Sign in to follow this  
shipbroker

Co-op Caravan Insurance Survey.

Tonight I have had an enquiry survey for a potential motorhome /caravan insurance operated by Co-op.

One interesting question was does the idea of having caravan insurance being added to your car insurance interest you?

geoff

I got the same email and went through their survey.  That question about rolling up caravan insurance with your car insurance was interesting, although it would remain to be seen exactly what they mean and how that would work.  Also interesting how they focussed on technology - cameras, trackers and black boxes - as ways of perhaps reducing premiums.

I have insured through the CMC for a long time.  It has always bugged me however that the premium for my caravan is about the same as we pay for our two cars.  The cars have a combined value of more than 3 times that of the caravan, and they are on the road almost every day of the year, covering many times the annual mileage of the caravan.  The caravan has a tracker (the cars don't), and is kept in a secure compound, security fence and locked gates, CCTV coverage and the owner's house at the only gate.

• Like 1

So what would happen if you changed car or caravan and it was then cheaper to get insurance elsewhere.  In SA Sanlam insurance had an umbrella policy which was very popular.  You could have several items covered i.e. home contents, home, car or cars, caravans etc.  Although an umbrella policy you could add or remove insured items subject to T&Cs.  The beauty was you only had one direct debit payment a month instead of several.

14 hours ago, PeteG said:

I got the same email and went through their survey.  That question about rolling up caravan insurance with your car insurance was interesting, although it would remain to be seen exactly what they mean and how that would work.  Also interesting how they focussed on technology - cameras, trackers and black boxes - as ways of perhaps reducing premiums.

I have insured through the CMC for a long time.  It has always bugged me however that the premium for my caravan is about the same as we pay for our two cars.  The cars have a combined value of more than 3 times that of the caravan, and they are on the road almost every day of the year, covering many times the annual mileage of the caravan.  The caravan has a tracker (the cars don't), and is kept in a secure compound, security fence and locked gates, CCTV coverage and the owner's house at the only gate.

i'd be checking a few others out to see how premiums compared.................

Me too....

geoff

3 hours ago, Woodie106 said:

i'd be checking a few others out to see how premiums compared.................

I've done that of course, but at the last renewal I didn't find a major difference once you factored in like for like.

I would be interested if I got good insurance cheaper by combining them. Insurance is only paid once a year and combining them would not save much time.

If you make a claim for a mishap with a motor vehicle, would this the affect the household premium or vice versa?  Too much info for a single insurer and they will probably find ways to try and lock you into their policy!

Think that Home policies were not the aim of the survey, just potentially combining caravan with car cover.

geoff

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

If you make a claim for a mishap with a motor vehicle, would this the affect the household premium or vice versa?  Too much info for a single insurer and they will probably find ways to try and lock you into their policy!

For a number of years, I had car and home with same provider and got a discount.  The 2 policies had different end dates and last year I moved the house policy to a different provider but that had no effect on the car.

Sign in to follow this