TessAlmonds

From Portugal

Posted (edited)

Hello,

I am new to everything here!

This forum

Camping

Caravan living

It has been a steep learning curve in the last few months as I bought my first caravan and am living in it. 

It is a Hobby Excellence 560. 7 meters ling. Beautiful. I love it. But I do not like the constant hard work of carrying litres of water, emptying water, emptying toilets,carrying dirty dishes in my car that then jump over and fall off everywhere inside and leave me with dog food and soup liquid :( on my seats. Now everything is covered in plastic, lesson learned.

I m glad I joined this group. I should have done so months ago!

now is is my main problem:

In the recent weeks there had been a strange smell coming from under the seats of my Hobby caravan recently driving me nuts, thinking it was a water leak somewhere.

Then yesterday, my neighbour camper's technician had a look and identified the smell immediately coming from the battery...acid!! He said it wasn't a battery for a caravan but for a car. He disconnected it. I call my caravan seller as it is still under warranty and tell him this. He says as the battery is only for the motor mover, it is the right battery. But the technician disagrees, as he says the caravan is connected by cable to an electrical box. Naturally the seller refuses to change it for another battery. Does someone here know about batteries, in the case of a Hobby caravan where the battery only works for the motor mover and no other electrics inside?

I can't upload any picture so I will describe the battery: SERCA with a round sticker that says "8C" on it.

Thank you.

Edited by TessAlmonds
I had not added my story of the leaking battery

Whereabouts are you in Portugal in the Algave we use Camperserve 00351916581141/00351289093373 we have found them good in the past. Sounds like your battery is had it you may have to bite the bullet and purchase a new one. I would of thought you caravan seller is telling you porkies.

Posted (edited)

Where did you buy the caravan, the UK or on the continent?

2 minutes ago, Coastline said:

Whereabouts are you in Portugal in the Algave we use Camperserve 00351916581141/00351289093373 we have found them good in the past. Sounds like your battery is had it you may have to bite the bullet and purchase a new one. I would of thought you caravan seller is telling you porkies.

Correct about the dealer as they have sold the OP something that is not fit for purpose, but depends on where caravan was bought.  BTW if bought in the EU I am fairly sure that electrical goods have a minimum 2 year warranty?

Edited by Durbanite

You need a leisure battery with a minimum of 100Ah rating so to make it suitable for your caravan and motor mover.  Do make sure any battery bought does fit in the place where your battery goes.

I would get a car battery if it only powers the motor mover. Car batteries are designed for high current discharge for short periods.

The question is why does the current battery smell of acid? Is it being overcharged?

Without doing some checks it is impossible to say whether the fault is with the battery or the charger unit, or if the charger failed, destroying the battery.

Also, with it being a non-UK van maybe it has a power supply unit rather than a proper charger and has been incorrectly altered to fit a battery, using this 24/7 connected to the battery could be the cause of your issue.

For mover use only, a car battery will be fine.

Many (most?) non-UK vans are intended to always be used with ehu and without a battery. 

It is a Hobby caravan and if for the continent it probably did not come standard with a battery or a charger.  They may have been a retrofit?  Happy to be corrected.

Many thanks for your input. I decided to buy a new battery. I have a lot other things to fix, I won't fight this with the dealer,even if i should, but thank you.

7 hours ago, Coastline said:

I am near Lisbon. Not near the Algarve sadly.

Try to figure out what went wrong. You have to change the battery anyway and it's possible that the battery is at fault but it can also be the charging system. I assume the battery is in a proper battery box?

A auto-electrician or caravan maintenance technician is needed. They should identify very quickly what is wrong. As others have said, the battery should be connected to an automatic battery charger which will regulate the condition of the battery. If it has been crudely connected to a 12V transformer the battery will be damaged and the acid fumes will continue. Your new battery will be destroyed. Get an tradesman to check this.

• Like 1