Sign in to follow this  
Lost in the wilderness

Considering changing to Safefill

Texaco at Ower (McDonald's etc..) not exactly nr. me but I have refilled twice now whilst en-route to other engagements without comment.

Texaco at Ower (McDonalds etc..) not exactly nr. me but I have refilled there twice now en-route to other engagements without comment.

• Thanks 1

Do FloGas fill Safefill bottles does anyone know?

On 13/05/2019 at 10:26, Durbanite said:

We have the 7.5kg bottle so not sure why the 5kg should be considered if you are unsure between a 5 and 10kg?  You can refill at most Morrisons fuel stations so no issue there.

You actually cant, 498 stores, 59 only with LPG.

• Thanks 1

At the risk of fred drift. what price are people being charged for a 6kg calor lite refill ?

kot

pigs

12 hours ago, SuperRed said:

Do FloGas fill Safefill bottles does anyone know?

No only their own.

Geoff

46 minutes ago, pigsfly said:

At the risk of fred drift. what price are people being charged for a 6kg calor lite refill ?

kot

pigs

The last time we refilled a Calor Lite a few years ago it was close to £27.  No idea what the cost is now as cannot refill Calor Lites any more.

Hi guys we have 2 x 7.5kg safefil bottles in our swift they fit well and last ages we mainly tour off grid so use gas mainly over electric. We previously had the light weight 6kg bottles a new bottle at £26 would last approx 3/4 days depending on weather temp now a full safefil lasts 4/5 days and costs around £7 to fill locally it's a no brainer for us plus the advantage of weight saving. ps we tried the 10kg bottle which did fit however was tight and I think you would really struggle with two as they have to go in locker sort of sideways and when first bottle in second would be a nightmare my advise have one regular bottle and one 7.5 kg safefil that way if you can't refill you have regular gas back up 

20 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

The last time we refilled a Calor Lite a few years ago it was close to £27.  No idea what the cost is now as cannot refill Calor Lites any more.

Yes you can still get exchanges of Lites.  I ran out at a CMC site in April and bought one at about the same £27 (maybe £28?). Someone reported on here they got one from Go Outdoors recently.

28 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

At circa £27 calor lite would be circa £4.50 per kg. I paid £28 last week £4.66 per kg, That would make flogas gaslite @£3,80 per kg a bit more attractive if you can fit the 10kg cylinder in your locker.

The price of the cylinder ( rental!! ) is quite large as it seems to be a purchase not rental but they can be found on the bay of E or facebook market place as very reasonable costs.

kot

pigs

34 minutes ago, pigsfly said:

At circa £27 calor lite would be circa £4.50 per kg. I paid £28 last week £4.66 per kg, That would make flogas gaslite @£3,80 per kg a bit more attractive if you can fit the 10kg cylinder in your locker.

The price of the cylinder ( rental!! ) is quite large as it seems to be a purchase not rental but they can be found on the bay of E or facebook market place as very reasonable costs.

kot

pigs

Can you still exchange Calor Lite for another Calor Lite as I thought they had all been withdrawn?

17 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Can you still exchange Calor Lite for another Calor Lite as I thought they had all been withdrawn?

They are getting to be hard to find, as when they get damaged calor will not refill them so it is an ever smaller number on the market.

kot

pigs

18 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

You can, if you can find one.  They are still refilling them at Calor but the supply of good bottles is dwindling.

Dave.

3 hours ago, shipbroker said:

No only their own.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff

3 hours ago, Durbanite said:

All our local caravan dealers have plenty as have the main distributer, but I have only seen the standard bottles at the DIY type shops.

Agree stocks at dealers and the odd garden centre or two here.

geoff

Our local dealers always seem to have plenty of lites!

It’s not the availability of calorlite’s but the cost of the gas that is the issue for me.  As in the winter I can go through 6kg in 3 nights an extra £9 per night is uneconomic. I’m lucky I’ve got Safefill x 2 and a Morrisons within 1 mile of home where I can refill.   Before the advent of safefill.  I used to use a 13kg Calor with a 6kg as a back up.  When the 13 ran out I would switch to 6kg and replace 13kg ASAP.  I would do this for 4 or 5 cycles.  Then use up the remains of the 6kg bottle.   

On 20/05/2019 at 17:08, JTQ said:

It's really nasty sometimes of the day getting back onto the A31 though, been there!

I always stay in the inside lane instead of trying to get across any of the 4 lanes then going upto the Ashley Heath roundabout and go straight over to join the A31 . 

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave
  • Thanks 1

Just topped up one of my Safefill bottles. Cost 52p a litre

On 20/05/2019 at 14:52, CommanderDave said:

You could try the garage on the A31 by the the Fish Inn at Ringwood .

Where are the 2 you found ?

Dave

Refilled my Gaslow system last night with Autogas there 64.86p Lt .

For information .

One of the best things we have done caravan wise, wished we had bought them years ago, no more wondering how much gas is in the bottle, how long will it last, just go fill up before we set off. We are very lucky our local Morrisons (Barnsley) have gas, and a few fairly local garages will allow filling. Just had 6 nights away off grid, less than £6.00 to refill bottle.

Mark

On 20/05/2019 at 10:04, cps23 said:

Refillable Gas Bottles - what you may need to know

I recently bought one of these refillable gas bottles. The concept is brilliant and the cost saving potentially significant. And the quality of the 'Safefill' one that I bought, seemingly high. There is only one problem..

When I went to my local Shell garage, they refused to allow me to fill it. Apparently it is company policy. I wrote to Shell who confirmed for various reasons that they do not allow the refilling of 'containers'. I wrote to Safefill highlighting this and they say they have sold many bottles. Fine..if you happen to live in the right area. I then checked their 'partners map'. Where I am (south Hampshire), if you draw a line from Bournemouth through Southampton, Fareham, Guildford, Basingstoke, Winchester, Salisbury and back, there are only two suggested outlets that will allow refilling. This is clearly a significant area and 'a bit of a blow' having just forked out £170. In a more generous radius of 35 miles from where I live..an area of getting on for almost 2000 sq. miles, there are 3. I bought mine from 'The LPG Shop' and there was no reference to the potential shortage of outlets in some areas in their Ebay ad. Maybe I'm just in the wrong area.

So do your research! Because although The LPG Shop have agreed to refund me, this doesn't answer the problem and won't help if you make your purchase, from whatever  manufacturer, only to find you can't refill your bottle locally

On 20/05/2019 at 11:10, JTQ said:

Not in my part of Hampshire, some Morrisons sell fuel yes, but anywhere near me they don't have an LPG pump.

The point made by "cps23" is a very valid one, I know I have wanted a Safefill since they came to the market, just I wanted to be able to use it rather than simply own it.

Does this map help?

350B5626-C79D-44A5-8B64-0316B1D60A7C.png

7E646098-A24A-4B0B-A59F-DE23C2AB85EF.png

Thanks "wigelywoo" it is interesting to note, but for me it involves a 71 mile round trip if coming from home, though a lot less if in the Forest.

As a point of general interest, as that is an Esso forecourt, are they more relaxed  about allowing portable refilllables than, say Shell are, or is this specific one  just more relaxed?

JTQ, this garage for me is a 400 mile round trip. Fortunately I use it when staying near Verwood for the odd 4/5 weeks.

I have a filling station only 7 miles from home which I have only used once in two and a half years. I try to fill up on my way home, or, when away I usually fill up on a day out. Verwood to New Milton/Lymington.

I rarely use EHU and last year I used £21 worth of gas over a 5 week jaunt saving £21 a week ehu.

Just a quick update. 

So I bit the bullet and got a 10kg Safefill. 

Just did the first fill - Safefill advise only 15l on first fill. 

£10.50 for this- roughly 7.5 kg. 

Another thing I noticed, how much lighter the bottle is, compared to a steel 6kg calor. 

It it looks like a win win. Lower cost. Lower weight

• +1 1