreaming, once not?   I like the theory but in practice??? 

Flat level motorway, check the in dash consumption readout whilst slipstreaming, then pull out or drop back and maintain the same speed (90kph as that’s what trucks are limited to) Note the new dash readout.

And yes I DO know that in dash readouts are not that accurate (mine seems to be pretty close when comparing full to full calculations) but, like manufacturers consumption figures, it enables me to make a comparison between slipstreaming and not slipstreaming within seconds of each other.

When slipstreaming I regularly see 4-5mpg improvement.  33-34mpg  up from around 28-29 which, over several thousand miles of our holidays, amounts to a few quid saved! 

I appreciate someone is going to disagree with me, but I have done this comparison over a few years on many occasions and always see the same differential of numbers.  

Andy

A police officer recommending tail gating . Now that's new. 

• Haha 1

Camping Domaine Du Logis in La Chapelle aux Filtzmeens. Number 1450 page 88 in this year's ACSI book. Can't recommend it highly enough. Super clean san facs. lovely hedged pitch or more open lawned area if you prefer. It's about half an hour from St. Malo or Dinard and there are lovely cycle routes alongside the canal. There's a big Hyper U at Combourg about 10 mins away. 

10 hours ago, ivan leslie said:

Hasn’t food ( and other products ) prices risen everywhere in the last few years?  Spain used to be dirt cheap, but certainly isn’t anymore, in France meat, cheese and other items have always been expensive so that is nothing new. I don’t think you should compare prices on a “ proper “ market in France or Spain with supermarkets- the quality from the markets is ( usually ) infinitely better.  We spend a lot of time in both countries, we have to eat and, overall, don’t believe there is a massive difference between them and the UK.  Be selective, treat yourself occasionally and just enjoy the different experience.

I think a ‘big shop’ is very expensive in the UK, if we go to our local German Aldi and fill the trolley it’s never more than €100, when we’re visiting the UK we like to use Tesco (makes a nice change for us) but it’s always at least £100 for half a trolley of not much really. 

I wouldn’t dream of taking food with me to France or Spain,  shopping and cooking is part of the holiday for me (I love cooking, good job really because the Mrs can’t)

12 hours ago, FrankBullet said:

By contrast we went to Spain last year for the first time and I was a little disappointed - clearly it’s not the only site on the country but it all felt a bit ‘Benidorm’ (even though it wasn’t there) - I wouldn’t rush back. France on the other hand feels like my instant second home.

Strange isn’t it how people like different things, I’m English, the Mrs is German but we’re both not over keen on France but both love Spain.  I went to Benidorm when I was 16, 47 now and I’ve never been back, not my cup of tea.

I’ve tried to like France, I really have but it really isn’t for me either, if it wasn’t sat between Germany and the UK and Spain I don’t think I’d go there again but that’s just me, if folk like like it then good luck to them, it’s not better than the UK though.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I think a ‘big shop’ is very expensive in the UK, if we go to our local German Aldi and fill the trolley it’s never more than €100, when we’re visiting the UK we like to use Tesco (makes a nice change for us) but it’s always at least £100 for half a trolley of not much really. 

Go to Aldi (or Lidl) - we can fill a trolley for £100 (well, we never spend £100 but 2/3 full is about £60)

15 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

...it’s not better than the UK though.

As a summer holiday location, it definitely is.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

As a summer holiday location, it definitely is.

In your opinion, not in mine

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, caravandig said:

Camping Domaine Du Logis in La Chapelle aux Filtzmeens. Number 1450 page 88 in this year's ACSI book. Can't recommend it highly enough. Super clean san facs. lovely hedged pitch or more open lawned area if you prefer. It's about half an hour from St. Malo or Dinard and there are lovely cycle routes alongside the canal. There's a big Hyper U at Combourg about 10 mins away. 

Ah yes! Stayed there a few years ago when watching Tour De France stages when it was a Camping Cheques site.

Nice site with welcoming staff and a good restaurant.

Loved chilling on the small decked area outside the bar.

11 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

In your opinion, not in mine

I spend 50 weeks of the year in the UK, as much as I enjoy it 2 weeks of France are essential.

If I lived in Germany, the UK would also be charmingly rustic so I can see the appeal.

1 hour ago, moorgate said:

A police officer recommending tail gating . Now that's new. 

And where exactly in my post did I even SUGGEST tailgating??

Andy

12 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

I spend 50 weeks of the year in the UK, as much as I enjoy it 2 weeks of France are essential.

If I lived in Germany, the UK would also be charmingly rustic so I can see the appeal.

I agree, if I lived in the UK I’d want to go somewhere else on holiday but I don’t and given the choice between France and the UK, I wouldn’t choose France.

Mrs B won’t fly (it’s why we’ve got a caravan), I have friends/family  in NZ, Canada, Australia and Singapore and I’d love to visit them but unfortunately I’m limited to Europe. 

The Mrs gets almost 14 weeks holiday a year (teacher), I don’t but once I’m retired and if I’m still able I want to explore Eastern Europe 

1 minute ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I agree, if I lived in the UK I’d want to go somewhere else on holiday but I don’t and given the choice between France and the UK, I wouldn’t choose France.

Mrs B won’t fly (it’s why we’ve got a caravan), I have friends/family  in NZ, Canada, Australia and Singapore and I’d love to visit them but unfortunately I’m limited to Europe. 

The Mrs gets almost 14 weeks holiday a year (teacher), I don’t but once I’m retired and if I’m still able I want to explore Eastern Europe 

We want to do the same.  Friend of ours has just driven to the Black sea. He loves just getting in his car and going off on his own in europe.

We plan to buy something to go in, probably left hand drive sprinter van, convert it to a living space & then just go until we want to stop & then i suppose come back a different way. 

Mrs W has definitely got the travel bug. She's on her way back from Cyprus as i type this & has already planned her next trip to Rome. She gets a weekend away from the kids etc - though this weekend she has had to put up with her mother who can Talk for about 14 hours straight without the need to draw breath. When its my weekends i can go green-laning with son No1 :beardy:

15 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

And where exactly in my post did I even SUGGEST tailgating??

Andy

Out of interest - how close are you when you're 'slipstreaming' & how close would you be before it was counted as tailgating? 

Posted (edited)
On ‎18‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 12:24, robf1234 said:

we went to france last year with the caravan in September nearly everyone on here (with exception of durbanite ) told us you dont need to book ,,well i am glad i did book the 2 sites were rammed  they were continually turning caravans away ,so if you are going to a popular site ,,i would be booking ,,

I suspect that the better sites are busier. We have booked all sites for our coming trip and even booking a while ago found it slightly tricky to get the right spec' pitches for the dates we want. 

We are paying €38 average for 31 nights.

Edited by Ern

3 hours ago, caravandig said:

Thanks for that Caravandig. Looks like it's an excellent site and the very positive  reviews support that view. Think this will be my first stop from Cherbourg en route to Vannes at the start of June - as long as there is room of course as I see it appear in the CMC Venture Abroad brochure. By the way, the site is number 982 in the 2019 ACSI Guide on page 344!

6 hours ago, Deepingposhie said:

Thanks for that Caravandig. Looks like it's an excellent site and the very positive  reviews support that view. Think this will be my first stop from Cherbourg en route to Vannes at the start of June - as long as there is room of course as I see it appear in the CMC Venture Abroad brochure. By the way, the site is number 982 in the 2019 ACSI Guide on page 344!

And if you can't get on that one, because it's in the Caravan and Motorhome Club brochure,  and you want something smaller then you could choose one of the ACSI Card sites which isn't offered by the CMC - 60 in France for just 12 euros per night.  There are some lovely bargains to be had out there (even three 12 euro sites in Spain for those who prefer it).  See www.campingcard.co.uk 

• Thanks 1

Had a chat with the warden on the municipal site we are currently pitched up on at Chaumont Sur Loire about camper numbers.

Having been here for about 20 years she reckons it’s the quietest she can EVER recall for this time of year!  First off we are the only Brits on site (we’ve been here a week) and it’s a fairly popular normally. secondly there are only a couple of Dutch registered vehicles (very unusual indeed) but the big difference is the VERY low numbers of the French who are here, the site is almost empty. It has a capacity of at least 150 and there are probably 18 - 20 here, warden reckons “normally” at this time of year there are 40 - 50, so number are clearly down a lot.

She reckons the French are really feeling the financial squeeze and that’s why they are not holidaying as much. EVERYONE I have spoken to supports the Yellow Vest protests and DOESNT support Macron.

What has surprised us is the number of French who have asked “What is Brexit?” The majority don’t seem to even know the U.K. are set to leave the EU, but, when we explain it a good few think it a good idea and would like to do the same (AFTER they get rid of Macron) Curious times eh? 

Andy

On 19/05/2019 at 09:02, PR1 said:

I shopped yesterday in a supermarket in Magnac Bourg, and was staggered how dear the food was!

I normally shop in Lidl, rarely venturing into other supermarkets

Living in France perhaps we don't notice the small regular price increases but we find the UK very expensive for food now and are surprised how the prices increase.

The only way to make the UK cheaper is if you take advantage of the BOGOF or 3 for 2 offers, which means you get more but come out of the shop having spent more.

• Like 1

There is no doubt that things are getting more expensive in the uk , probably why Aldi and lidil are doing so well.

23 minutes ago, Odd days said:

There is no doubt that things are getting more expensive in the uk ,

Not surprising when you can see headlines like "Tesco beats forecast with 28% rise in annual profits".

Every little helps.:D

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

What has surprised us is the number of French who have asked “What is Brexit?” The majority don’t seem to even know the U.K. are set to leave the EU, but, when we explain it a good few think it a good idea and would like to do the same (AFTER they get rid of Macron) Curious times eh?

That sounds as if you you spoke to the French equivalent of British Brexit supporters, certainly everyone I've spoken to here thinks the UK is mad.

We have just returned from a 5 week tour around Spain with 2 or 3 nights in France in each direction and found some sites busy and some deserted in both France and Spain what was surprising (to me) was the number of French caravans on some of the sites, many more than I've seen in the past.

Edited by Lost in France
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Lost in France said:

That sounds as if you you spoke to the French equivalent of British Brexit supporters, certainly everyone I've spoken to here thinks the UK is mad.

It will be interesting to see how the people of Europe vote this Sunday, I think the results will show just how mad or not Britain is.

4 hours ago, ValA said:

And if you can't get on that one, because it's in the Caravan and Motorhome Club brochure,  and you want something smaller then you could choose one of the ACSI Card sites which isn't offered by the CMC - 60 in France for just 12 euros per night.  There are some lovely bargains to be had out there (even three 12 euro sites in Spain for those who prefer it).  See www.campingcard.co.uk 

Thanks Val. Have reserved a pitch for 2 nights. It is in ACSI and it is 18 Euros a night. Been in the ACSI scheme for some time now and enjoy the cheaper rates wherever we go. In fact, every site designated on our 4-week tour of Brittany is an ACSI site!

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Lost in France said:

Not so, it seems with the Dutch.   Two couples I frequently chatted to last winter both wish their government would sever ties to the EU.

13 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

Not so, it seems with the Dutch.   Two couples I frequently chatted to last winter both wish their government would sever ties to the EU.

...and yet all of my Dutch relatives think the UK is barking mad so we could naval gaze all day long.