Fireman Iain

Who names caravans?

All my cars have been/are called Dave, all my wife's cars are called Doris.

My Adria Altea is an Eden, can you Adam and Eve it? :D

(Apparently Altea models are named after rivers, there are others such as Thames and Taymar in the range). 

I thought Pastiche is a type of nut, sort of, and Olympus was the home of the Gods.  Our is a Roman Goddess, Venus:D

5 hours ago, Babstreefern said:

I thought Pastiche is a type of nut

Do you mean Pistachio?

• Haha 2

On 13/05/2019 at 21:04, Woodie106 said:

it will be the same people that name paint colours......................

So like Volvo's 'Sahara Beige' which in fact was dog-poo brown ?

• Haha 3

Been looking around and ruminating a bit more. 

As as someone mentioned earlier what is the Challenger challenging? Or are Swift cleverly suggesting it’s built like a tank? And if so, what do you add to a tank to make it a Challenger Sport? Maybe it’s so it can keep up with the high speed bailey Pursuit?

And what do Elddis add to their tropical  storm to take it from merely a Cyclone and make it a Super Cyclone? 

How many true VIPs enjoy caravanning. Maybe Prince Charles tows a Coachman for his holidays. 

eriba have the amusingly named Troll, which is quite witty given the very low roofline and presumably little headroom. 

There’s an Elddis Chatsworth opposite us now, which is pleasantly inoffensive and a Coachman Wanderer along the way, which is probably the best caravan name I’ve seen yet. 

Thomson caravans named their caravan models with Scottish connotations. The only model I remember was the smallest model which was the MiniGlen. My late "outlaws" had one which they towed behind a Mini Countryman.It was the same width as a Mini - the car not the skirt.:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, FrankBullet said:

Do you mean Pistachio?

As I said, "sort of":D

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, DeeTee said:

Thomson caravans named their caravan models with Scottish connotations. The only model I remember was the smallest model which was the MiniGlen. 

Thompson T-Line produced the Mini Glen that had Mini wheels too, the standard Glen had slightly larger wheels I believe. Didn't they also market the Braemar, Clyde and Solway. Then there was a Glendale, Gleneagle and Glennevis(?) and a much larger Glenrosa(?) If I recall there was also an Almond, or was it Glenalmond, and an Avon? I'm sure there were other Glen(something) names too but I cannot recall them just now.

Gordon

1 hour ago, Gordon said:

Thompson T-Line produced the Mini Glen that had Mini wheels too, the standard Glen had slightly larger wheels I believe. Didn't they also market the Braemar, Clyde and Solway. Then there was a Glendale, Gleneagle and Glennevis(?) and a much larger Glenrosa(?) If I recall there was also an Almond, or was it Glenalmond, and an Avon? I'm sure there were other Glen(something) names too but I cannot recall them just now.

Gordon

I also recall the Glenalmond and the Gleneagle but not the others

Last week I was on a site at Belper and the caravan next to us was called Penny .

My motorhome is called D'Artagnan as there are the two of us and the dog .

Dave

Our last caravan was simply called The Heap of Junk.

We were going to be given the number plate ending in FKU for our motorhome. It would have been easy to use that as a suitable name.  Thought better of it in the end, and got the plate swapped. :D

I suppose the manufacturers have to call them SOMETHING!  So pick some sort of “theme” for each incarnation. What’s the alternative?  Just use numbers like BMW or Peugeot cars? 

What really gets me are the dopey owners who ‘name” their caravans as if they are animate objects or some form of sentient beings.

Hellooooo! They are just boxes made of various types of materials, screwed together (rather poorly sometimes) I often wonder if they name their lawnmower, or kitchen sink?  Do YOU?? 

Andy 

39 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

What really gets me are the dopey owners who ‘name” their caravans as if they are animate objects or some form of sentient beings.

Hellooooo! They are just boxes made of various types of materials, screwed together (rather poorly sometimes) I often wonder if they name their lawnmower, or kitchen sink?  Do YOU?? 

Andy 

Why shouldn't people name their caravans? It doesn't hurt you does it? It's their life - let them lead it how they want!

i frequently call ours "Rotton" dam hole in the bank balance way to often LOL

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Andy 

It’s harmless fun.

Both ours has a name, Percy, and my sisters which she bought with the name already on it (Audrey).

7 hours ago, cher129 said:

:goodpost:  :lol:

Andy

15 hours ago, cher129 said:

If it was the marine world, you'd have a boat shaped hole into which you pour £50 notes.... :D

I call mine 'nothing-but-trouble' (polite version!) & it has truly earned it!

cool, how many people have so many opinions. interesting names

On 17/05/2019 at 22:48, Mr Plodd said:

How very dare you Sir, I’ve just been outside and told Stephanie what you said and she says she is not inanimate, shame on you Plodd 😂😂

I’ve named my van but sadly I cannot repeat it on here.

13 minutes ago, Scoobz said:

I’ve named my van but sadly I cannot repeat it on here.

I guess we've all had caravans like that :ph34r: but thanks for not sharing the name online ;)

• Like 1

The tow vehicle is called "the truck" and the caravan is called "the van".  Simples!  :D

On 17/05/2019 at 21:48, Mr Plodd said:

I suppose the manufacturers have to call them SOMETHING!  So pick some sort of “theme” for each incarnation. What’s the alternative?  Just use numbers like BMW or Peugeot cars? 

Andy 

Hellooooo!   You may seem a nice guy but you have no imagination , Do YOU??