ruckinge retrievers

Worse that could happen, accident in europe?

4 hours ago, JCloughie said:

PS Just had a look at my policy and it seems they do differ.  Here is my section E6.  ther is no mention of 'accident' in the whole poicy.

Section E6 – Repatriating Your Vehicle If your vehicle cannot be driven because of a breakdown during your trip and your vehicle cannot be repaired in time for your return journey to the UK, we will:

• Pay any extra costs of transporting you, up to 7 passengers and luggage back to the UK; and

• Pay the cost of transporting your vehicle to your home address in the UK as long as these costs are not higher than the market value of the insured vehicle; or

• Pay up to £500 for someone you choose to travel to the place of repair to drive your vehicle back to your home address in the UK. Important Information about Repatriating your Vehicle

• It can take up to 15 working days to arrange repatriation of your vehicle following our agreement to do so.

• The UK market value of the vehicle will be obtained from the Glass’s Guide or a recognised equivalent.

• We will not be responsible for the transportation of any excise goods which come under the jurisdiction of HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) such as tobacco, alcohol or fuel. These items must be removed from the vehicle prior to transportation being arranged and you will be responsible for the arrangement and the cost of an alternative method of shipping

-----------------------------------------

Just so you know, I never doubted what you said, I just assumed (wrongly) that the Britannia Rescue policies would read the same.

John

I think we're looking at slightly different sections John, my quote was from section E General Conditions of Service (p15 - 16 in my policy document). However, I do know there are variations between stand alone Britannia and the Flexplus cover. The latter is actually better as it covers you in any vehicle both in the UK and EU. The stand alone cover (at least when I had it a few years ago) made you nominate a single vehicle for the EU cover, and explicitly stopped you from chopping and changing so, for instance, my motorcycle wasn't covered as I'd nominated my towcar.

The wording you quote is similar (possibly identical) to that in section D6 of my policy. Do you perhaps have a section like mine entitled "General Conditions of Service" - maybe F?

It does really surprise me that cover would not be identical.....

Edited by iansoady

1 hour ago, iansoady said:

I think we're looking at slightly different sections John, my quote was from section E General Conditions of Service (p15 - 16 in my policy document). However, I do know there are variations between stand alone Britannia and the Flexplus cover. 

Found it.  G6 in my document.  Word for word the same as yours.  

6. In the event of a road traffic accident you must contact your motor insurance company in the first instance to arrange recovery to ensure you receive your full entitlements. If assistance is not available for whatever reason, we will provide the services as shown under your cover entitlement.

So I need to refer to my cover of entitlement..  I have the deluxe plus personal cover.  I think the relevant phrases are  

Standard breakdown cover

At £40 a year, Standard breakdown cover is designed for drivers who prefer a service that begins a quarter of a mile from home and offers recovery throughout the UK. If the fault cannot be fixed by the end of the day when the breakdown happened, you, your vehicle and up to seven passengers will be driven to a UK destination of your choice.

Comprehensive breakdown cover

At £65 a year, Comprehensive breakdown cover has been created for motorists who require a breakdown service that includes cover both at home and on the road. When away from home, if the fault cannot be fixed on the day of the breakdown, recovery will be to a destination of your choice within the UK. If you prefer not to be recovered, you can choose a hire car for up to 48 hours¹, have your accommodation costs paid up to a maximum of £500 or benefit from up to £100 onward travel expenses. If you break down at home² you’ll be assisted with problems like flat batteries or flat tyres and if LV= Britannia Rescue cannot get you going, they'll take you to a local place of repair.

¹ Replacement car hire is subject to the conditions of the car hire company. See Breakdown Cover Policy Documents for more information. The minimum age of the driver must be 21 years.

² Home Assist is not intended as a home maintenance service and LV= Britannia Rescue would not expect to attend to recurring faults.

Deluxe breakdown cover

At £80 a year, Deluxe cover includes all the benefits of Comprehensive cover plus cover when travelling in Europe.

Personal breakdown cover

You can extend your breakdown cover to include any vehicle you or your spouse/partner drive or travel in within the UK. It's great if you have more than one vehicle, or sometimes drive other people's vehicles.

From this it would seem to me that your Flexplus is probable essentially the same as my Deluxe cover.  It would also seem to me that the advice given to me in 2104 that I would NOT be covered if I nominated that my wheel detachment was an accident.  Was incorrect.

John

Edited by JCloughie