Sign in to follow this  
laurastoppard

Will my car pull a large caravan

22 hours ago, SamD said:

Spot on with your last sentence - smacks of trying to ensure that every option not to pay is high on their agenda.  Both firms Talk about caravan weight which, to a lay person, should be 'actual'.  I have just today moved from Towergate as a direct result of this and, Oh yes, a 40% increase over last year!!

We are currently with Towergate and are expecting a huge increase when we renew later this year.  Only reason it did not go up last year was because the previous year there was an offer running stating that there would be no change for 2 years.  I was not aware of that clause that Towergate had concerning kerbweight etc not that it would affect us anyway.

At the risk of dragging this off track, my concern would be what do they define as a "caravan" as (from memory) there is no actual legal definition of one, they are swallowed up under the title of a trailer with a MTPLM of under 3500kgs (again, from memory).  While I stick to the tradition of keeping the caravan's MTPLM below the kerb weight/unladen weight/mass in service, I often tow a twin axle trailer which (when laden) is over the car's kerb weight but under it's maximum towing weight.  As Lutz points out with the use of the term kerb weight, the insurance companies "rules" seem to be based on items that aren't laid out in law?

As I'm now having to buy my own car and have my own insurance (rather than a company car) it's something I'm going to have to keep an eye on.

55 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

We are currently with Towergate and are expecting a huge increase when we renew later this year.  Only reason it did not go up last year was because the previous year there was an offer running stating that there would be no change for 2 years.  I was not aware of that clause that Towergate had concerning kerbweight etc not that it would affect us anyway.

Yep, I was with the Club year before and they went up so last year with TGate.  This year Club bettered TGate by well over £100.  That Clause bothers me cos any replacement car on my shortlist is close to the 100% 'limit'.  In towing terms that doesn't really bother me as, with 440 kg payload and everything of weight (awning, LocknLevel etc) in the car, I reckon I'm fine but no way am I giving any insurer an additional 'out'!

1 hour ago, GaryB1969 said:

At the risk of dragging this off track, my concern would be what do they define as a "caravan" as (from memory) there is no actual legal definition of one, they are swallowed up under the title of a trailer with a MTPLM of under 3500kgs (again, from memory).  While I stick to the tradition of keeping the caravan's MTPLM below the kerb weight/unladen weight/mass in service, I often tow a twin axle trailer which (when laden) is over the car's kerb weight but under it's maximum towing weight.  As Lutz points out with the use of the term kerb weight, the insurance companies "rules" seem to be based on items that aren't laid out in law?

As I'm now having to buy my own car and have my own insurance (rather than a company car) it's something I'm going to have to keep an eye on.

Ask the insurer for their definitions.

1 hour ago, GaryB1969 said:

I suppose that they do not need to define 'caravan' because the policy is written specifically for the caravan that we have declared so de facto it is defined?

11 minutes ago, SamD said:

I suppose that they do not need to define 'caravan' because the policy is written specifically for the caravan that we have declared so de facto it is defined?

Many cars can tow a higher weight than their kerbweight plus if the driver has the correct driving it is all legal and above board however Towergate have chosen to make it "illegal" on their policies. 

21 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Many cars can tow a higher weight than their kerbweight plus if the driver has the correct driving it is all legal and above board however Towergate have chosen to make it "illegal" on their policies. 

They haven't made it illegal, they've  just made it a condition of their insurance. Its up to you whether that's acceptable or not

There are plenty of other insurance companies who have other conditions/definitions which may or may not suit. That's why you need to check the t&c's very carefully for whichever company thatyouare with and not rely on someone else's  opinion

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, matelodave said:

They haven't made it illegal, they've  just made it a condition of their insurance. Its up to you whether that's acceptable or not

There are plenty of other insurance companies who have other conditions/definitions which may or may not suit. That's why you need to check the t&c's very carefully for whichever company thatyouare with and not rely on someone else's  opinion

Agreed but I think that's why Durbs put illegal in inverted commas.