Sign in to follow this  
PR1

Sites are very quiet!

Well here in France on our normal sites!

They are all unbelievably quiet as far as the U.K. citizens are concerned! Have they all stayed home because of Brexit?

I think a lot of people have. Looking at the uncertainty of the last few months, it’s difficult to blame them. 

Over the the last decade or so, I think a growing number of people are spending an increased amount of their holiday time ‘at home’ rather than abroad. The price of the Euro must have had a lot to do with it too. 

All of which has had to be good for the UK economy surely? More money being spent here rather than supporting another countries’ economy. 

I travel to the UK on holiday (other way round to most on here) and a few German friends I know who caravan in the UK couldn’t care less about Brexit (which won’t happen), we’re visiting anyway so I don’t know why you lot are worried about visiting the continent 

• Like 2

We noticed the same last year. Sites were not just short of Brits though, as we learned the Dutch and Germans numbers were down too.  France has become increasingly expensive and I suspect that this is a big factor.

• Like 2

We are coming over in mid June for a month, probably come back in Mid August so as to avoid peak times and use ACSI again!

Got green cards not bothered wth idp yet, doubt brexit will be sorted anytime soon!Less brits means more spaces!

no confidence in the goverment  and transport Minister they spent millions on a company to run a ferry service with no  ships paid off euro tunnel millions because they forgot about them

I want to go on holiday with no hassle into Europe like I have in the past  and dont want to find myself spending 2 weeks in Kent

13 minutes ago, Ern said:

We noticed the same last year. Sites were not just short of Brits though, as we learned the Dutch and Germans numbers were down too.  France has become increasingly expensive and I suspect that this is a big factor.

I’m not a fan of French Campsites or France really, perhaps I’m not alone. The sites we visit in Spain are always chocker.

Probably a mix of a lot of things, the euro exchange rate, price of diesel, uncertainty of being stuck in the docks waiting, may be low wages for some not having a rise for a while. They all add up.

Talking to the crew on Brittany Ferries, and they now do three crossing as day, and they are bored as the ships are so empty!

2 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I’m not a fan of French Campsites or France really, perhaps I’m not alone. The sites we visit in Spain are always chocker.

France is the most popular destination in the World!

With roughly 85 million visitors per year.

The US a paltry 3 million-perhaps the 250 million + hand guns put visitors off?

However where do the French go?

Spain!

Why?

Its a lot cheaper than France!

3 minutes ago, ancell said:

France is the most popular destination in the World!

With roughly 85 million visitors per year.

The US a paltry 3 million-perhaps the 250 million + hand guns put visitors off?

However where do the French go?

Spain!

Why?

Its a lot cheaper than France!

85 million, wow that’s a lot. I think it’s a bit of a dump but each to their own I suppose.

We're going, looking forward to it 

Don't think we can afford a UK holiday with the same facilities and Spain would be hotter than we need so it can wait.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our cleaning lady is flying to an all inclusive hotel near Malaga on Saturday,  one of our daughters is just back from Sri Lanka, the other has been to Center Parc again,  two grandsons are going hiking in Iceland .......nobody I know has caravans or motorhomes. There are too  many other options these days. 

French sites offer so much more for a lot less than a British site. Family too young to make Spain for two weeks at the moment but I've not found a British site that compares for kids activity and pools in the UK. Here I've found the best is a plain pool and a naff play park at best. Everyone we've been to in Europe has been so much better equipped. I wish we had the same here but even with the Ferry it's not a lot dearer. Different if you don't have kids but we need the activities.

Not entirely to do with Brexit but we haven't been abroad since we returned slightly early to vote in the referendum. We have had a few medical issues, fortunately not too serious but could have caused issues with insurance, that have got in the way of us making plans. My concern is that if we don't go back soon we will just decide to tour in the UK which would sad as we previously managed a couple of long trips a year. Perhaps its me just getting old!!!

David

1 minute ago, Jiffy176 said:

French sites offer so much more for a lot less than a British site. Family too young to make Spain for two weeks at the moment but I've not found a British site that compares for kids activity and pools in the UK. Here I've found the best is a plain pool and a naff play park at best. Everyone we've been to in Europe has been so much better equipped. I wish we had the same here but even with the Ferry it's not a lot dearer. Different if you don't have kids but we need the activities.

Totally agree.

We actually find our French holiday to be cheaper than we'd spend on 2 weeks somewhere like Cornwall. Mostly it's due to site fees and the cost of doing anything 'entertaining' in the UK.

There are some well equipped sites here but they tend to be at the Haven end of things. Very expensive and not the most relaxing from what I can tell 

• Thanks 1

French campsites would be better if it wasn’t for:

1. Having to stand up or sit on a seatless toilet for a poo

2. The budgie smugglers only pool rule

3. Paying to use the motorway 

4. The French

lol

I know I’ve said it before on here but I don’t get it (France), clearly there are a few interesting and picturesque parts but generally it’s a bit of a backwards hole.

We are in France at this moment.

Less busy at tunnel than last Sept...so Eurotunnel broke the train to add interest.  

Campsites are less busy but not just Brits. The Dutch haven’t started coming down in usual numbers...yet!

Was talking to campsite owner and she said that even the French haven’t started coming for le weekends. But it has been cool and windy...which apparently puts them off.

Maybe it’s just a bit early , slow to get going.....and with all the uncertainty (for Brits) and discontent on the streets of France (ran into a protest march in Calais on our arrival last week!), higher prices (scaring the thrifty Dutch to death) and the cooler weather, people are delaying or deferring departures.

In one sense it’s a shame....for the site owners. But on a purely selfish basis...glad you are not here!! Lots more pitch choice and roads even quieter. 

PS. Supermarket diesel still cheaper over here than messers Tesco/Sainsbury/Morrison/Asda back where we live.

55 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:
59 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

French campsites would be better if it wasn’t for:

1. Having to stand up or sit on a seatless toilet for a poo

2. The budgie smugglers only pool rule

3. Paying to use the motorway 

4. The French

lol

I know I’ve said it before on here but I don’t get it (France), clearly there are a few interesting and picturesque parts but generally it’s a bit of a backwards hole.

Best holiday in my 72 years LeBoat last September.

10 days on the Dukes of Britanny route-it’s got the lot.

Stunning chateaux beautiful lakes tiny canals locks all operated for you great villages to stop in overnight fresh bread every day-if required.

Cellular signal everywhere-in rural France!

No problem with loos 4 ensuite😀

Our gin palace slept up to 10 bow&stern thrusters central heating flying bridge inc barby 

Sun shone almost every day 25C

2 hours drive from Caen.

Around £140 per person all found inc food diesel&booze.

Forget the more popular canals in the south-to busy-to many novices-to many overused boats-see reviews!

1 hour ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I could agree with you.

But then we would BOTH be wrong! 

Please feel free to remain in the UK and thereby leave a bit more of France available to the many thousands of us that hold a diametrically opposite view to yours! 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I could agree with you.

Please feel free to remain in the UK and thereby leave a bit more of France available to the many thousands of us that hold a diametrically opposite view to yours! 

Andy

Millions😀

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

I could agree with you.

Andy

I'm not in the UK, I've lived in Germany since the late 80's

I'm glad you like France but I am entitled to my opinion.

Edited by Borussia 1900
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

I could agree with you.

Andy

Andy,

Mrs Marchie and I are in France at present [signed the devis yesterday to have the house ventilation system installed after we over insulated the hovel and have had problems with condensation - hey ho! Another €800 travels west ...].

We called in at the local supermarket for the weekly shopping and bumped into a female Essex expat who went into great detail about how she detests the French and France; she was being serious, too! Utterly bizarre. Mind you, she did quote Nigel Farage's own quote about how the UK must move to an insurance based Health care system verbatim ...:rolleyes:

Steve

• Haha 2

Left home yesterday and in the tunnel on the 6th June for a 10 week stay in the north west regions of France.

The dog now has his rabies antibodies test, £160, signed off in his passport so all is well.

Ian

14 hours ago, Ern said:

The price of goods and fuel has increased substantially in the past two years, but the price of pitches with more facilities has remained more or less static and the price is a whole lot less than what the equivalent UK site would charge.