Sign in to follow this  
PR1

Sites are very quiet!

1 hour ago, ericfield said:

Don’t understand the logic that says France is too expensive, so people are staying at home.  Yes, the cost of holidaying in France has increased over the last few years and the halcyon days may be over.....but it’s no more expensive than in the UK. So why holiday at home?  And anyway ...a holiday is a holiday when you relax. That means the wallet too.

For a lot of people, who have to work, and therefore can only manage a couple of weeks at a time....france is a great deal more expensive than the Uk. 

The cost of diesel, tolls and food has increased so much, plus there’s the cost of the ferry or tunnel, which have gone through the roof in recent years.  Site fees are broadly similar.

We were dead keen on heading to the Rhône alpes this summer, but I reckon just travelling there and back would around a grand, and for us we’ve got extra costs associated with the dogs. And then there’s site fees. 

Sadly, much as we love visiting France, the 2 week holiday there would bust the budget. £1500 will more than pay for the 50-60 nights in the Uk that we’ll get all year. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

UK sites (especially the likes of Haven and Co) are ridiculously expensive in the UK school holidays much more than Spain or France but if you live in the UK and you add on Fuel, Tolls, Ferries etc it probably makes more financial sense to holiday in the UK. 

From my house to our favourite Spanish site is 1300 km, no ferries just extortionate French tolls but we’re basically guaranteed good weather when we get there.

Still not cheap though, we spend 18 days away, €1200 in site fees, €300 in road tolls, at least €400 in Diesel + food, drinks, etc etc.  I reckon our 2 1/2 week trip to Spain costs around 3 to 3 1/2 grand, a similar trip to Cornwall would be the same plus ferries.

Edited by Borussia 1900

7 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

UK sites (especially the likes of Haven and Co) are ridiculous expensive in the UK school holidays much more than Spain or France but if you live in the UK and you add on Fuel, Tolls, Ferries etc it probably makes more financial sense to holiday in the UK. 

From my house to our favourite Spanish site is 1300 km, no ferries just extortionate French tolls but we’re basically guaranteed good weather when we get there.

Still not cheap though, we spend 18 days away, €1200 in site fees, €300 in road tolls, at least €400 in Diesel + food, drinks, etc etc.  I reckon our 2 1/2 week trip to Spain costs around 3 to 3 1/2 grand, a similar trip to Cornwall would be the same plus ferries.

And it would probably rain a lot or it seems to every time we visit. 

Done a flyer to UK back in January (car only) to see my 96 year old Dad, hotels & eating extortionate compared with France, plus it took over an hour to get from the tunnel to Ashford Kent.  need to come over in June, will kip in the car or sofa surf. 

43 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

UK sites (especially the likes of Haven and Co) are ridiculously expensive in the UK school holidays much more than Spain or France but if you live in the UK and you add on Fuel, Tolls, Ferries etc it probably makes more financial sense to holiday in the UK. 

Haven need to charge that much in summer so as they can give the pensioners those £6 a night off peak deals. Haha 

25 minutes ago, ascsbe said:

And it would probably rain a lot or it seems to every time we visit. 

It’s not rain, it’s Mizzle.

Having only had stopovers in France for many years, Italy being the destination,  we had main holiday there for last two and going back next month.

I see little point in debating what others do, it’s their choice, and can only say why we do it and qualify that.

We live in Cornwall and for many they come here as it’s different from what they have where they live and that’s one main reason for us going to France. 

When we get off the ferry at Roscoff its soon obvious that you are somewhere different.

Driving is a real pleasure and you can bet that as we proceed along the N route from Roscoff I will asking ‘who’s shut the gate’ so sparse will be the traffic.

Then there’s the weather-if you get good weather Cornwall is as good as anywhere but it’s a lot more likely in France.

Prices are sometimes a shock but business is business so in tourist areas expect the same mark up as in our own but there still good value to be had if you look for it.

Regarding ferries I am paying less now than on my first trip with Brittany Ferries back in 1991 and this year will be on a 5 star-it’s all relative-full facilities  site for €20 a night.

We are coming over in June, we love France, I have a reasonable command of the language and like the quieter roads. If the sites ate not busy great! Where to go? Depends on weather! 

No set plans may go into Holland and Germany for a change.

We come back before the peak season and will probably come back over mid August possibly to our favourite site in Loire area! ACSI very useful.

I must go on the wrong French roads, every year on our way to Spain it’s traffic jams from Nancy to Montpellier and we have to pay for the pleasure.

Over many years we have wanted to go. Some years we managed it, some not.

We would never go for just two weeks, it is not economical. Three weeks minimum.

Now we do Easter  for two and a half weeks and summer for all of August.

Next year when we are both retired, it will be more.

It is cheap but only if you can do more than a basic fortnight.

2 hours ago, Fireman Iain said:

For a lot of people, who have to work, and therefore can only manage a couple of weeks at a time....france is a great deal more expensive than the Uk. 

The cost of diesel, tolls and food has increased so much, plus there’s the cost of the ferry or tunnel, which have gone through the roof in recent years.  Site fees are broadly similar.

We were dead keen on heading to the Rhône alpes this summer, but I reckon just travelling there and back would around a grand, and for us we’ve got extra costs associated with the dogs. And then there’s site fees. 

Sadly, much as we love visiting France, the 2 week holiday there would bust the budget. £1500 will more than pay for the 50-60 nights in the Uk that we’ll get all year. 

Can't agree.

We use the expensive ferry route (Hull Zeebrugge).

We've booked with CMC into a very nice site and very with 7 nights accommodation comes to £820, peak season. We'll have tolls, maybe £120 but we won't do many more miles than if we drove to Cornwall. We'll definitely spend a lot less in France on food and going for days out than we would here.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, svimes said:

Can't agree.

We use the expensive ferry route (Hull Zeebrugge).

We've booked with CMC into a very nice site and very with 7 nights accommodation comes to £820, peak season. We'll have tolls, maybe £120 but we won't do many more miles than if we drove to Cornwall. We'll definitely spend a lot less in France on food and going for days out than we would here.

Us too, we go in 4 weeks via Hull to Zebrugge.  Booked through CMC, ferry £440 return and 7 nights on a site at £140.   Few tolls to add on but once off the ferry we’ll be on site in around 3 hours.   

Some of us who work can’t take 2-3 weeks at a time; although my husband gets 21 days holiday per year, he has to take 7 at Christmas leaving only 14 which can be taken within the year.   He prefers to spread the holidays out over the year to ensure breaks from work and also has to fit it around other staff, avoiding school holidays as we don’t have small children.   I get more holidays but work in higher education and need to avoid May/June as exam period and August/September as the new academic year starts.  

So so for us, a week is ok and our holiday will probably be around £1200 in total.  

• Like 1

We find that whilst some things in France are dearer it's usually because they are better than in the UK, take food for example, the locally produced food from a French market might be dearer than you would pay in a UK supermarket but the quality is in a different league as indeed is eating out.  As for site fees there is just no comparison, we are off this weekend for 6 weeks the most we will pay is €20 a night and on our favourite site on Oleron we will pay just €14 and get 7 for 6 taking this down to €12 a night, at today's forex that's £10.50 and that's with a pool and free WIFI - so that's probably less than 40% of what we would pay on a CMC site.  The big extra expense is the ferry/train but even that can be reduced in our case to 1/3rd of cost using Tesco vouchers.  For a short 2 week trip its never going to be cheaper but if you can go for longer it doesn't need to cost anymore than a UK trip.

On 16/05/2019 at 20:37, moorgate said:

Our cleaning lady is flying to an all inclusive hotel near Malaga on Saturday,  one of our daughters is just back from Sri Lanka, the other has been to Center Parc again,  two grandsons are going hiking in Iceland .......nobody I know has caravans or motorhomes. There are too  many other options these days. 

There are 500000 mobile caravans in the UK.

Thats between a million and two million plus UK citizens holidaying in caravans.

Motorhome sales are booming roughly matching caravan sales around here(Scottish Central belt)

In the last 5 years you can forget turn up-get a pitch-on our favourite sites.

Static sales are booming.

Looks like our favourite pastime is very popular in the UK

11 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Well I suggest you look again at the visitor numbers because the ones you quoted are WRONG!

USA was 75 million visitors

France 90 million !

I suppose the immigrants boost the numbers in France :D

Are you claiming France is not the most popular destination on the planet?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_rankings

Got My US numbers from lost source but they were wrong yours are correct-well US anyway😂

On reflection tourist number presentation appears to be a dodgy art-but-France is leading-at the moment.

9 hours ago, Towtug said:

You need to Google a bit better than that,  otherwise you will be accused of purveying fake news.

The UN WTO figures still show France as No 1 (86.9 million in 2017) , Spain second with 81.8 million , and the US third with 76.9 million. The UK is 7th.

In terms of money spent the US is miles ahead with receipts of $210 billion , France is third with $60 billion.

Since the last caravan show I've been told by a number of people connected with the industry that new caravan sales are down by around 25% on last year, I suspect that may well have a bearing on it.

Great stuff😀

Do you mean French caravan sales?

8 hours ago, ancell said:

Are you claiming France is not the most popular destination on the planet?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_rankings

Got My US numbers from lost source but they were wrong yours are correct-well US anyway😂

On reflection tourist number presentation appears to be a dodgy art-but-France is leading-at the moment.

Great stuff😀

Do you mean French caravan sales?

Mainly UK manufacturers but the implication was European wide. Motorhomes on the other hand were slightly up.

11 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I must go on the wrong French roads, every year on our way to Spain it’s traffic jams from Nancy to Montpellier and we have to pay for the pleasure.

You are going on the wrong roads!!!  . From Germany it might be a very different route, and probably some large hills in the way, but thousands of French motorists never touch a toll road so I'm sure it can be done.  

Stick to the 'Bison Fute' recommended routes - signposted in Green and yellow. These routes usually take you through green countryside,  which is much more pleasurable,  offers you cheaper fuel away from autoroute service stations, and few traffic hold ups.  We manage to get down to our house in the Aude without paying a single penny in tolls.  These days we're not towing as the caravan is stored in France, and we manage with only one overnight stop.  Towing we used to have two stops on campsites as near as possible to our route.  (The Caravan Club and other recommended overnight stops are often thirty or more kilometres from the route used).  Our first was usually about sixty miles from whatever port we landed in,  and then the second somewhere in south/central France, then on to the Med or to Spain the following day.   

After our first trip in France when we realised how expensive tolls were we used to get a sheet map and a ruler and draw out the shortest possible route,  avoiding tolls, and then use a Michelin Atlas to find cross-country roads following as near as possible to that route.  Over the years we developed our own favourites.  Some of these have now got busier and we've developed other alternatives.

29 minutes ago, ValA said:

You are going on the wrong roads!!!  . From Germany it might be a very different route, and probably some large hills in the way, but thousands of French motorists never touch a toll road so I'm sure it can be done.  

Stick to the 'Bison Fute' recommended routes - signposted in Green and yellow. These routes usually take you through green countryside,  which is much more pleasurable,  offers you cheaper fuel away from autoroute service stations, and few traffic hold ups.  We manage to get down to our house in the Aude without paying a single penny in tolls.  These days we're not towing as the caravan is stored in France, and we manage with only one overnight stop.  Towing we used to have two stops on campsites as near as possible to our route.  (The Caravan Club and other recommended overnight stops are often thirty or more kilometres from the route used).  Our first was usually about sixty miles from whatever port we landed in,  and then the second somewhere in south/central France, then on to the Med or to Spain the following day.   

After our first trip in France when we realised how expensive tolls were we used to get a sheet map and a ruler and draw out the shortest possible route,  avoiding tolls, and then use a Michelin Atlas to find cross-country roads following as near as possible to that route.  Over the years we developed our own favourites.  Some of these have now got busier and we've developed other alternatives.

Our direct route to Spain after Lyon is the A7 alongside the Rhône, unfortunately half of Holland, Belgium and Germany are on the same road at the same time, massive traffic jams every year

Posted (edited)

Borussia, a suggestion to avoid that busy stretch going south via Lyon.  At Chalons sur  Saone go west towards Moulins  then south via Clermont Ferrand and the A75. 

Edited by moorgate

We use autoroutes to travel from Dieppe to our hovel in the Vendee; 324 miles and the tolls appear on our credit card statement at a tad over £37 [travelling 3 weeks ago yesterday], or about €45. We have a folding caravan so we do enjoy the same tariff as a solo car, but the cost is worth it to us for the quiet stretches of peaceful driving and consequent improved fuel economy. But, you pays your money [or use the N Roads and don't :P] and takes your choice ...

Steve

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, moorgate said:

Borussia, a suggestion to avoid that busy stretch going south via Lyon.  At Chalons sur  Saone go west towards Moulins  then south via Clermont Ferrand and the A75. 

Thanks, I’ll have a look later on google maps

A75 is free except for Millau viaduct.

28 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Thanks, I’ll have a look later on google maps

Hi, was just about to suggest similar.

We do our planning using Google maps and ViaMichelin will allow you to compare the toll and non toll costs.

Also find Streetview very useful for final planning in areas/sites not visited before.

The A75 is a great drive and the service area at the Millau Bridge is a good stop for a break and a walk up to see the bridge to stretch the legs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How does a thread about “ not many tourers on sites “ morph into  

a) buying and selling houses in France and

b) the best routes to the south of France or Spain while avoiding tolls

Guess the answer is that we are on CT !! 😀😀😀

Posted (edited)

Trains of thought............

Empty sites = cause is no Brits buying houses.

France is expensive = solution use non-toll roads to cut down costs of tolls and fuel.

Edited by ValA

2 hours ago, AndersG said:

A75 is free except for Millau viaduct.

...and if you plan it right, stop overnight in Millau and avoid the toll altogether - or just come off the A75 and go through the town!