Sign in to follow this  
Lost in the wilderness

Considering changing to Safefill

Hi all. Considering changing from Calor to Safefill bottles. 

I am aware of the cost savings- it’s the main driver for this. 

Can’t decide on what size to go. 10kg or 5kg. Currently I use 6kg calor.  Anyone have experience or suggestions on this. 

The other concern I have is supply. I have done some searching and it seems the SE corner is fairly poorly served.  Anyone with experience around the Eastbourne area, of refilling. 

Thanks all

2 minutes ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

Hi all. Considering changing from Calor to Safefill bottles. 

I am aware of the cost savings- it’s the main driver for this. 

Can’t decide on what size to go. 10kg or 5kg. Currently I use 6kg calor.  Anyone have experience or suggestions on this. 

The other concern I have is supply. I have done some searching and it seems the SE corner is fairly poorly served.  Anyone with experience around the Eastbourne area, of refilling. 

Thanks all

I chewed it over a year or so ago but then the decline in LPG stations has kind of made me stay as I am. If the 10Kg will fit and you have the spare capacity of 4Kg why not go for that? You can at least just buy 3 or 4 kg of LPG as you wish unlike Calor it's the full capacity.

If it is a challenge to refill it, as it would be for me, then logically the bigger the bottle the less frequently you face the challenge. As long as you have room for an easy to exchange Calor bottle for those times the refilling your own is a challenge too far.

We have the 7.5kg bottle so not sure why the 5kg should be considered if you are unsure between a 5 and 10kg?  You can refill at most Morrisons fuel stations so no issue there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Only those Morrisons with fuel stations that actually do LPG, obvious but not all Morrisons that even have fuel stations also do LPG. Mine being one that's fuel station does not.

• Like 1

We've never considered this as our gas seems to last for years so any saving would take more than my remaining lifetime to achieve. However, I did have LPG powered cars for 12 years or so and found the following useful:

http://www.lpgmap.co.uk/

http://www.getlpg.org.uk/

3 issues 

Will it fit? if a 10kg fits in your locker I would certainly go for that. 

Can I fill it?  I haven’t a clue about your local situation. 

Is there any stock availability just checked the Safefill website and it is showing out of stock for all sizes.

Finally do you use enough gas to justify one?

1 hour ago, fred said:

3 issues 

Will it fit? if a 10kg fits in your locker I would certainly go for that. 

Can I fill it?  I haven’t a clue about your local situation. 

Is there any stock availability just checked the Safefill website and it is showing out of stock for all sizes.

Finally do you use enough gas to justify one?

Our 10kg bottle fitted okay in our previous caravan however it was a very tight fit in our new caravan so we downgraded to the 7.5kg which we find is more than adequate!  Something worth bearing in mind for the OP.

No issue if there is a Morrisons store nearby.

Now stock that is a different issue as they never seem to have stock!

With us it was not the deciding whether it was cost effective, but that the bottle was lighter, less expensive to refill and it was one up on Calor with their silly prices.  LOL!

Refillable Gas Bottles - what you may need to know

I recently bought one of these refillable gas bottles. The concept is brilliant and the cost saving potentially significant. And the quality of the 'Safefill' one that I bought, seemingly high. There is only one problem..

When I went to my local Shell garage, they refused to allow me to fill it. Apparently it is company policy. I wrote to Shell who confirmed for various reasons that they do not allow the refilling of 'containers'. I wrote to Safefill highlighting this and they say they have sold many bottles. Fine..if you happen to live in the right area. I then checked their 'partners map'. Where I am (south Hampshire), if you draw a line from Bournemouth through Southampton, Fareham, Guildford, Basingstoke, Winchester, Salisbury and back, there are only two suggested outlets that will allow refilling. This is clearly a significant area and 'a bit of a blow' having just forked out £170. In a more generous radius of 35 miles from where I live..an area of getting on for almost 2000 sq. miles, there are 3. I bought mine from 'The LPG Shop' and there was no reference to the potential shortage of outlets in some areas in their Ebay ad. Maybe I'm just in the wrong area.

So do your research! Because although The LPG Shop have agreed to refund me, this doesn't answer the problem and won't help if you make your purchase, from whatever  manufacturer, only to find you can't refill your bottle locally

Did you ask if you could fill it or did they stop you when you tried to fill it?

No Morrisons with gas nearby? They are supposed to allow filling.

3 minutes ago, AndersG said:

No Morrisons with gas nearby? They are supposed to allow filling.

Not in my part of Hampshire, some Morrisons sell fuel yes, but anywhere near me they don't have an LPG pump.

The point made by "cps23" is a very valid one, I know I have wanted a Safefill since they came to the market, just I wanted to be able to use it rather than simply own it.

Biggest problem with Safefill is that they never have any stock! I been trying to get one since August or something. No stock until April and then they sell out in May!

Hi..they stopped me as I was just about to fill. I was bit miffed because I had the impression that they could be filled anywhere that sold LPG! I'm in the New Forest and my local Morrisons doesn't sell it.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, cps23 said:

Hi..they stopped me as I was just about to fill. I was bit miffed because I had the impression that they could be filled anywhere that sold LPG! I'm in the New Forest and my local Morrisons doesn't sell it.

Do you know if either the Verwood, or Totton Morrison's fuel stations have an LPG pump, please?

The one at Waterlooville, way to the east in Hampshire does not, checked that out recently in my quest.

Edit: Not checked the Basinstoke one, if anyone knows?

Edited by JTQ

21 minutes ago, cps23 said:

We never bother with topping up near home as we top up when out and about with the caravan as we have always found a place within a short distance of a campsite.  Obviously one day we may have an issue, but then we will worry about it at the time.  We have paid the extra and topped up at a Calor refill pump.  Instead of 60p I think it was just over 80p a litre.

Calor refill pump?

Dave.

22 minutes ago, JTQ said:

Do you know if either the Verwood, or Totton Morrison's fuel stations have an LPG pump, please?

The one at Waterlooville, way to the east in Hampshire does not, checked that out recently in my quest.

Edit: Not checked the Basinstoke one, if anyone knows?

JTQ, according to something I read on another forum, if you e-mail Morrisons they will send you a list of their stores with LPG.

John

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

JTQ, according to something I read on another forum, if you e-mail Morrisons they will send you a list of their stores with LPG.

John

Thanks John, that I suppose is the logical approach, till now I look when refuelling, but it has been bleak for viable LPG.

Indeed, as soon as I find somewhere [not Morrisons admittedly] they pull having the pumps, four in recent times gave up!

Not Totton I'm afraid

Posted (edited)

Have you looked on this site??

https://www.filllpg.co.uk/

geoff

Morrisons have LPG at 59 of their stores.

Edited by shipbroker

Just now, shipbroker said:

Have you looked on this site??

https://www.filllpg.co.uk/

geoff

Finding LPG pumps is  in itself not the issue, even though here they are becoming history, it's finding the ones where you without being clandestine about the operation you manage to refill a portable bottle.

So on that list, write off all the Shell stations, not that it is richly populated with anything in the South.

3 hours ago, cps23 said:

You could try the garage on the A31 by the the Fish Inn at Ringwood .

Where are the 2 you found ?

Dave

2 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

Dave

They were on the Safefill website...but I can't get the map to open atm.. It looks as though there are quite a few locations on the map, but when you enlarge it you see that even in the highest area of concentration, by my estimation there is on average about one every 100 sq.miles. 

I guess I am most miffed at the retailers. It may be that it is not their responsibility to point out the lack of outlets. But it just seems like a bit of a con to me. Just my view.

2 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

Dave

It's really nasty sometimes of the day getting back onto the A31 though, been there!

17 hours ago, cps23 said:

They were on the Safefill website...but I can't get the map to open atm.. It looks as though there are quite a few locations on the map, but when you enlarge it you see that even in the highest area of concentration, by my estimation there is on average about one every 100 sq.miles. 

I guess I am most miffed at the retailers. It may be that it is not their responsibility to point out the lack of outlets. But it just seems like a bit of a con to me. Just my view.

That map is a bit outdated.  They used to have a POI for Safefill outlets but that was terrible to use as we found out.