Woodentop

A tip for phone-camera users

Posted (edited)

I am delighted to say that I have observed many people of late actually turning their iPhones or whatever into landscape mode (i.e. horizontal) when they are taking landscape-type pictures. However watching them (and I have to say mainly the fairer sex) they end up holding the phone in the left hand by top and bottom edge, and then stabbing at the soft shutter release button on the screen with the right index finger.

I am hereby starting a crusade which I ask as many as possible to help push. As is common no-one ever reads the manual these days, so it would seem that few seem to know that in camera mode the volume buttons also act as a shutter release. This means that the phone can be held firmly in two hands and the shutter released with a gently squeeze on either volume button.

Come on people, don't let me down!

Edited by Woodentop
  • Thanks 1

And a quick wipe of the lens to remove the finger print marks, helps give a much better photo.

• Haha 1

Never had a manual with my iPhone,just a box and a lot of guesswork. But thanks for the tip.

geoff

• Like 1

Interesting but doesn't work on my Sony S4

:goodpost::Thankyou: just tried it and yep your right it works

Doesn't work on my Sony ZX Premium.

Ian

Been using the volume button on my Samsung for a while, but it had to be setup in the menu.

Which menu? Perhaps we can find out and alter our settings?

26 minutes ago, Jacko1 said:

:goodpost::Thankyou: just tried it and yep your right it works

Just tried it on my Huwawei something or other, and yes, it works. Thanks for the tip. 

The things you learn in caravan forums. :goodpost::Thankyou:

48 minutes ago, Tandem Man said:

Doesn't work on my Sony ZX Premium. 

Ian

Oh lovely - another opportunity to bang the Apple drum ......

Apple Macs, iPhones, iPads etc JUST WORK, why bother wasting money on anything else?

Works no my Samsung as well

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Woodentop said:

they end up holding the phone in the left hand by top and bottom edge, and then stabbing at the soft shutter release button on the screen with the right index finger.

Last winter when I was in Spain, I found myself using my (new) phone more often than the camera because I was so pleased with the results.   Its a Huawei P9.   I find if I hold the phone with thumb and second finger of both hands, then touch the screen where I've super-imposed the black circle with right index finger, the picture is taken.  

I thought all phones worked like that :blink:

Sam.thumb.jpg.5b754039432085be37cc659fecefe78b.jpg

Edited by Jaydug

Can't be bothered will all this button pressing stuff! 

Got my Samsung S9+ set to take a shot when I say 'shoot', it's in the camera settings. :)

Still use the button though if I want to take something sneaky. ;)

52 minutes ago, Griff said:

Can't be bothered will all this button pressing stuff! 

Got my Samsung S9+ set to take a shot when I say 'shoot', it's in the camera settings. :)

Still use the button though if I want to take something sneaky. ;)

Try saying 'shoot' in certain places in the world and you are likely to be surrounded by the police armed response unit.. :blush::D:D

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, Woodentop said:

Come on people, don't let me down!

I didn't know that but I just tried it on my iphone 8 and it works, thanks for the top tip :Thankyou:

Funny, I thought everyone used the volume buttons, I have for a long time

20 minutes ago, macSpot said:

Try saying 'shoot' in certain places in the world and you are likely to be surrounded by the police armed response unit.. :blush::D:D

Just tried 'please don't shoot', still works. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I find the 5 or 10 second timer delay very handy when taking those hard to get to shots, I've taken a few of areas in my car or above a crowd, you only need one hand once the timer is triggered. 

38 minutes ago, Hairyspinner said:

I find the 5 or 10 second timer delay very handy when taking those hard to get to shots, I've taken a few of areas in my car or above a crowd, you only need one hand once the timer is triggered. 

Yes but...

That is the issue - holding the camera with one hand is bad enough for stability, but stabbing at the on-screen shutter release button whilst holding it with one hand (as I have so often seen) is even worse.

That is also why you will find that people who take their photography seriously and want to carry a small compact will use  one of the (increasingly) few compacts with a viewfinder.* It is not natural to hold the camera at a distance from you  with unsupported arms even assuming you can see the screen (!) but holding the camera against your face whilst looking through the viewfinder is about as stable as you can get short of a tripod.

*Ever noticed how many people use a bridge camera with a viewfinder and still hold the camera at arms length so they can (hopefully) see the screen? If you ask them why they do it they say they always wondered what the purpose of the little screen was!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woodentop said:

Yes but...

That is the issue - holding the camera with one hand is bad enough for stability, but stabbing at the on-screen shutter release button whilst holding it with one hand (as I have so often seen) is even worse.

That is also why you will find that people who take their photography seriously and want to carry a small compact will use  one of the (increasingly) few compacts with a viewfinder.* It is not natural to hold the camera at a distance from you  with unsupported arms even assuming you can see the screen (!) but holding the camera against your face whilst looking through the viewfinder is about as stable as you can get short of a tripod.

*Ever noticed how many people use a bridge camera with a viewfinder and still hold the camera at arms length so they can (hopefully) see the screen? If you ask them why they do it they say they always wondered what the purpose of the little screen was!!

Totally agree about the viewfinder.

Last year i ditched by Canon DSLR and lenses for a Panasonic DMC G7, and a couple of weeks ago ditched that for a Canon PowerShot G5 x.

Had a devil of a job finding a compact camera with a 1" sensor, a decent zoom, a viewfinder and a swivel LCD screen.

1 hour ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Totally agree about the viewfinder.

Last year i ditched by Canon DSLR and lenses for a Panasonic DMC G7, and a couple of weeks ago ditched that for a Canon PowerShot G5 x.

Had a devil of a job finding a compact camera with a 1" sensor, a decent zoom, a viewfinder and a swivel LCD screen.

Lumix TZ100 (or is it TZ200?) Not cheap but a cracking camera. I have the TZ80 and don't go anywhere without it. I actually have to force myself to take the Nikon dSLR for proper pictures!

I'm also for compactness.

Been into cameras since my first SLR, a Practica L.

Got loaded up with more and more baggage over the years then decided to get rid and go light.

Just got a Fuji street camera now, which takes some good pic's.

20190515_132823.thumb.jpg.8d2887e2afa005f12d6eeee69de86f20.jpg

1 hour ago, Griff said:

I'm also for compactness.

Been into cameras since my first SLR, a Practica L.

Got loaded up with more and more baggage over the years then decided to get rid and go light.

Just got a Fuji street camera now, which takes some good pic's.

20190515_132823.thumb.jpg.8d2887e2afa005f12d6eeee69de86f20.jpg

I started with a Practical PLC2 with TTL metering and Pentax lenses.

Then moved on to Canon's, first an AE1 and then added a A1, then went digital with several Canon's ending with the a EOS 750D which I ditched last year, purely because of the bulk.

The Panasonic DMC 7G had a Micro 4/3s  sensor, and with the two lenses gave an 35mm eq of 24 - 300mm.

The new Canon PowerShot G5x with a 1" sensor gives a 35mm eq optical zoom of 4.2x = 24 - 100mm, with the addition of a further 4.2x digital zoom that takes it up nearer 250mm.

As I don't print anything larger than A2 the image quality is still very good a the farthest end of the range, all from a lens that opens up to f1.8.