PR1

Sites are very quiet!

Personally, I think the biggest problem is the costs in France. Everything seems to be much more expensive than the UK, even allowing for the low exchange rates. I love the country and have holidayed many, many times there but, I cannot justify the expense nowadays unfortunately. 

Also, and on a much lesser point - the budgie smugglers - truly obscene on a fella like me - not for any 'cool' reason either - not exactly the 'physique' that makes them look in any way good - if you get my drift!!!! 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, marchie1053 said:

Andy,

Mrs Marchie and I are in France at present [signed the devis yesterday to have the house ventilation system installed after we over insulated the hovel and have had problems with condensation - hey ho! Another €800 travels west ...].

We called in at the local supermarket for the weekly shopping and bumped into a female Essex expat who went into great detail about how she detests the French and France; she was being serious, too! Utterly bizarre. Mind you, she did quote Nigel Farage's own quote about how the UK must move to an insurance based Health care system verbatim ...:rolleyes:

Steve

Hope you have more luck than the several expat French property owners I know.

Nightmares trying-and failing-to sell their properties as they want to return to the UK.

We have been in France for the past 4 weeks - we took a week to travel down from Zeebrugge to our long term site, stopping at 5 sites on the way. None of them had more than a few visitors of any nationality.  Our long term site has over 350 pitches available for tourers, tents etc - we have been here 3 weeks and there has never been more than 4 other pitches taken ( often by just a single guy on his bike with a small tent ).  Many nights we have been totally on our own - bit weird !! 

Not just the Brits not travelling, the French in particular aren’t coming out, even for a  weekend.  Odd really.

15 hours ago, ancell said:

France is the most popular destination in the World!

With roughly 85 million visitors per year.

The US a paltry 3 million-perhaps the 250 million + hand guns put visitors off?

However where do the French go?

Spain!

Why?

Its a lot cheaper than France!

Well I suggest you look again at the visitor numbers because the ones you quoted are WRONG!

USA was 75 million visitors

France 90 million !

I suppose the immigrants boost the numbers in France :D

38 minutes ago, ancell said:

Nightmares trying-and failing-to sell their properties as they want to return to the UK.

The French property market is very different from the UK, the French don't move as often and there is a glut of British trying to sell their houses at the moment. A lot came over 10-15 years ago when they retired which makes the 75-80 now .

I know a number where one partner has died and the remaining one can't cope on their own, so wants to move back to family.

The British bought and modernised old properties and think that they can recover their costs and make a profit, the French housing market isn't like that, they buy a home, not an investment.

Also the young French want new or modern properties.

Brexit and the exchange rate mean that the British aren't coming over in the same numbers now, also isn't helping.

I can’t see how the French housing market has too much effect on camp sites having no visitors, which was the point of the OP.  

5 minutes ago, ivan leslie said:

I can’t see how the French housing market has too much effect on camp sites having no visitors, which was the point of the OP.  

Perhaps the sites were full of Brits seeking properties to buy and not now buying :beardy::D:wub:

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, TedNewman said:

Perhaps the sites were full of Brits seeking properties to buy and not now buying :beardy::D:wub:

Nice one Ted 🤣🤣. Can’t say that, in the many years of visiting France,  we have met more than a handful of Brits doing that. 

May be there was a lot more retired people before going to France but as the glut of money (equity release/and pension lump sums) starts to run out may be they can not afford to go as much.

2 hours ago, Wonky said:

Personally, I think the biggest problem is the costs in France. Everything seems to be much more expensive than the UK, even allowing for the low exchange rates. I love the country and have holidayed many, many times there but, I cannot justify the expense nowadays unfortunately. 

Also, and on a much lesser point - the budgie smugglers - truly obscene on a fella like me - not for any 'cool' reason either - not exactly the 'physique' that makes them look in any way good - if you get my drift!!!! 

Strangely, we find the exact opposite on prices. With the exception of some food most of our main outgoings on a French holiday (site fees, alcohol, visitor attractions, parking, etc) are much less than the UK. Tolls are more though. 

It's already well known just how good I look in budgie smugglers....I'm just surprised I don't get more "come hither" looks, to quote another thread. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, ivan leslie said:

We have been in France for the past 4 weeks - we took a week to travel down from Zeebrugge to our long term site, stopping at 5 sites on the way. None of them had more than a few visitors of any nationality.  Our long term site has over 350 pitches available for tourers, tents etc - we have been here 3 weeks and there has never been more than 4 other pitches taken ( often by just a single guy on his bike with a small tent ).  Many nights we have been totally on our own - bit weird !! 

Not just the Brits not travelling, the French in particular aren’t coming out, even for a  weekend.  Odd really.

The French are out and about, but in their motorhomes - they stay on aires and in car parks,  but unless  a campsite is in a prime location (town centre or beach front)  they simply don't go to campsites.  Caravans will come out for family holidays when French schools close on 7 July, but until then it's almost only motorhomes and so campsites are struggling and/ or closing . A revolution has happened .

2 hours ago, ancell said:

We have no intention of trying to sell our French hovel, or of trying/expecting to make a profit on the renovated product. We try to spend between 3 and 5 months in France each year and, having bought our first caravan in late August 2018, we combine a wee bit of work on the house with a couple of breaks on camping municipal sites [Montoire sur le Loire; Chauvigny; Montmorillon; Amboise; Beaumont sur Sarthe on the way back to the ferry, plus others as we stumble across them.].

Last year, we also managed to spend about 9 weeks from early December to early February in Spain; first time venture, and we had a great time. Hoping to get nearer to 6 months in Spain this time round, but we also have a Baltic cruise in mid-August [seemed a good idea when we booked 18 months ago ...]. The cruise finishes in Le Havre before staggering back into Southampton, at which point we shall drive back to Scotland, sort out the laundry, and then drive back to Newhaven with the caravan for our winter break in France & Spain. Fitting GP/Dentist/opticians appointments and car MOT/servicing around this plan is quite challenging :P.

Steve

17 hours ago, ancell said:

Spain!

Why?

You need to Google a bit better than that,  otherwise you will be accused of purveying fake news.

The UN WTO figures still show France as No 1 (86.9 million in 2017) , Spain second with 81.8 million , and the US third with 76.9 million. The UK is 7th.

In terms of money spent the US is miles ahead with receipts of $210 billion , France is third with $60 billion.

Since the last caravan show I've been told by a number of people connected with the industry that new caravan sales are down by around 25% on last year, I suspect that may well have a bearing on it.

39 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

The price of goods and fuel has increased substantially in the past two years, but the price of pitches with more facilities has remained more or less static and the price is a whole lot less than what the equivalent UK site would charge.

Yep, agree with that. Currently on a municipal site in the Loire, right alongside the river at Chaumont Sur Loire. Big sprawling site, loads of room, no demarcated pitches just stop where you want, EHU, decent showers (unheated block) free Wi-fi, lovely view and all for €12.35 a night for tge two of us. 

We are the ONLY Brits on site, been here a week and not seen another Brit, bliss!!

Andy

• Like 2

Last time we went over was 5 years ago.  Actually went for a week and into Belgium, but included a visit into France.  First of all, Brexit hasn't anything to do with it.  France has become quite expensive.  In fact, I'd say its on a par with this country.  I remember that you could buy wine for under a Euro, which I pretty much think you can't now.  Obviously things do go up in price, but when we last visited France in the caravan, went over to the Vendee, and to be truthful, whilst driving through the villages and towns, it was becoming quite grotty, and lots of for sale signs up on properties.  Not sure what its like further south though. 

Last year we found a big increase in most items but that does not put us off going to France, we would be there now but for Mrs Medes having a medical appointment, then it was postponed 24 hours before appointment, was given a new date for this SUNDAY at 9.30 am, if fit to travel I will be booking tunnel later on Sunday for next Thursday, so fingers crossed, cannot wait to get away

Posted (edited)

All the holiday companies are fighting for business... Thomas Cook made a half year loss yesterday of £1.5billion, blaming Brexit uncertainty... so I'm sure that applies across holidays of all types

Edited by Guzzilazz

3 hours ago, moorgate said:

The French are out and about, but in their motorhomes - they stay on aires and in car parks,  but unless  a campsite is in a prime location (town centre or beach front)  they simply don't go to campsites.  Caravans will come out for family holidays when French schools close on 7 July, but until then it's almost only motorhomes and so campsites are struggling and/ or closing . A revolution has happened .

Having looked at 5/6 Motorhome “aires” in and around the town where I am staying I am afraid I don’t agree with you. They are empty as well.  I am aware of the way that the French holiday but this year it is absolutely noticeable that there are less tourers ( of any description) around than we have seen on our previous visits.

2 hours ago, Towtug said:

You need to Google a bit better than that,  otherwise you will be accused of purveying fake news.

The UN WTO figures still show France as No 1 (86.9 million in 2017) , Spain second with 81.8 million , and the US third with 76.9 million. The UK is 7th.

In terms of money spent the US is miles ahead with receipts of $210 billion , France is third with $60 billion.

Since the last caravan show I've been told by a number of people connected with the industry that new caravan sales are down by around 25% on last year, I suspect that may well have a bearing on it.

It's doubtful that 25% of new sales are to first-time buyers so it's more likely caused by people not upgrading.

If people are leaving caravanning there would be a glut of secondhand units

21 hours ago, ancell said:

Spain!

Why?

The figure for France is round about correct, but Spain comes a close second. I don't know where you got your figure for USA from, but my source says they had 82 million visitors in 2018, giving them third place.

Don’t understand the logic that says France is too expensive, so people are staying at home.  Yes, the cost of holidaying in France has increased over the last few years and the halcyon days may be over.....but it’s no more expensive than in the UK. So why holiday at home?  And anyway ...a holiday is a holiday when you relax. That means the wallet too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well 4 weeks today we will be driving through France having stayed the Thursday night in Ouisterham. Going to Beynac. Nothing will stop me going and I am prepared with a International driving license and Green Card so hopefully covering all eventualities. Cannot really understand why the Brexit situation would put people off.  Carry on as normal I say.

27 minutes ago, ericfield said:

Don’t understand the logic that says France is too expensive, so people are staying at home.  Yes, the cost of holidaying in France has increased over the last few years and the halcyon days may be over.....but it’s no more expensive than in the UK. So why holiday at home?  And anyway ...a holiday is a holiday when you relax. That means the wallet too.

Spoken by someone with plenty of money.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Odd days said:

Spoken by someone with plenty of money.

Is it necessary to post this ?  What does it achieve?  I have been in France for 4 weeks and intend staying until mid September - it’s not a “ holiday “, just a way of life we choose to follow in our caravan.  

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, ivan leslie said:

Is it necessary to post this ?  What does it achieve?  I have been in France for 4 weeks and intend staying until mid September - it’s not a “ holiday “, just a way of life we choose to follow in our caravan.  

If it’s in your budget good luck to you and enjoy, but if you’re budget doesn’t stretch to it what’s the point of telling people that they cannot understand why people worry about spending money.

• Confused 1