Sign in to follow this  
David P

Shower

I have been asked the question, what mastic to use around the shower in a caravan, joints between tray and white plastic wall boards as a sealer, as the caravan flexes when towed. Is a domestic bathroom sealer any good or is there a more flexible sealer available. The sealer for external jointing stays wet so not  very good for this scenario. Would a Dow Corning product 786, do the job? 

See what the caravan dealers sell first...but the only one I ever did was using domestic bathroom mastic and it lasted at least two years.

geoff

7 hours ago, David P said:

I have been asked the question, what mastic to use around the shower in a caravan, joints between tray and white plastic wall boards as a sealer,

Take a look at my blog here or here.   All the sealing was done with Screwfix Bathroom Silicone Sealer.   It's only a year since I completed the job but since then the caravan has travelled down to southern Spain and back and the shower was used every day for four months.   It seems to be standing up well to both travel and use.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jaydug said:

Take a look at my blog here or here.   All the sealing was done with Screwfix Bathroom Silicone Sealer.   It's only a year since I completed the job but since then the caravan has travelled down to southern Spain and back and the shower was used every day for four months.   It seems to be standing up well to both travel and use.

Thanks for that, will pass on the answer. Tell them to go to Screwfix.:D I read that you supported the shower tray on strips of sealant, when you did it, did you fill the tray full of water. When you fit an acrylic bath (home) it is suggested to fill the bath full of water, then mastic?

8 minutes ago, David P said:

when you did it, did you fill the tray full of water.

No - I laid a bag of sand in it.