Sign in to follow this  
Woodentop

A tip for phone-camera users

I dumped my full frame Nikon D series about 4 years ago as it’s a big lump to drag around to the point where you make excuses not to carry it. It’s replaced with a micro 4/3rds LUMIX G3; small, light, powerful and versatile. I have an iPhone 7 which takes very nice images, but the LUMIX gives fantastic results with full manual control, to one press of iA button for a simple point and shoot also small and un-intrusive enough to always take with you.

Like my phone camera but love my little micro 4/3rds LUMIX.

knee deep in water with a fishing rod in one hand, I saw this through the mist so took my phone out of my pocket and I took this.

DSC_0138.JPG

On 19/05/2019 at 11:21, Grandpa Steve said:

But still only uses a 1/1.7” sensor which if you carve up into 40Mp makes 40 very small image capturing  elements.

So whilst it makes a better phone camera than the rest it is no replacement for a proper camera. and as a positive it is still a bigger sensor than the 1/2.3” sensors used in many expensive compact and bridge cameras.

But again if all you want is to take snaps and print the odd 7x5 then its good enough.

Depends what you mean by snaps.

I want to take pictures of seals on rocks otters eating shellfish on the rocks golden eagles sitting on fence posts.

The 63 zoom fills the frame with the subject to an acceptable quality level for me the only downside being the bulky camera.

I print very few shots almost all are cloud archived and internet shared.

On 15/05/2019 at 13:39, Griff said:

I'm also for compactness.

Been into cameras since my first SLR, a Practica L.

Got loaded up with more and more baggage over the years then decided to get rid and go light.

Just got a Fuji street camera now, which takes some good pic's.

20190515_132823.thumb.jpg.8d2887e2afa005f12d6eeee69de86f20.jpg

Ah, the Practica! Excellent solid camera. As one photo reviewer said, "The ideal camera. You can take it to a wedding, photograph the bride. Photograph the reception and when it gets rowdy, use it as a club to defend yourself and then photograph the ambulance when it takes away the injured revellers." I had two and learned a huge amount about the basics of photography.

• Haha 1

On 19/05/2019 at 12:28, Joeblogs said:

I dumped my full frame Nikon D series about 4 years ago as it’s a big lump to drag around to the point where you make excuses not to carry it. It’s replaced with a micro 4/3rds LUMIX G3; small, light, powerful and versatile. I have an iPhone 7 which takes very nice images, but the LUMIX gives fantastic results with full manual control, to one press of iA button for a simple point and shoot also small and un-intrusive enough to always take with you.

Like my phone camera but love my little micro 4/3rds LUMIX.

I've still got my Nikon D5300 plus several kilos of decent quality glass that I used to get some good shots of whales in Alaska in April 2018, and they are beautiful. However, Mrs Marchie and I each bought a Huawei P20Pro on its launch in April 2018 [Credit Card bill for that month was interesting ... Perhaps explains my pulmonary embolism in May 2018 ...], and for those impromptu shots of wildlife, plus City Centre buildings et al, the photo quality is quite good. And the lugging around is much less effort and less of a threat to other passengers when getting into/out of ships' tenders etc!

Steve

Sign in to follow this