Sign in to follow this  
PR1

Sites are very quiet!

7 minutes ago, MalH said:

...and if you plan it right, stop overnight in Millau and avoid the toll altogether - or just come off the A75 and go through the town!

Lovely little town it is as well!

As someone who uses french campsites when in that country I have noticed a gradual change in the numbers of caravanners and motorhomers on sites.  France is going through a period of great change where the traditional ambience is being replaced by the so-called modern  lifestyle.  This, plus the massive increase in different types of holidaying experiences, is making using caravans, both towed and the motor version, a dying hobby.  Motorhome owners fortunately have the option of using "Aires de Camping cars", which is an economical touring method. 

1 hour ago, ivan leslie said:

How does a thread about “ not many tourers on sites “ morph into  

a) buying and selling houses in France and

b) the best routes to the south of France or Spain while avoiding tolls

Guess the answer is that we are on CT !! 😀😀😀

Brexit?😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 16/05/2019 at 19:56, Ern said:

We noticed the same last year. Sites were not just short of Brits though, as we learned the Dutch and Germans numbers were down too.  France has become increasingly expensive and I suspect that this is a big factor.

we went to france last year with the caravan in September nearly everyone on here (with exception of durbanite ) told us you dont need to book ,,well i am glad i did book the 2 sites were rammed  they were continually turning caravans away ,so if you are going to a popular site ,,i would be booking ,,

If you find French campsites quiet go and look at the Motorhome Aires. 

IMG_0243.JPG

58 minutes ago, moorgate said:

If you find French campsites quiet go and look at the Motorhome Aires.

I see similar in carparks in Spain during the winter months.   I find it staggering that owners are happy to spend thousands of pounds on their prides and joys - and then be content to live in them in the squalid surroundings of a carpark.

• Like 3

Their choice,, more room for us caravenners on the sites!;)

Posted (edited)

I think people generally are confused and worried what is happening for the last two years that they are staying at home and going abroad this year has been put on hold . I read that Thomas Cook customers are worried about being left with no holidays or stuck abroad as the company is in doubt .

I have decided not to go abroad this year but spending the whole of the summer from Feb away  touring in the UK .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

On 17/05/2019 at 11:45, AJGalaxy2012 said:

I suppose the immigrants boost the numbers in France :D

Nah, that's fake news. It's the USA: just ask the Donald. :D

6 hours ago, Jaydug said:

I see similar in carparks in Spain during the winter months.   I find it staggering that owners are happy to spend thousands of pounds on their prides and joys - and then be content to live in them in the squalid surroundings of a carpark.

Not all by any means, but some will buy an expensive motorhome with their pension lump sum or equity release but have very little cash in their back pocket. Hence they choose to save where they can , it’s all about living with a budget. 

11 hours ago, Allan Guest said:

The A75 is a great drive and the service area at the Millau Bridge is a good stop for a break and a walk up to see the bridge to stretch the legs

Agreed, great stop at the bridge services and spend some time at the bridge exhibition and walk up to the observation point.  Well worth planning for a long stop.  But when coming to the last couple of miles of that motorway, especially with a big outfit.  Be ready for the steep and very bendy bit.

John

Well, off tomorrow to overnight at Poole in preparation for the 8.30 am sailing to Cherbourg.

Will see how quiet (or not) it is on our travels and report back....

We are taking a lot of food as we found it quite expensive last September.

On 16/05/2019 at 20:11, Borussia 1900 said:

I’m not a fan of French Campsites or France really, perhaps I’m not alone. The sites we visit in Spain are always chocker.

By contrast we went to Spain last year for the first time and I was a little disappointed - clearly it’s not the only site on the country but it all felt a bit ‘Benidorm’ (even though it wasn’t there) - I wouldn’t rush back. France on the other hand feels like my instant second home.

Most sites that have decent facilities seem to be booked heavily for August and have been for some time so I don’t think our summer is going to feel empty, as for price the biggest single bit of ours is the ferry (Portsmouth to St Malo return) which is about £700, I could do it cheaper via the tunnel but want to relax - overall I think it’s about £1,500 which is either a) dirt cheap for 2.5 weeks in August or b) hideously expensive for a caravan holiday depending on your viewpoint.

France is getting more expensive but that’s not really the main reason for going - we like it. People suggest going to Cornwall for a fortnight instead, Cornwall is okay but a hell of a drive from Cambridgeshire and not really worth it for us - I’d rather go to Normandy via the tunnel of heading for some Vendee sun wasn’t so appealing.

I do suspect many people made alternative provision for their trips this year in the weeks after 29th March but for those leaving it open they’ll be in France as per.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, meadowsweet said:

We are taking a lot of food as we found it quite expensive last September.

I shopped yesterday in a supermarket in Magnac Bourg, and was staggered how dear the food was!

I normally shop in Lidl, rarely venturing into other supermarkets

We have certainly noticed a fairly steep rise in food prices over the past 3 or 4 years, especially meat which has risen a lot!

For our longer trips (often 8-9 weeks at a time) we now buy our meat in the U.K. and freeze it in meal sized portions so configured to fill (and I do mean fill! ) the freezer compartment in our caravan fridge. That way we have a good few meals “in the bank”  mince, chicken breasts, bacon and a few sausages being the norm.

We still buy all of the other “stuff” locally and always comment on the variety, and quality, of fruit and veg in France. We have found that the markets are no longer that much cheaper than the supermarkets, but there are exceptions, especially if it’s a “proper” local produce market.

I am sure others will think us mad for bringing frozen meat with us but Mrs P likes to cook (she is damn good at it!) and reckons she saves a fair bit by doing it this way, plus she is dealing with a known quantity. 

Another good old money saver is a single induction hob. That way we use site EHU for the majority of cooking rather than deplete our gas supply. We use about 1/2-3/4 of a 6Kg cylinder per trip.  A small slow cooker also tags along.

Andy

Hasn’t food ( and other products ) prices risen everywhere in the last few years?  Spain used to be dirt cheap, but certainly isn’t anymore, in France meat, cheese and other items have always been expensive so that is nothing new. I don’t think you should compare prices on a “ proper “ market in France or Spain with supermarkets- the quality from the markets is ( usually ) infinitely better.  We spend a lot of time in both countries, we have to eat and, overall, don’t believe there is a massive difference between them and the UK.  Be selective, treat yourself occasionally and just enjoy the different experience.

51 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I am sure others will think us mad for bringing frozen meat with us but Mrs P likes to cook (she is damn good at it!) and reckons she saves a fair bit by doing it this way, plus she is dealing with a known quantity. Andy

We always take sausage with us as neither French or Spanish know how to make edible tasty sausage.  I think that they add too much salt or something.  Also take bacon with us if visiting France.  In Spain we buy bacon locally. 

We also go to our local butcher and buy two pieces to rump steak at least an inch thick.  We get at least three BBQs out of the two steaks.  The cut of rump steak seems to be different in France?

Having flown to ten or twelve countries halfway round the world without taking food with us, and yet managing to survive....I don't bother taking food to France either.  

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

We have certainly noticed a fairly steep rise in food prices over the past 3 or 4 years, especially meat which has risen a lot!

For our longer trips (often 8-9 weeks at a time) we now buy our meat in the U.K. and freeze it in meal sized portions so configured to fill (and I do mean fill! ) the freezer compartment in our caravan fridge. That way we have a good few meals “in the bank”  mince, chicken breasts, bacon and a few sausages being the norm.

We still buy all of the other “stuff” locally and always comment on the variety, and quality, of fruit and veg in France. We have found that the markets are no longer that much cheaper than the supermarkets, but there are exceptions, especially if it’s a “proper” local produce market.

I am sure others will think us mad for bringing frozen meat with us but Mrs P likes to cook (she is damn good at it!) and reckons she saves a fair bit by doing it this way, plus she is dealing with a known quantity. 

Another good old money saver is a single induction hob. That way we use site EHU for the majority of cooking rather than deplete our gas supply. We use about 1/2-3/4 of a 6Kg cylinder per trip.  A small slow cooker also tags along.

Andy

Remoska AND a Slow Cooker for us this year! Mind you, space is at a premium in A Folding Caravan, and, at our first C&CC Rally in March, in Scotland [so no awning!], I managed to place the Remoska too close to the toaster; I can now undertake a visual inspection of the 'Cool Wall' on this appliance :D.

The following week, I fitted 2 extra sockets to avoid a repeat of the problem!

Some food prices have risen in France; others [including chocolate] are a lot cheaper than in UK. Twin packs of L'Or Ground Coffee [and they're 2 x 250g, not 227g] have been on offer at  €5.64 for all of 2019, so [just] less than £5, whereas Morrisons have 2 x 227g packs on Special Offer at £6.

Anyway, despite higher prices, no more cheap diesel et al, we enjoy being in France, and, as Frank Bullet says, it instantly feels like home. I have more of my life behind me than I have ahead of me, so I intend to enjoy what's left, smile sweetly, and hand over the credit card. It's what they were designed for... :P

Steve

52 minutes ago, moorgate said:

I don't bother taking food to France either.  

Personal choice again isn’t it?

Some like to use the Peage, some avoid it like the plague. I don’t LIKE using it but if I have a long distance to travel (for whatever reason) the Peage certainly saves me time. I try and tuck in an slipstream behind a truck as that certainly improves my mpg by between 12 and 15%. thanks to them knocking a hole in the air for me (I find that tankers offer the best slipstream, must be a smoother airflow over them than an artic) Coupled with the fact that I am nearly always in top gear and rarely accelerating from rest (traffic signals in French towns/villages) or braking for the same reason I get better mpg than using non Peage, even without slipstreaming.

HOWEVER the saving in fuel costs never equates to the Peage costs, it just eases the pain slightly. You can save time OR money, but never both. 

What we save by taking some food food with us pays for a few meals out (always lunchtime in France) 

Andy

4 hours ago, ivan leslie said:

Spain used to be dirt cheap, but certainly isn’t anymore,

I don't think food prices in Spain have risen quite as quickly as those in France.   Some of the staple items (bread; milk and beer.;)) were a similar price during the last winter as they were the winter before.   It's fruit and vegetables and meat which showed the highest increase.   The street market fruit and veg stalls I notice don't now have price labels.   I just wonder if the vendors have a  dual pricing system.   One price for locals and another for 'visitors'.    In spite of the increase of vegetables and meat in the shops, our favourite restaurants still produce bills which are comparable with previous years.    Restaurant bills have changed very little over the last few years.

4 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Personal choice again isn’t it?

Some like to use the Peage, some avoid it like the plague. I don’t LIKE using it but if I have a long distance to travel (for whatever reason) the Peage certainly saves me time. I try and tuck in an slipstream behind a truck as that certainly improves my mpg by between 12 and 15%. thanks to them knocking a hole in the air for me (I find that tankers offer the best slipstream, must be a smoother airflow over them than an artic) Coupled with the fact that I am nearly always in top gear and rarely accelerating from rest (traffic signals in French towns/villages) or braking for the same reason I get better mpg than using non Peage, even without slipstreaming.

HOWEVER the saving in fuel costs never equates to the Peage costs, it just eases the pain slightly. You can save time OR money, but never both. 

What we save by taking some food food with us pays for a few meals out (always lunchtime in France) 

Andy

How do you establish that 12/15% saving??  Do the run twice, once slipstreaming, once not?   I like the theory but in practice??? 

• Haha 1

We have been touring in France since the end of April . We stayed near Angers on the way down and it was very quiet. We then spent 10 days near La Rochelle and it seemed exceptionally quiet other than La Rochelle and the  Ile de Re which I think was more to do with the chilly weather than any economic reasons. Due to tax rises diesel is a lot more expensive than on previous visits (about E 1.45). We're heading home soon  and we're now staying on an amazing 5* site in Brittany  with pool , restaurant, free Wi-Fi, superb San facs,  gym,  mini golf etc.etc. all for the princely ACSI rate of 18 euros per night which reduces to nearer 16 when we've been here for 7 nts = pay for 6. What a bargain. We got a reasonable deal on Brittany ferries through the caravan club. There are British outfits on the sites and as the weather warms up I think more people will be on the move. The Euro / pound rate is bumbling along at 1.15 ish , supermarket prices are similar to the UK. Get your outfits packed and come on over! 

9 minutes ago, caravandig said:

We have been touring in France since the end of April . We stayed near Angers on the way down and it was very quiet. We then spent 10 days near La Rochelle and it seemed exceptionally quiet other than La Rochelle and the  Ile de Re which I think was more to do with the chilly weather than any economic reasons. Due to tax rises diesel is a lot more expensive than on previous visits (about E 1.45). We're heading home soon  and we're now staying on an amazing 5* site in Brittany  with pool , restaurant, free Wi-Fi, superb San facs,  gym,  mini golf etc.etc. all for the princely ACSI rate of 18 euros per night which reduces to nearer 16 when we've been here for 7 nts = pay for 6. What a bargain. We got a reasonable deal on Brittany ferries through the caravan club. There are British outfits on the sites and as the weather warms up I think more people will be on the move. The Euro / pound rate is bumbling along at 1.15 ish , supermarket prices are similar to the UK. Get your outfits packed and come on over! 

Were leaving on Tuesday for 6 weeks, Loire, Brittany and Vendee.

John

18 minutes ago, caravandig said:

Hi, we are the same, an ITX fare from the caravan club saving £462 and 5 star sites at €18-20 with ACSI which would be €37 without.

On the way South from Roscoff will stay at Les Ormes using the site vouchers that we have bought to get the ITX and save over £10 a night.

Have never managed to convince my wife that, as the savings are almost 50%, we should just go twice though!

What site are you using in Brittany?