Sign in to follow this  
laurastoppard

Will my car pull a large caravan

Hi

We are looking at buying an Abbey Spectrum 620 (6 berth) The Mass in running order is 1469kg and the MTPLM is 1800kg

We currently drive a 2005 Ford Galaxy which has a kerbweight of 1731kg but according to the manual the car is capable of towing 2000kg.

The car would be loaded with 2 adults and 4 children plus clothes and food. In the caravan we would  have the awning and poles,groundsheet plus 2 water barrels and waste, 6 chairs and a table.

Would our car legally tow this size caravan or would we need to get a bigger car as we really need to buy a bigger caravan as my husband cant take much more sleeping in the awning.

My husband has been towing for 12 years and holds the B+E licence.

Hi

if I remember correctly, the vans mtplm should not be more than the towing vehicle kerb weight.

the 2000kgs towing capacity is what the engine and gearbox is capable of towing.

hope this helps 

/\ /\ :rolleyes:

Your car can legally tow this caravan but...….

You would need to keep a close eye on the Gross Train Weight (GTW), which you may well be over loaded like this.

You would need to read the fine print of your car insurance as some prohibit an over 100% match.

You would be over the normally recommended weight ratio.

So, legal; possibly yes, good idea; probably not.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stevan said:

You would need to keep a close eye on the Gross Train Weight (GTW), which you may well be over loaded like this.

You would need to read the fine print of your car insurance as some prohibit an over 100% match.

And your caravan insurance.

But don't be stupid and tow over 100% , buy a heavier car.

Laura - you do it, but I would not under any circumstances.

I've towed a lot longer but wouldn't, I'd buy a heaver car.

No don't do it, and in those immortal words of Roy Scheider..........

20190515_063623.thumb.png.9a7e4ade5fe33d167037df25d170a76c.png

I have just changed from a Galaxy and it was because when towing our twin axle Bologna it was a little lacking in oomph when joining a motorway or dual carriageway.  Perhaps a 2.2 would fair better but I think your setup would be a step too far for my liking.

4 hours ago, cockneychris said:

I have just changed from a Galaxy and it was because when towing our twin axle Bologna it was a little lacking in oomph when joining a motorway or dual carriageway.  Perhaps a 2.2 would fair better but I think your setup would be a step too far for my liking.

"Oomph" is a totally separate matter to weight. Plenty of cars with loads of "oomph" are quite poor towcars or are even not type approved for a towbar. 

4 hours ago, cockneychris said:

Started towing our heavy twin axles with a Discovery Td5.

Although stable and generally a very good tow, at certain times it did lack 'oomph'.

One particular circumstance was when accelerating up inclined slip roads trying to match the speed of fast motorway traffic.

Changed to a D3 then D4 each with more 'oomph' and the above situation went away.

If you take a good stable setup, adding that extra power in an otherwise same model can only be advantageous.

BTW, not knocking Td5's, excellent towing machines.

Posted (edited)

As pointed out by Griff that although legal to tow some  some insurance policies have a clause stating that the caravan's MTPLM should not be heavier than the kerbweight or MIRO of the towing vehicle. 

Edited by Durbanite

15 hours ago, Stevan said:

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

As pointed out by Griff that although legal to tow some  some insurance policies have a clause stating that the caravan's MTPLM should not be heavier than the kerbweight or MIRO of the towing vehicle. 

Interesting one this.  Following discussion in another thread with Lutz, I have been trying to find the member who quoted this 'match' business because given that Mass in Service is the only applicable data on the Log Book and that that particular figure has been shown by others here to be 'lacking in correctness', it does make one wonder what figure would stand up.  If you can remember whose policy this was, I would be interested in the wording of the clause.

6 minutes ago, SamD said:

Interesting one this.  Following discussion in another thread with Lutz, I have been trying to find the member who quoted this 'match' business because given that Mass in Service is the only applicable data on the Log Book and that that particular figure has been shown by others here to be 'lacking in correctness', it does make one wonder what figure would stand up.  If you can remember whose policy this was, I would be interested in the wording of the clause.

Besides, if the insurance company specifically refers to kerbweight I wonder where they get their figures from as manufacturers aren't obliged to document kerbweight and they don't, even if their brochures incorrectly use the term.

Posted (edited)

I've never come across that anywhere. Lots of vehicles have Towable Masses in excess of the MRO (or kerbweight)

Take a basic 2019 Hilux for example

MRO 2050

MAM 3080

Towable Mass    3500

Combination Mass  5850

So even with the Hilux fully laden it can still tow 2770 kg  (135%)

And towing the max capacity 3500 it would be at ( 170%)

Modified with Air suspension the Combination mass can go up to 7000kg

Admittedly less capable cars generally have a Towable mass about the same as the MRO, but what this statement appears to say is the more capable the car is, the greater risk it is to the insurer. 

Edited by Towtug

22 minutes ago, Towtug said:

I've never come across that anywhere. Lots of vehicles have Towable Masses in excess of the MRO (or kerbweight)

Take a basic 2019 Hilux for example

MRO 2050

MAM 3080

Towable Mass    3500

Combination Mass  5850

So even with the Hilux fully laden it can still tow 2770 kg  (135%)

And towing the max capacity 3500 it would be at ( 170%)

Modified with Air suspension the Combination mass can go up to 7000kg

Admittedly less capable cars generally have a Towable mass about the same as the MRO, but what this statement appears to say is the more capable the car is, the greater risk it is to the insurer. 

Agreed - when I'm looking for a new car, any with towing limit less than "kerbweight" (however calculated) is off the list.

Like many similar large SUVs, my Touareg has a 3500kg towing limit despite a "kerbweight" of 2280kg - I've no plans to tow a fully laden car trailer at 3500kg but could if I wanted.

55 minutes ago, SamD said:

If I remember correctly the extract was from an Towergate insurance policy and post by Griff in another thread.

2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

If I remember correctly the extract was from an Towergate insurance policy and post by Griff in another thread.

I think I remember that discussion now you mention it. It sort of got sidetracked by a discussion related to not having a legal definition of Kerbweight.

I regularly tow a 2500 kg generator behind a  pickup which puts me at 140% ish. 

I suppose the bottom line is if you bother to insure a trailer check the small print.

• Like 1

Thank you very much. We are going to go look at a volvo xc90 and a mitsubishi shogun at the weekend. 

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Towtug said:

I think I remember that discussion now you mention it. It sort of got sidetracked by a discussion related to not having a legal definition of Kerbweight.

I suppose the bottom line is if you bother to insure a trailer check the small print.

I think the insurance is the vehicles insurance state the trailer should not weigh more than the Kerb weight which used to be a legal requirement on licences if I remember a few years ago .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

44 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

I think the insurance is the vehicles insurance state the trailer should not weigh more than the Kerb weight which used to be a legal requirement on licences if I remember a few years ago .

Dave

Only ever a requirement for new licence holders after 1997 - subsequently withdrawn in 2013

Lifesure also do not insurance for CARAVAN ratios over 100%.

8 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Only ever a requirement for new licence holders after 1997 - subsequently withdrawn in 2013

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/medium-sized-vehicles-towing-trailers

See C1+E says trailer must not weigh more than unladen vehicle .

Dave

1 hour ago, Towtug said:

Would the amazing towing capacity of the HiLux be more suited to towing trailers such as yours with the generator where the open trailer has less wind resistance than the 'white box' that is a caravan? My Tiguan has a maximum towing capacity of 2000kg but Mass in Service of 1588kg; if Tig were to tow at or near its maximum, it would be pulling my general trailer with yet more gravel or sand, rather than towing a pristine 2000kg caravan that would pose more problems for the car's [safe and comfortable] towing  capacity. I tow only a folding caravan with MTPLM of 1050kg so I know I'm being very conservative!

Steve

8 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/medium-sized-vehicles-towing-trailers

See C1+E says trailer must not weigh more than unladen vehicle .

Dave

https://www.gov.uk/old-driving-licence-categories

The note states "Driving licence categories are different in Northern Ireland" which your link refers to.